Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #121
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I have a young child just starting to play hockey and I get cold sweats when I hear stories of how much it can cost. I want him to have fun and enjoy the game but a big part of me doesn’t want him to be good enough to make these sort of high priced camps necessary, I hope he goes through his hockey life just like me as a career house leaguer, who makes some good friends and is able to enjoy the game when he is an old man and put a couple in the net at beer league.
As scary as some of these stories are, community hockey can still be a great thing. The early years are all about fun and learning new skills. Even at an older age, not every kid or parent is about gunning for a AAA spot. There are grassroots leagues and spring leagues which are basically pond hockey sessions, 3 on 3 with basically no instruction or coaching. These were great fun for my older boy and a good way to get exercise. Really nothing to do with NHL or scholarship expectations.
I understand the concern regarding concussions, unruly parents, bad coaches, etc., but my experience has been that those were not generally a problem. It is up to the parent to instill a good attitude in the kid and not to project his or her own issues.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #122
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To be fair, this is really not just about spring hockey. I've had two boys in spring hockey. They've had a great time. I've also seen some disappointing things. But talking to my friends with kids in club soccer, club basketball, even club volleyball and it seems like it may be even worse. People in Canada are generally more knowledgeable about hockey and there has also been a lot of effort put in to the behavior of parents etc. by Hockey Canada. I believe from my experience that it has actually led to a healthier top tier environment than other sports. I would also add that elite programs for the other sports are at least as expensive if not moreso than hockey. One of my best friends figures that he puts in more than $5k into his little daughter's soccer program every year.

Last edited by Tacoman; 06-02-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #123
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Community hockey is the relaxed, 'for fun' hockey compared to the spring hockey talked about in this thread.
I understand that, but I was commenting on the quoted entry, which showed concern regarding minor hockey in general.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #124
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
I have a young child just starting to play hockey and I get cold sweats when I hear stories of how much it can cost. I want him to have fun and enjoy the game but a big part of me doesn’t want him to be good enough to make these sort of high priced camps necessary, I hope he goes through his hockey life just like me as a career house leaguer, who makes some good friends and is able to enjoy the game when he is an old man and put a couple in the net at beer league.
You don't have to have your child in anything more than minor hockey. As long as he likes playing and your comfortable with it time wise and financially that's all that matters.

Last edited by burn_baby_burn; 06-02-2014 at 06:22 PM.
burn_baby_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_baby_burn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 PM   #125
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
So how has the spring league gone for everyone so far? My sons team, the 2007 Rustlers has gone 8-8 playing silver and gold teams (we are silver). Wrapping up the season this weekend with a tournament in Calgary.
My son's team pretty much lost every game we plated in (07 Foothills Thunder out of Airdrie). For some reason most of the team doesn't have any aggresion towards the puck. They skate well, there is just something missing in their game. That being said, my boy is a good skater, has learned a lot during the year, and has really enjoyed himself. It actually makes me sick watching him skate because I'm not even close to his level.

It cost around $2,000 after hotels and meals, but he enjoyed it more then soccer or lacrosse that we've tried in previous years.

The other 07 Foothills team (Outlaws) has done pretty well I understand.

We'll keep the option open for him next year. It'll be up to him.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #126
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Just because you can afford it doesnt mean that its a wise way to spend money.
But, but, but... my child is so special. Not to mention he/she is fulfilling a dream I was never able to realize.
#storylineblackswan

When I have kids, for sure I'll be pushing for them to play whatever they want. I would hope hockey... but I also want him/her to have a balanced understanding of different sports and combine those understandings to have a deeper understanding of the game.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:08 AM   #127
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
My son's team pretty much lost every game we plated in (07 Foothills Thunder out of Airdrie). For some reason most of the team doesn't have any aggresion towards the puck. They skate well, there is just something missing in their game. That being said, my boy is a good skater, has learned a lot during the year, and has really enjoyed himself. It actually makes me sick watching him skate because I'm not even close to his level.

It cost around $2,000 after hotels and meals, but he enjoyed it more then soccer or lacrosse that we've tried in previous years.

The other 07 Foothills team (Outlaws) has done pretty well I understand.

We'll keep the option open for him next year. It'll be up to him.
We played you guys in Airdrie a couple weeks ago. Also in Cochrane in April in a tournament. The other team beat us both times. They have one player that pretty much beats you all by himself. Best 2007 player I have seen.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #128
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
But, but, but... my child is so special. Not to mention he/she is fulfilling a dream I was never able to realize.
#storylineblackswan
Don't assume just because someone can afford it means the parents are thinking their little one is making the NHL. Some parents recognize all their kid wants to do is play hockey and are able to provide that opportunity to their kid.

It may not have been your intent, but your post comes across just as ignorant and offensive as the bad parents out there.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #129
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have any preconceived notions about my sons chances of making it. He isn't athletic enough to ever have a chance to play at that level. He is athletic, no where near world class though.

I heard all these terrible experiences about spring hockey before the season started, however our experience has been great this season. The coaches are great, the other parents are great, it has been a lot of fun for my son and my wife and I. Too be honest, I enjoy it more than minor hockey. Better structured practices, more competitive games. I cringe thinking about going back to half ice, no score keeping, playing with kids that can't skate in October.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #130
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Don't assume just because someone can afford it means the parents are thinking their little one is making the NHL. Some parents recognize all their kid wants to do is play hockey and are able to provide that opportunity to their kid.

It may not have been your intent, but your post comes across just as ignorant and offensive as the bad parents out there.
Well, it was indeed meant to be tongue in cheek, but I apologize.

I never once thought all parents think their kid will be a future NHL player. Just one of the best on the team (as the parent may or may not have been at one point).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #131
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I don't have any preconceived notions about my sons chances of making it. He isn't athletic enough to ever have a chance to play at that level. He is athletic, no where near world class though.

I heard all these terrible experiences about spring hockey before the season started, however our experience has been great this season. The coaches are great, the other parents are great, it has been a lot of fun for my son and my wife and I. Too be honest, I enjoy it more than minor hockey. Better structured practices, more competitive games. I cringe thinking about going back to half ice, no score keeping, playing with kids that can't skate in October.
Half ice no score keeping, novice in Red Deer?

There is positives from playing with "lesser players". The better players can work on things like passing, and making the others on the team better through their play.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #132
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Half ice no score keeping, novice in Red Deer?

There is positives from playing with "lesser players". The better players can work on things like passing, and making the others on the team better through their play.
Yep, I'm told half ice before Christmas for novice in Red Deer.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #133
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have flashbacks like a Vietnam Vet from the amount of Stampede Challenges and Showdowns in Cowtown I had to work when I was younger.....their is no greater hive of scum and villainy then spring hockey.....

Honorable mention to the GDI goalie camp which skipped out on their bill after two weeks of ice time.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RinkRat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #134
soma
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
I have flashbacks like a Vietnam Vet from the amount of Stampede Challenges and Showdowns in Cowtown I had to work when I was younger.....their is no greater hive of scum and villainy then spring hockey.....

Honorable mention to the GDI goalie camp which skipped out on their bill after two weeks of ice time.
My son played 7 years of spring hockey and the memories and friends made over that period were worth every penny, in my family's eyes. Still at every rink we enter we run into great friends to catch up with. But to each their own, I can understand animosity from family of kids cut or couldn't play for financial reasons, but truth is if you can afford it its a great experience for the whole family. our family anyways...
soma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #135
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma View Post
My son played 7 years of spring hockey and the memories and friends made over that period were worth every penny, in my family's eyes. Still at every rink we enter we run into great friends to catch up with. But to each their own, I can understand animosity from family of kids cut or couldn't play for financial reasons, but truth is if you can afford it its a great experience for the whole family. our family anyways...

Heh it's all good, I come at it from the perspective of being an arena employee. So I'm jaded dealing with the "management" of those spring camps, parents were normally great though.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #136
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
..their is no greater hive of scum and villainy then spring hockey......
You have obviously never been to an Oakland Raiders game.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #137
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The stampede challenge/champions cup guy is apparently a greasy mutha. Please expand on the stories!!!
Putting on these tournaments is his full time job. He also runs a few other around the country NA classic in Winnipeg (I think) and in the States including Las Vegas. http://www.naaaacc.com/news.htm He use to run slow pitch tournaments for adults to but not sure if he still does.

He has perfected exploiting everyone from the parents, to outside vendors. Cutting deals with hotels forcing teams to stay at certain places or banishing them from the tourney. Sub letting kiosk space inside arena lobbies for vendors, paying refs different amounts based on availability, starting games for novice aged kids at 8:30pm which turns into 9:30 as all the games run late. The tourneys also have the worst raffels, which are totally for his profit and the prizes are really awful ( got Zellers (Venture) quality duffle bags for 2nd place a few years ago, winners all got jackets that were fitted for the coaching staff, I mean the jackets were bigger then the kids' jerseys.

He really thrives on the "un sanctioning" of spring hockey and runs things however he sees fit. He has been around for a long time and has secured himself prime week end rentals in prime locations. And he knows how parents are nowadays towards their children and cashes in big time on it.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #138
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh yeah the tiering and competition levels are all over the place to as spring hockey is not just for the "elite" and more and more teams are created every year. And the formats are usually a joke but what can you expect when you have 12 teams, who each play four games, then determine which two play in the final.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-04-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #139
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll put my 2 cents in as well...
I played six years of spring/summer hockey back in the days when there were only a few teams in Calgary. I even played as an underage my first year for a team in Lethbridge even though we lived outside of Calgary (mom and dad said it was my decision to play if I wanted to and they would support me, which is hilarious considering I was only 8 or 9...haha). Out of all the years, there was only one where I didn't extremely enjoy it and looking back it was my fault because I didn't communicate to my parents that I didn't want to play that spring and they just assumed I did. I have a ton of great memories from spring hockey and I feel I received some of the best coaching and developed the most during the spring. I was very fortunate to play the highest level at all age groups of minor hockey and was able to have a pretty good junior career too and I don't think I would have been able to do it without the coaching I received in spring hockey.

More recently, I have coached spring hockey over the last 10 years. I definitely feel it has changed; before it was about getting the best players together for some fun and going to tournaments and now it is definitely more about making money for some of the "club" teams. One thing I do like is that if a kid is passionate and wants to play there are far more opportunities even if they aren't "elite." I know a couple of kids that I have worked with that were able to really develop their skills over a couple of years and become really good hockey players because of the opportunity to work hard over the spring.

In response to burn out and mono...I played a ton of hockey and never had mono...haha. I do believe the burn out concerns are valid, but I think it is important to make it the kids choice. I played as much hockey as I could and I never felt burnt out. I think what most kids struggle with is the politics and other crap that unfortunately comes with the game these days. I read a great quote the other day: "stress is doing something for long hours that you don't really care for; passion is doing something for long hours that you love." I think this really applies to our young hockey players as it seems many of them like hockey, but to put in those kind of hours you need to really love it. I do think it is really important that the kids are also able to participate in activities outside of hockey too, so that there is some balance. The most burn out I have seen recently is from kids that play high level hockey in the winter and high level lacrosse in the spring. For whatever reason, this seems to be causing more burn out than spring hockey players (from my purely anecdotal experience anyways).

And lastly, I think the real issue I see is performance schools like Edge and Tanbridge. I have seen so many kids riding the bus at insane times of the day and spending a crazy amount of time on the ice each day. I've coached some AA and AAA teams and you can tell which players are part of these programs as they really seem to hit a wall in January and February, which makes total sense considering the amount of hockey they have played in the year.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2014, 09:51 PM   #140
Pepper2489
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What spring hockey program are you coaching with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pepper2489 is offline   Reply With Quote