Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #41
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Even this amount of exercise is still quite a bit. I try my best, but I'm probably only getting in 2 workouts a week - I'm lucky if I'm burning an extra 800 calories in one week, let alone a day.

I've always believed weight maintenance is 90% diet and 10% exercise. This doesn't mean exercise is not important, as it has a host of other benefits, but in terms of people working on their weight only, good diet is pretty much the only way to be successful.
Weight maintenance is 100% about caloric balance and weight loss is 100% caloric deficit.

Exercise merely burns more calories to aid in reaching that balance or deficiency.

"Can't out run a bad diet" simply means it's nearly impossible to burn more calories than you take in if you're not (carefully) watching what you're eating.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #42
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I did the Wim Hof Method (WHM) and it was a really incredible experience
How did you begin with this? I was intrigued by your post and checked out his website. The video course is $200. Did you buy that and did you find it was necessary?
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #43
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The WHM app is free now. That will give you enough to get started. You can always purchase the 10 week course later if you want to go deeper into the method.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #44
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have been slowly trying to rehab my ankle with those rubber bands and such. It's been seven weeks now ugh, I destroyed it. Looking forward to getting back to exercise. I rarely eat breakfast so go intermittent eating!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 PM   #45
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
The average guy that goes to the gym to lift weights, but spends half the time on his phone or chatting probably only burns around 300 calories in a 45-minute workout.
Even that is very optimistic. I have three weight routines I do, they take about 30-40 minutes, one minute rest between sets. I don't even reach 300 calories doing that.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 PM   #46
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Have been slowly trying to rehab my ankle with those rubber bands and such. It's been seven weeks now ugh, I destroyed it. Looking forward to getting back to exercise. I rarely eat breakfast so go intermittent eating!
I'm trying to rehab an old ankle injury. Any tips?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #47
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
My advice would be to goto any physio place and buy some of their rubber bands or 'physio' bands. There are some good exercises, the one that worked best for me is to stand on the ankle and pull the band (attached to a door or anything waist height) cross-body repeatedly. Then do it from the other side. It really helps to strengthen the intrinsic muscles that may have been weakened after injury.

Another one is to do ankle lifts off of the edge of a step. In any case, I would say just go to physio once and they'll give you some exercises to do that are specific to the kind of injury you have. Pick up some of their bands and then you basically don't have to go to physio again.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 02:49 AM   #48
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Another one is to do ankle lifts off of the edge of a step. In any case, I would say just go to physio once and they'll give you some exercises to do that are specific to the kind of injury you have. Pick up some of their bands and then you basically don't have to go to physio again.
This is not how physio works.

Depending on your injury, you may see physio (on average) 4-8 times for a complete rehab. Plenty are less, some are more.

Rehabbing an injury involves far more than just "some exercises". Rehab is a progression based on adapting injured tissue to load by stimulating healing, restoring proper mechanics, and progressive load. Exercises will change and become more difficult, joints need to be mobilized and/or manipulated, and muscles/ligaments/tendons need to be worked on.

If you only need one session then your injury was probably going to heal with time anyway. And note that pain free does not mean proper mechanics have been restored as you may have residual stiffness/weakness.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 AM   #49
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Find a Physio place it's worth it.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #50
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
How did you begin with this? I was intrigued by your post and checked out his website. The video course is $200. Did you buy that and did you find it was necessary?
I bought the original video course and think it is necessary. The WHM is so unusual that you really need the nuanced explanations he gives in the videos to really wrap your head around it. I also think Wim is one of the most intriguing people alive, so I found it really interesting to see how his mind works and how he approaches things. $200 USD definitely feels a little steep, but I now consider it money very well spent. I don't know anything about the app, so I can't help there.

"The cold is not my enemy, it is my teacher and my friend." - Wim Hof
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #51
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For those unfamiliar with Wim, this Vice mini documentary is a great intro (remember when Vice was cool? I miss cool Vice)

Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #52
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys. Going to start training for a triathlon - more specifically I need to join a gym with a pool. I do live inner city so was thinking eau Claire YMCA but at $103 a month for 3 months including sign up fee that seems pricey.

Anyone have any other options? Maybe just for lane swimming too?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #53
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Hey guys. Going to start training for a triathlon - more specifically I need to join a gym with a pool. I do live inner city so was thinking eau Claire YMCA but at $103 a month for 3 months including sign up fee that seems pricey.

Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre might be an option.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...Beltline.aspx#
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #54
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Beltline Aquatic & Fitness Centre might be an option.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...Beltline.aspx#
Which would be a great idea if it wasn't shutting down for renos next month (May I think). Neat little pool... it's shorter than a regular 25 meter pool. I think it's 25 yards? around 20 meters. You could work on your turns
What about Repsol? Not the cheapest, but occasionally makes lanes 50 meters, which I like.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #55
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Repsol Centre would be the next closest to you, I think.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #56
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok thanks guys.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:38 PM   #57
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

Nice! Which race are you doing?

I priced out the costs, and just swimming 3 times a week worked out about the same as a membership at the Y (not Eau Claire).
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #58
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Nice! Which race are you doing?

I priced out the costs, and just swimming 3 times a week worked out about the same as a membership at the Y (not Eau Claire).
Woodies in Red Deer. Not a true triathlon length I don’t think but the 750 m swim will require some training for haha
Old 03-26-2018, 01:01 PM   #59
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw that one on the race calendar. Heard good things about it, but I'm already committed to doing the standard length at Chinook the week before.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #60
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started IFing at the beginning of the summer, and it's been amazing for me; down about 30 pounds right now from the beginning of May (3 months), while still giving me lots of energy for exercise and general fitness. I typically aim for about 16:8 or 18:6, but have stretched my fasts up as high as 24 hrs, with no cheat days. I'm not formally tracking my calories or macros, but I'm maintaining a solid deficit every day while trying to keep a high protein intake. I think that at the end of the summer I'll be switching to more of a maintenance diet, and at that point I think calorie tracking will become more important.

I first became interested in fasting when reading about some very early-stage studies (just in lab rats at this point) showing some potential of IFing for alzheimers prevention. I've got a prevalent family history of alzheimers, and so I'm looking for positive things I can do at this point in my life to reduce my future risk. But even if it's not effective for alzheimers prevention, the other positives I'm getting from it have made it a great fit for me.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote