Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Mark Stone is probably more untouchable in Ottawa than Karlsson (because of the UFA status of the latter). He may be the one guy they intend to keep no matter what.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #102
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Two things:

- We aren't going to attain Stone or Karlsson. We don't have the assets and I don't think Ott trades either one without it being a massive pay.

- Do we really want to trade for LHed UFAs or ones that are nearly 30? Especially if we are trading Bennett to do so? We need a younger RHed winger or a lefty that wouldn't cost us Bennett.

I know it's nice to imagine some of these trades happening but most don't make sense in the real world.

*not trying to be a jerk, just saying
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #103
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I did some digging on Carolina.Their top goalie prospect is Alex Nedjilkovich (spelling?) He's rocking a 2.99 gaa and a .897 sv% in 31 gp. Gillies on the other hand is rocking a .915 and 2.64 gaa in 29 gp. Their guy is two years younger than Gillies but it looks like Gillies has put up better numbers across the board in previous years.

I don't know if Gillies is such a marked improvement over their top guy to reel in a scoring winger off their roster.

But it may buy a player like Valntin Zykov who is having a good season on the farm team. Already has bested his previous seasons points totals in 24 less games played, and has scored 23 goals this year alone instead of last seasons 16. So he is progressing nicely. Stocky RH/RW who seems poised to break into the NHL.

Tricky thing is, Carolina also has a RW depth issue. So they may not favor that kind of swap. But Ndjelkovich or whatever is about their only decent goaltending prospect so who knows.
The other thing to remember with Carolina is they now have stable, wealthy ownership and are looking to immediately bring attendance back up and put a winning product back on the ice, as opposed to their usual motto of selling off good talent in exchange for cheaper future talent.

Any moves that take away current NHL talent probably came off the table when the ownership buy in was approved.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 03:25 PM   #104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I would offer Bennett+Gillies+Fox for Mark Stone.
I needs to be stated again, he's basically their Gaudreau just for some perspective. I know it's fun to try to put together a package that allows us to keep our star players and add Stone, but it's so far from reality, it's absurd. If they were even entertaining the idea we'd 100% be shipping a coveted core player the other way.

Imagine you're sitting here two years ago and a fan proposal to acquire Gaudreau was a near bust winger prospect, a goalie that could maybe become a starter and a highly touted defense prospect that could be great or could aslo easily bust due to his size.

What's your response? It would be laughed off as an absurd trade proposal, unhinged from reality.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #105
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Why can't CP just be more patient with Bennett? The coaches refuse to put him in positions to grow his confidence, they've put Brouwer on that line that just sewers his production but calling his lack of development a disappointment is fair but I think it's more representative of the coaching staffs failure to properly manage personnel and lines and force Bennett at centre for so long. Try him at right wing FFS
I was a big advocate and preaching for patience with Bennett early when he was struggling. Was super excited for the noticeable improvement during that middle stretch. But he looks like completely useless and only good for a dumb penalty or 2 each game again.

I would really like to see him benched. These stretches where he just loses all composure and fails to play the ways that made him successful in short bursts is unacceptable.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #106
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the trademark of a young player seeking consistency. Nothing wrong with that IMO with him on the 3rd line. It would be another story if he was being depended on in a top 6 role right now.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 04:34 PM   #107
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mark Stone is probably out of reach unless Hamilton is involved going the other way (which I would consider cause i'm not high on him).

Hoffman is probably doable with prospects and he might actually be the best fit. He won't score any dirty goals in front of the net but he has a wicked one timer with his wrist and slap shot. He would immediately improve the power play stationed in the high slot or RW. He really is exactly what the Flames need for the powerplay as there isn't a single shooter on this team who can rip a one timer.

All the smoke around the Sens has to be for Hoffman. I don't see what Zach Smith brings that the current roster doesn't already have.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #108
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Flames still tracking Buffalo a fair bit? I mean if they're dangling Gillies or Rittich the Sabres are king of in a rut for goalies. They do have a couple good ones in Ullmark and Ukka Pekka Lukkonen but nothing really on the immediate horizon. And Lehners been a bust for them. Does a Rittich or Gillies get you a decent Reinhart or Nylander?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #109
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Gillies would make a lot of sense for Ottawa. Anderson is getting real old and Condon is basically a tandem stopgap.
What exactly would Gillies get you from Ottawa? 10 dollar gift certificate to Tim Horton's?
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #110
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies who have some critical mass of nhl experience barely have much trade value, why would Gillies? His ahl career has been ok, nothing exceptional.

I'd prefer to keep him and have him and Rittich continue to battle for #2/3 spots on the org's goaltending depth chart.

The offseason is where treliving makes his move in my opinion. Hopefully next season we see further drop off of the Cali teams, Vegas coming back to earth a bit. I'm sure teams like Edmonton and maybe even Arizona surge a bit, but so should the flames.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #111
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something around Gillies and Kylington for Hoffman would be a good trade for both sides.

I would like to see Frolik on the Jankowski-Bennett line. Having a solid vet like that wold be beneficial to those young players
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #112
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If you want to add more smoke to this rumor:

Parsons was sent down to KC today and McDonald called up to Stockton.

Stockton plays back to back games Friday and Saturday.

Maybe Gillies starts both Heat games this weekend to showcase him?

Would explain why Parsons was sent down. Will play ECHL games.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #113
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Word is the Kansas City coach said Tyler Parsons will be with KC for this one game and back with Stockton afterwards.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #114
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would keep Parsons in KC. Let him play every game. Better for McDonald to sit on bench as the backup and then Gillies can play 90% of the AHL games.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #115
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Something around Gillies and Kylington for Hoffman would be a good trade for both sides.

I would like to see Frolik on the Jankowski-Bennett line. Having a solid vet like that wold be beneficial to those young players
That would be Treliving’s biggest robbery yet. I just can’t see it. He has impressed before but that would be on another level

Gillies and Kylington are like our number 6 and 7 prospects
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote