Exp:

Apple rejects seal hunt game
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...-club-429.html
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 PM   #42
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Haha, awesome. The guy's complaining about allowing Deer Hunter, but blocking seal clubbing.

I'm not a fan of hunting at all... but there's a pretty big difference between shooting one animal with a rifle, and beating another one to death with a hammer.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #43
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I like what Flash can do, I just HATE when it's an annoying resource hog on my Mac. This thing is five years old, I'l give you that, but when it was brand new Flash sites weren't much faster back then, either.

If it's that bad on a Mac, I don't want to imagine Flash on an iPhone.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #44
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Haha, awesome. The guy's complaining about allowing Deer Hunter, but blocking seal clubbing.

I'm not a fan of hunting at all... but there's a pretty big difference between shooting one animal with a rifle, and beating another one to death with a hammer.
According to the article, he's up in arms about the bias against the seal hunt. Apparentely the game is designed so the player has to follow same rules that Canada's real seal hunters do.

I don't think the real hunters use Flintstones style wooden clubs though.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 AM   #45
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

i guess the difference is the seal's death is usually instant, where a deer can sit there suffering until the hunter comes over and puts it out of it's misery
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #46
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Microsoft sides with HTML5

Microsoft’s comments aren’t a thorough condemnation of Flash. Hachamovitch described Adobe’s standard as still “an important part of delivering a good consumer experience on today’s web,” but also observed, “Flash does have some issues, particularly around reliability, security, and performance.”

http://www.9to5mac.com/microflash?ut...ontent=Twitter
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM   #47
BlackEleven
Redundant Minister of Redundancy

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That letter by Jobs is 80% baloney, hippocracy and arrogance, 10% red herring and 10% legitimate beef. If Apple had said it was the mouse vs touch ui issues 2 years ago none of this would be news.

I'd get into the letter more if I weren't on my phone.
That letter also inspired me to go on a rant. And then my browser crashed. Which just so happened to be Safari on OS X. I think Steve Jobs activated the killswitch on me or something...
BlackEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #48
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'll echo what Kyuusei said. Flash can do some great things, but the fact is there is alternative ways to do many of those things and not be a massive resource hog. Sure it's bothersome that it's not on the iPhone, but I have a feeling that if it was on the phone and did impact performance I'd rather it just go away.

My hope is that as these mobile devices become more prominent photographers and restaurant owners (for example), begin to realize that flash is not only expensive to produce and more difficult to edit than standard html, but is also impeding their customers to get at their content.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #49
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i guess the difference is the seal's death is usually instant, where a deer can sit there suffering until the hunter comes over and puts it out of it's misery
And thus all the new rules based on the gutting of still-live seals.
I think both are cruel. But I think eliminating drone bees in winter is cruel...
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #50
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Maddox's take on Apple
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #51
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Is he still around?

...or is that just his "The iPhone is a piece of **** and so is your face" blog?

Edit: Oh never mind. It's the "Mac users can't shut up" one.

Dude, I remember sending that to some Mac users 3 years ago when I was still super-excited about fixing my BSODs. Also, ironically, I don't see very many Mac users (on CP) hanging out in PC threads... but you cats are all up in the Apple threads.

Hmmm...

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-30-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #52
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Stepping into the Flash debate just hours after Apple CEO Steve Jobs issued his "Thoughts on Flash" letter discussing why Apple has elected not to include support for Adobe's Flash on its iPhone OS devices, Microsoft general manager for Internet Explorer Dean Hachamovitch noted this his company is throwing its weight behind the H.264 standard promoted by Apple for future HTML5 video content.

The future of the web is HTML5. Microsoft is deeply engaged in the HTML5 process with the W3C. HTML5 will be very important in advancing rich, interactive web applications and site design. The HTML5 specification describes video support without specifying a particular video format. We think H.264 is an excellent format. In its HTML5 support, IE9 will support playback of H.264 video only.

Hachamovitch goes on to acknowledge that video on the web today is primarily Flash-based, and while Microsoft continues to work with Adobe on Flash, he also notes that it carries some issues related to reliability, security, and performance.

Hachamovitch's comments suggest that while Microsoft recognizes the dominant role played by Flash, it is also looking ahead to the future, where it sees a much more prominent role for HTML5 and H.264, a view shared and being pushed forward by Apple in its decisions and communications.
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/04/30/...-video-content

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/201...ml5-video.aspx
Old 04-30-2010, 04:33 PM   #53
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Again, what makes flash great is the existing content for it which no other format even gets close to competing with. Of course Microsoft just like Google and Apple want to get away from Adobe dominating this field. That's why Microsoft tried so hard and threw millions of dollars at creating and pushing Silverlight. I wonder what the statement by Hachamovitch means for Silverlight.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:42 PM   #54
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Again, what makes flash great is the existing content for it which no other format even gets close to competing with.
The future is lightweight, low-power, interactive content on mobile devices. Flash just doesn't fit the bill anymore. Especially when you can get HD video through H.264 with considerably less overhead, and all the interaction through a completely standardized and open platform in HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.

Edit: You're right about Silverlight, though. That will be interesting. I just took a quick look at the website for it, and I see nothing about HTML5 or anything else. I don't even get the whole Silverlight thing anyway, although I always thought it was supposed to be closer to Adobe Air than Adobe Flash.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-30-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
You're fighting a losing battle with irrelevant arguments.

The future is lightweight, low-power, interactive content on mobile devices. Flash just doesn't fit the bill anymore. Especially when you can get HD video through H.264 with considerably less overhead, and all the interaction through a completely standardized and open platform in HTML5, CSS and JavaScript.

I don't understand why you're having such a hard time adapting to what is clearly the future.

Edit: You're right about Silverlight, though. That will be interesting. I just took a quick look at the website for it, and I see nothing about HTML5 or anything else. I don't even get the whole Silverlight thing anyway, although I always thought it was supposed to be closer to Adobe Air than Adobe Flash.
What I am saying has nothing to do with you. Why not let me and other users enjoy all the flash content out there? If you don't want any of it, why keep rubbing it in other people's faces like how I keep saying I hate Apple

There's nothing wrong with future standards but I am always an advocate for retaining support for old formats so that people can enjoy old things. My primary interest in computers has never been professional software, but small developers, homebrew, home programming, etc. and Flash has the largest user base in that area. You could argue that I would like something like the app store concept, only I wish it was uncensored by Apple and accepted everything. I decide what I software I want to be able to use, not the company.

In the end, I firmly believe that is amazing work that there has been done in Flash and it is a shame to not be able to appreciate it simply because it is in the wrong format that doesn't jive with your future standards. I still have boxes of VHS tapes I need to convert to digital format one day. I always kept vinyl records, never got on the CD bandwagon. I still have large amounts of video in realplayer format (fortunately, there are realplayer codecs for MPC/VLC) that I won't ever be able to find in newer formats.

There is no reason why users should not be able to view and enjoy flash content. If Apple wants to encourage future standards, protect it's app store, maintain platform stability, etc. allow a 3rd party company to create a plugin for those who want to use it while Apple themselves could prevent people from making new flash content with their products or making any flash based apps.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #56
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Oh I don't care about whether or not people use Flash websites. Have at it. I have Flash installed on all my PCs and Macs. I've even been known to load an ebedded flash applet a time or two...

You just can't have it both ways though. You can't rag on the iPhone or iPad for not having Flash, without also having to hear iPhone and iPad users remind you that Flash is a dieing technology.

I think you and I just have differing views on technology. I'm all about progress and efficiency, admittedly at the cost of leaving people behind and also with some of the pains of early adoption. You seem to be more concerned with sticking with what already works and what is already mastered.

Ultimately, both sides have their pros and cons.

Edit: Also, just to be clear, you don't have to keep reminding me not to take things personally. The only things I take personally are personal attacks. All this other stuff... if I seem like I'm defending something, it's because I'm defending something I believe in. I'm not defending myself personally.

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-30-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #57
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
You just can't have it both ways though. You can't rag on the iPhone or iPad for not having Flash, without also having to hear iPhone and iPad users remind you that Flash is a dieing technology.
Dieing isn't dead. Flash might suck, but I'd still rather have it than not, or at least have the option of having it.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #58
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-30-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #59
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What I find funny about the whole Flash debate is that if we compile a list of devices that can consume web content, we come up with the following:

- PC's (Mac and Windows)
- Game consoles
- PDA's (eg. iPod Touch, Zune)
- Smartphones
- Tablets (ie. larger than a PDA, touch or stylus driven, not running a PC OS)
- internet radios and information appliances (eg. Sony Dash)
- in-car systems (eg. cars equipped with Ford Sync (primitive, but improving))

Of these, the PC's implement Flash well, the consoles not that great, and basically, none of the other categories handle Flash content well or at all.

So on the whole, the number of ways to consume web content is continually increasing, but the number of well implemented Flash capable devices is not.

Each of these devices needs to consume and display content in a way suited and adapted to its particular interface and usage scenarios. With open standards like HTML5, the device can choose how to render content. With Flash, the device can only render content as dictated by the developer.

So all in all, web consuming devices are proliferating, each with their unique needs for how they display and allow interaction with content, Flash is not proliferating out quickly, or at all, to a lot of these devices, and the Flash engine itself does not provide the flexibility that HTML5 and other technologies do in terms of allowing devices to process and make sane choices for displaying content.

Apple may be the most vocal, but I doubt they are the only players in the emerging internet appliance space that don't want or need Flash to accomplish their vision.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #60
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

that kinda looks less impressive when you can already play the full version of Quake 3 in browser, full multiplayer

http://www.quakelive.com