Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
The big money comes in the bonuses. As a draft pick he only gets what the standard bonus structure is. Sign with the Flames today - get max NHL base and this round bonus money (if you stay in the NHL, enjoy your AHL paycheck). Wait till UFA and get max bonus money ($2.8 mil) and no AHL time. If he believes in himself and wants to max out UFA is the way to go.
No the real big money comes in the 2nd contract. If he waits until August of 2020 to become UFA, he will be waiting until 2023 to get to that deal.

Quote:
Yes, it is only through rumor that I have heard about "guaranteed spots" in NCAA UFA negotiations.

No idea what this means.

Quote:
Yes, things will change over the summer, but the draft is where we will be sitting and watching unless we play a chip or two.
Oh I get it....the draft is going to suck as far as picks go, but thats where the deals for players will happen. I have no doubt that BT will be a busy guy those few days though. He simply cannot come back with a roster resembling the current one next season.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #62
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
The big money comes in the bonuses. As a draft pick he only gets what the standard bonus structure is. Sign with the Flames today - get max NHL base and this round bonus money (if you stay in the NHL, enjoy your AHL paycheck). Wait till UFA and get max bonus money ($2.8 mil) and no AHL time. If he believes in himself and wants to max out UFA is the way to go.

The Flames can offer up the same ELC bonuses as any other team. They are all capped out the same regardless of which round a player is picked or if he is UFA.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #63
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
The Flames better be offering Fox the same contract. They cannot #### around with this kid. Especially after this season, should be priority no.1 right now.

The fact that Hamonic and Stone might make Fox walk is sickening. I'd give up those two for Fox in an instance. Mark my words, Fox will run a no.1 PP unit in the NHL and he will be damn good at it. Flames cannot lose this kid, anyone saying trade him for a first has never watched him play.
I sure hope Fox hasn't watched the Flames much this year and instead focused on his team and his schooling.

Flames will find a way to #### this one up, I've got a bad feeling about this Kid not wanting to be apart of the flames and I sure hope I'm wrong.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #64
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

How often does a college player actually not sign with a team? Wasn't there panic about Jankowski and Gaudreau as well?
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #65
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
How often does a college player actually not sign with a team? Wasn't there panic about Jankowski and Gaudreau as well?
Yes and yes.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #66
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I sure hope Fox hasn't watched the Flames much this year and instead focused on his team and his schooling.

Flames will find a way to #### this one up, I've got a bad feeling about this Kid not wanting to be apart of the flames and I sure hope I'm wrong.
At the end of the day it’s the Flames’ depth in D prospects- and the fact the Flames have not done a great job of working their own D prospects into the NHL lineup - that I think might keep Fox away from the Flames.

These guys all want to get into the NHL as quickly as possible.

The issue with the Flames is there aren’t a lot of obvious openings on D at the NHL level. And they’ve already got some really good prospects in Anderson, Valimaki and Kylington. If Fox doesn’t think there’s a solid shot of him getting into the NHL within the next couple of years he’ll sign with a team that has a weaker D pool.

EDIT: I wasn’t as worried about Gaudreau and Jankowski because the Flames had obvious depth issues at forward and there was lots of opportunity for them to get into the NHL lineup quickly. I don’t really see the same opportunity for Fox.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #67
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The obvious move is to trade a couple D - to make room for players like Fox, and to bolster the forward group (and/or recoup picks). Two birds.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:50 AM   #68
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nothing personal but Brodie and Stone bye bye... Maybe we can package Hamonic and Ferland to Winnipeg for Trouba and a pick if he still wants out (and wants to play here) . Then we have room for Anderson, Fox, and Valimaki.

Brodie and Stone should get us at least one decent forward and a pick or two. Then we still have to replace Ferland ( one of my favs on the team but is beginning to worry me with possible concussion issues long term)
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 AM   #69
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

One consideration and i am just spit balling.

It could be that Fox and the Flames have agreed he will be signing a deal to come here but they want to wait before doing so. The reasoning being that the Flames are at 49 contracts right now and have their eyes on a college UFA or 2 that they want to pursue once those players season is done.

Then as of July 1 when several deals are off the books they can sign Fox and start his pro career in the fall after young stars tourney/training camp and have a better idea where he should be to play next season.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #70
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Treliving won't have to burn a year off of Fox's FA elegability years to sign him. The NHL has to close that loop hole it puts the team that drafted the NCAA player at a disadvantage.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Nothing personal but Brodie and Stone bye bye... Maybe we can package Hamonic and Ferland to Winnipeg for Trouba and a pick if he still wants out (and wants to play here) . Then we have room for Anderson, Fox, and Valimaki.

Brodie and Stone should get us at least one decent forward and a pick or two. Then we still have to replace Ferland ( one of my favs on the team but is beginning to worry me with possible concussion issues long term)
That better be a hell of a pick. I wouldn't do Hamonic for Trouba straight up.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 02:01 PM   #72
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Hopefully Treliving won't have to burn a year off of Fox's FA elegability years to sign him. The NHL has to close that loop hole it puts the team that drafted the NCAA player at a disadvantage.
Nothing can change his UFA eligibility. No matter when he signs, he'll be eligible for UFA status on July 1, 2025 (the year he turns 27). The only way that could be reduced is if he was on the Flames' active roster for 40 games this season, which isn't possible at this point.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #73
flamestar16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ryan Donato just signed with the Bruins. He foregoes his final year of eligibility and was easily the top Harvard player. Wonder if this has any effect on whether Fox decides to come back for his Junior season.
flamestar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #74
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Unrelated-but-related topic, but how was Brendan Hickey's season? I see his stats were a bit worse this year than last year (-5), but I have no scouting on him. Anyone see him play a bit at all?
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #75
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Signing him before year is out allows him to get to his 2nd contract quicker. That should be an advantage for the team that drafts an NCAA player, right?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #76
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Signing him before year is out allows him to get to his 2nd contract quicker. That should be an advantage for the team that drafts an NCAA player, right?
That and he would still get his ELC signing bonus for that first burnt year. So if he signed and played a game this season he would get 90k plus game cheques and then another 90k on July 1st when the new season starts. Almost 200k, which isn't too shabby for a 4 month stretch.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:40 PM   #77
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestar16 View Post
Ryan Donato just signed with the Bruins. He foregoes his final year of eligibility and was easily the top Harvard player. Wonder if this has any effect on whether Fox decides to come back for his Junior season.
You would think that Donato would have a harder time making the Boston team the way they are playing now than Fox would be in playing for Calgary's D. The clearly promised him something just like Calgary will to Fox.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #78
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
You would think that Donato would have a harder time making the Boston team the way they are playing now than Fox would be in playing for Calgary's D. The clearly promised him something just like Calgary will to Fox.
Boston has a tonne of injuries right now, that might have been a good motivator for him signing early. I am sure the Bruins pointed it out to him also.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #79
flamestar16
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezer View Post
Boston has a tonne of injuries right now, that might have been a good motivator for him signing early. I am sure the Bruins pointed it out to him also.
Three points for Donato is debut and game isn't over.
flamestar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #80
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something in the water in Boston. Donato looked fantastic out there.

I'm all for Fox playing this year if he comes out looking like that. Shut Stone down or something and let the kid play. At least he'll be motivated.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote