Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #61
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Maybe you missed it, but the Flames did sign Gawdin to an ELC. Like most junior players is still a long shot for the show, but a big deal for him to get a contract.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 PM   #62
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
^Maybe you missed it, but the Flames did sign Gawdin to an ELC. Like most junior players is still a long shot for the show, but a big deal for him to get a contract.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Sorry, I may not have been clear in my post. I was stating Gawdin will certainly not beat Krywaluk's Broncos scoring record (not sure if anyone ever will), although he is having a stellar season.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #63
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Interesting to see Brayden Burke become the first player in the WHL and CHL with 100 points, but still doesnt have an NHL contract.# Its obvious the kid has skill. I've heard off ice things that are issues, but that's in the past as hes apparently matured.
Doesn't hurt playing with Halbgewachs. These guys are having a beauty year. Haven't heard of any issues through the grapevine, I think he just needed a fresh start.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #64
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Doesn't hurt playing with Halbgewachs. These guys are having a beauty year. Haven't heard of any issues through the grapevine, I think he just needed a fresh start.
As are Gawdin, Heponiemi, Steenbergen for the Broncos. 5 of the top 6 point leaders in the WHL from 2 teams. The Broncos/Warriors are so much better than all other teams in the eastern conference this year, although the central division is pathetic.
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAME ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #65
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
It happens. Jason Krywulak had two 100+ point seasons for the Broncos in the early 90's and never got an NHL sniff. His 161 point season in 92'-93' is still a Broncos record that won't be broken anytime soon. Gawdin's having a great year but won't come close. I got to know Jason when playing with the Dinos, tremendous hockey player and a fantastic guy.
Burke is quick and skilled. Has really good playmaking skills, a little undersized. That's the way the game has now shifted, so him going undrafted is kind of shocking; but at the same times its not as he was an idiot with things he did off the ice. Since I wrote that post I've heard NHL teams are looking at him now that he has apparently figured out things.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #66
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Rebels are hilarious.

From Dec 16th to Jan 20th the went 0-7-6.

During that time the SOLD HARD, trading away most of their talented vets for picks and young players. They also spent some time in last place in the entire WHL during this slump.

At that point their record was 10-24-9.

Since then they've gone 11-2-1 and blown past a slumping ICE team for 3rd place in the weak Central Division.

They have more wins in the last 14 games than they had in the first 43 games! With a much younger team to boot!

In that streak they've beaten teams like Moose Jaw, Kelowna twice, Victoria and Vancouver.

Will be interesting to see if it's smoke and mirrors, or if they will actually be a tough out for one of the higher seeded playoff teams. They've actually had the Tigers number this year, so they might want to see the Canes pass Med Hat for first place in the Central.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 PM   #67
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Burke is quick and skilled. Has really good playmaking skills, a little undersized. That's the way the game has now shifted, so him going undrafted is kind of shocking; but at the same times its not as he was an idiot with things he did off the ice. Since I wrote that post I've heard NHL teams are looking at him now that he has apparently figured out things.
You're right in the way the game has evolved. Fast, smart, sub-5'10 players are no longer overlooked just because of their size, even on defence (Jared Spurgeon). Krywulak is 5'11 and back then was considered 'smaller'.

What's the scoop on Tyler Wong as he falls into the same mix (size wise) as Burke? Had some prolific years in Lethbridge yet went undrafted. I know he got an invite to the LGK camp in September and performed quite well but is now playing in the ECHL.

Last edited by FLAME ENVY; 02-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #68
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Brayden Burke whos finally figured out things. Signed with the Arizona Coytoes yesterday.

Jermaine Loewen is another name in the WHL I hear has gotten NHL attention as a free agent. Improved every yr in Kamloops, especially his skating. A poor mans Wayne Simmonds is a fair comparison in my eyes, but with way less skill.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #69
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strong allegations here from former Tips star Tyler Maxwell as Oregon considers a minimum age exemption for the Winterhawks.

Quote:
Maxwell alleged that during his time with the Everett Silvertips, where he played from 2008-09 until 2011-12, he suffered a broken kneecap when he was hit during a game by a slap shot. Maxwell testified that he was refused X-rays after the injury, insulted by a team trainer and then forced to play on the broken bone for seven games.
Quote:
“I was still scoring so they didn’t care what shape I was in,” he said.
Quote:
When he finally left a team practice early and demanded to see a doctor, Maxwell testified that X-rays showed a break.
Quote:
The doctor couldn’t believe I was skating on it,” he said.
Quote:
“Teachers would say, ‘Score two goals and I’ll give you an A. Give me a signed puck and I’ll give you an A,’” he said. “I got Scholastic Player of the Year [for the 2008-09 season] and I took three courses my senior year.”
Quote:
“There was no limit on how long they could keep you at the rink and they did not provide food for us, only water, protein powder and Gatorade,” he said.
https://www.tsn.ca/whl-to-examine-al...ment-1.1016035

Old 03-06-2018, 08:37 PM   #70
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not WHL related but OHL. Yikes... Givani Smith threw the referee to the ice trying to get at Kelton Hatcher tonight No idea why he was still allowed in the game after his stupidity. Cross check to the face right before was just as stupid.

Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 AM   #71
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The WHL playoff format is idiotic. Regina/Swift Current is likely to be a great series but it should be one we see in the second round, not the first.

And the fact one of Lethbridge and Red Deer will automatically be in the second round and Pats/Broncos won’t, is dumb. Saskatoon misses the playoffs despite having more points than Red Deer/Lethbridge is again dumb.

Yes, nothing is automatic and the 8th seed could beat a 1 seed but at least reward regular season play. This format is fine in theory for divisional rivalries but in reality its rewarding average teams at the expense of good ones.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #72
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's definitely messed up that one of the 8th or 9th ranked teams in the conference are guaranteed an appearance in the 2nd round, and that the 7th placed team doesn't even get a playoff game, especially seeing how that 7th placed team had to play a ton of their games against Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Regina and Brandon. Meanwhile the Canes and Rebels played against Kootenay, Calgary and Edmonton who were 3 of the 4 worst teams in the entire league.

It should be:

Moose Jaw vs. Lethbridge
Swift Current vs. Saskatoon
Regina vs. Prince Albert
Brandon vs. Medicine Hat

The Rebels should be nowhere near the playoffs, and the Canes (my team) should be 1st round fodder for the Warriors.

What's even more crazy is that the winner of Red Deer and Lethbridge will then face the winner of Med Hat and Brandon. Neither of these teams are juggernauts either really, so one of those 4 teams will end up in the 3rd round playing for the Eastern Conference title.

It's like the CFL. Pretty messed up.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 03-18-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:28 PM   #73
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dean Brockman fired by Saskatoon shows how much of a joke the Priestner family is yet again. Reading the reasoning for releasing Brockman I shake my head. Statement reads that team was in a playoff position down the stretch and he couldn't finish? Lets see here, sitting in a playoff spot you traded his best players for peanuts.

Brockman had this team playing some of the best Blades hockey in recent memory. He is a great coach and an even better person. He will go on to do great things with another organization and will make an positive impact on kids lives elsewhere. Meanwhile the clown show will hire another Priestner or another family friend of the Priestner's to be the HC I would guess.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #74
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

The first two rounds in the east are going to be blood baths. The Warriors have been decimated on D and are going to be lucky to get out of the first round. Swift is on a slide as well and their last game with us and Regina were gongshows. They might be able to smarten up and take out Regina but I doubt it.

Whoever makes it to the East final is going to be battle worn and Med Hat might have a good chance to take them out.

I have never had a more defeated feeling than after our last game. Got to see them presented with the Scotty Munro while half our back end was sitting in the stands.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:25 AM   #75
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The WHL playoff format is idiotic. Regina/Swift Current is likely to be a great series but it should be one we see in the second round, not the first.

And the fact one of Lethbridge and Red Deer will automatically be in the second round and Pats/Broncos won’t, is dumb. Saskatoon misses the playoffs despite having more points than Red Deer/Lethbridge is again dumb.

Yes, nothing is automatic and the 8th seed could beat a 1 seed but at least reward regular season play. This format is fine in theory for divisional rivalries but in reality its rewarding average teams at the expense of good ones.
Pretty much has to be this way when you are bussing kids around. Cost control and practicality means there has to be divisional play the first two rounds. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not when there is an imbalance between divisions. But in the long run it works as well as can be expected.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #76
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoff time!

Moose Jaw vs Prince Albert - 6 games - PA hot down the stretch, MJ beat up on the blueline but MJ still too strong
Swift Current vs Regina - 7 games - Injuries up front cost Swift
Medicine Hat vs Brandon - 6 games - Brandon goes 1-2 in the Hat, but 3-0 at home
Lethbridge vs Red Deer - 7 games - Homer pick, head says Red Deer, heart says Canes

Kelowna vs Tri City - 5 games - TC a pretender, shouldn't have bought at deadline
Victoria vs Vancouver - 6 games - This one has upset written all over it IMO
Everett vs Seattle - 5 games - Everett and Hart too much for defending champs
Portland vs Spokane - 5 games - Portland steam rolls the Chiefs

My picks in bold.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 03-21-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:55 PM   #77
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moose Jaw in 5
Swift Current in 7
Brandon in 6
Red Deer in 6

Kelowna in 6
Vancouver in 7
Everett in 5
Portland in 6

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 PM   #78
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's my picks:

Moose Jaw in 6
Swift Current in 6
Medicine Hat in 7
Red Deer in 6

Kelowna in 6
Victoria in 6
Everett in 6
Spokane in 7

I'll be in Spokane next week to see games 3/4 of that series. I have a family member who plays for the Chiefs so I follow them closely. Should be a great series, the Chiefs have won the last 3 meetings and I'm confident they can do it.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #79
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Moose Jaw in 6 as our D seems to be recovering. Gonna miss Shuldhaus though
Regina in 6 as Regina is hot and Swift is falling apart.
Brandon in 5 they have been playing well lately
Red Deer in 6 I just think Sutter is a big factor in how this team performs.

Kelowna in 6
Victoria in 6
Everett in 4
Portland in 6

I don't know much about the west except I expect Hart to get Everett to the finals in short order.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #80
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

That call on Dube is one of the worst I’ve ever seen in a hockey game. Dube cross-checked from behind by Bean, driving the net and flys straight into Dea.

No way in hell he deserved 5 for charging. Thats Steve Papp at his best. He might be better off officiating Atom hockey games.

Last edited by Drake; 03-22-2018 at 11:32 PM.