Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #61
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
A month without Mike Smith tells you exactly who Gaudreau's having a fantastic season as well, it's really close.
Rittich went 3-4-1 in that month. Some of those losses (@Colorado, @Boston) were games the Flames would have lost with Smith in net, because the Flames were nothing short of awful in them. For reference even Smith went 3-5-2 in December. Rittich was terrible in the Vegas game, which is causing revisionist history. And even then, was Rittich worse in that Vegas game than Smith was in the Tampa Game, Islanders game or the Sharks game? Heck, we don't even come out of the Boston home game with a point if Rittich hadn't stood on his head.

Beyond that, Gillies not being an NHL-caliber goalie 3rd stringer is not unique to the Flames, and even then Gillies won us a couple games.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 03-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #62
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
A month without Mike Smith tells you exactly who the team MVP is. Gaudreau's having a fantastic season as well, it's really close.
It's not really that I mind people naming Smith as the seasons MVP, I just feel like Gaudreau isn't mentioned often enough in that discussion

I'd put it this way: Smith might be the biggest reason the team wins, but Gaudreau is the best reason to watch them do it

(Ultimately of course you need sometime to lead the offense AND someone to carry the defense.)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #63
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I disagree and first of all I never said the words "blow it up", you did. They will have very little to show for the upcoming draft and and are missing picks from the 2019 draft as well which will set the developmental depth back. Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone are all UFA in two years and while you may think that replacements are in the pipeline when has this organization ever shown it has the patience to develop their defensemen outside of Brody? Gaudreau is only a Flame realistically for three more seasons as he may have to be traded before the last year of his deal unless they are fine with losing him for nothing in free agency. This team is going to look a lot different in three years.
You said rebuild. Rebuilds generally mean blow it up. But if that's not what you meant, so be it.

You can write off the 2018 draft all you want, but there's still 3 months to go and it would shock me if Treliving didn't make a deal or two to get some more picks in the first couple of rounds. Same with the 2019 draft. The Flames do have movable assets.

So your "setting the developmental depth back" comment lacks much merit until we see what is done at the drafts.

And what does past management's lack of patience regarding defencemen have to do with the current regime? We have no idea how they're going to handle the development of the list of solid D prospects this team has. I haven't been led to believe they're not going to holding them back or are hampering the development. They have a good chunk of D prospects/assets. That's a good thing, a luxury that many teams would love to have.

Wouldn't shock me at all if Brodie was deal this offseason making room for Rasmus to make the jump for next season.

Most if not all teams do look a lot different after three years, so not really sure that point is all that strong either.
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #64
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
It's not really that I mind people naming Smith as the seasons MVP, I just feel like Gaudreau isn't mentioned often enough in that discussion

Also; Smith might be the biggest reason the team wins, but Gaudreau is still the best reason to watch them do it
Totally fair.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:57 PM   #65
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up, the game is on Sportsnet One and Sportsnet (but not the West channel, Oilers are on).

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to hwy19man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #66
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy19man View Post
Heads up, the game is on Sportsnet One and Sportsnet (but not the West channel, Oilers are on).
Gotta make sure Sportsnet show the Oilers important annual lottery draft drive
Old 03-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #67
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone start a GT, I did last time and we crapped the bed so I am not.
Closed Thread