Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 03:23 PM   #7501
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I just buy all my clothing from my pal's store now. Expensive but leisurely.

https://shopnorthamerican.com

Is that the lumbersexual place in Inglewood? Nice stuff but I could never justify the price tag.
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #7502
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well, I can see why your coworkers may not care if they ever see you again.

For the rest of us, we actually like the people we work with. Especially since I spend 40+ hours a week with them and only a few hours per week with friends.
Your inability to develop a personality that those of us who aren't mandated to would want to spend our time around isn't a compelling reason to dismiss policies that could benefit society as a whole.

EDIT: I'm just busting your balls, btw.

Last edited by rubecube; 10-23-2020 at 03:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #7503
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I look at the Golden Age of Fossil Fuels (1910 to 1970ish?) as taking out a big bank loan to start a new business. You get things going, you get a bit comfortable, but you still have to pay back that loan.

We are currently at the stage when we are several decades in arrears to the bank, and the letters are starting to get more threatening.

It can be done! Even making land use slightly more efficient pays off huge dividends to the climate. Changing a neighbourhood from single family homes to duplexes reduces carbon emissions by over 17%.

I am also of the belief that certain activities will have to shift faster. Long distance transportation, heating and cooling might have to rely on fossil fuels for a little while. We should be taking steps to start curtailing unnecessary behaviour though through a carbon tax or similar measures.

A carbon tax is one of the best ways to change society’s behaviour in a market driven way. I hate that people are so opposed to it (ironically Conservatives more than most even though it is a thoroughly conservative approach). In reality it will need to several or multiple times higher to drive the right behaviour e.g. if gas was ten dollars a litre you might choose to live closer and take transit or walk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 03:32 PM   #7504
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Is that the lumbersexual place in Inglewood? Nice stuff but I could never justify the price tag.
The japanese-made socks they carry are really nice, if you just want a taste.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #7505
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's all pricey, but well worth it.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #7506
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Holy crap, do you guys have that much trouble maintaining a social life and making friends outside the office?
This I can agree with. I have never relied on my work interactions to fill my social needs. I like the folks I work with fine enough, but I dont find my life impacted in much of any way by working from home. I get enough socialization with close non work friends, family and thru my sporting interests elsewhere.

I have never understood how reliant some people are on social clubs at work, etc.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #7507
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
This I can agree with. I have never relied on my work interactions to fill my social needs. I like the folks I work with fine enough, but I dont find my life impacted in much of any way by working from home. I get enough socialization with close non work friends, family and thru my sporting interests elsewhere.

I have never understood how reliant some people are on social clubs at work, etc.
I think it's probably more important for people who are married with kids. I'm single, with no kids, and almost all of my friends don't have kids either. From Friday after work until Sunday evening, I probably spend anywhere from 10-20 hours with friends, so by Monday morning I'm pretty burnt out on interacting with others anyways.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #7508
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post

Anyone who has spent 8 months working 40 hours a week alone with no face to face interaction with any humans would say this. Unless you’re a total shut in who hates people or a psychopath. Or both.

And social clubs at work? Lol. I’m talking about normal people who I chat with at work.

Some people need a balance between solitary confinement and group settings. There’s a reason solitary is literally a form of torture.

We’re not in high school anymore, you don’t have to pretend you’re too cool for such things.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #7509
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone who has spent 8 months working 40 hours a week alone with no face to face interaction with any humans would say this. Unless you’re a total shut in who hates people or a psychopath. Or both.
I don't know that that's fair. I get along perfectly well with my co-workers. I just really dislike small talk and that's what a lot of office chit-chat is (at least in my workplace). And like I said, most of my need for face-to-face interactions are covered by my weekend activities.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 04:13 PM   #7510
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy crap, do you guys have that much trouble maintaining a social life and making friends outside the office?
Yes?

But I'm a bit of a cantankerous ####### these days, so it's not a big surprise that I've struggled to maintain friendships.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:22 PM   #7511
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know that that's fair. I get along perfectly well with my co-workers. I just really dislike small talk and that's what a lot of office chit-chat is (at least in my workplace). And like I said, most of my need for face-to-face interactions are covered by my weekend activities.
Extroverts can't really understand introverts, and vice versa.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #7512
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. Not speaking to anyone for 3 or 4 days straight in the dead of winter can get feel really isolating.

Either way, OPs comment is totally off base. It is perfectly normal for people to want human interaction M-F, especially for people for whom it is more difficult to do activities mid-week.

I know I can't just talk to people on Fri evening/Sat/Sun without going nuts.

Plus, maybe your coworkers just suck? I definitely don't feel like my office life was nothing but inane chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Extroverts can't really understand introverts, and vice versa.
I would agree with this except I can't tell who is who in this scenario.

That and being an introvert is more about needing time to recharge after social interactions. It isn't really about not enjoying human interaction for days on end.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #7513
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

And social clubs at work? Lol. I’m talking about normal people who I chat with at work.

Some people need a balance between solitary confinement and group settings. There’s a reason solitary is literally a form of torture.

We’re not in high school anymore, you don’t have to pretend you’re too cool for such things.
Ok fair enough on the social club aspect, I was probably taking that too far.

Still not sure I see the need to be in physical presence with my coworkers though. In my case we use plenty of video conferencing tools to get face to face interaction still, and instant messaging keeps the banter going quite well. I dont consider my work at home situation to be solitary confinement, and I am not a social recluse, lol.

Anyways, this has drifted away from the real focus of this thread...getting the orange idiot out of office and hopefully restoring some semblance of normalcy south of the border.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:49 PM   #7514
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sam Seder nailed it yesterday, talking about how Clintons reputation and negative perception was cultivated by the right wing and fox news for years, if not a decade +. they simply didnt have the chance to slander biden that way, and its hurting them

you just know mayor pete and AOC will be mistakes they wont repeat. they will be slandered up and down the line. im a huge pete fan, him and AOC would be such an incredible ticket in 8 years
Old 10-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #7515
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

We just need to fast forward to the election.

Personally I worked from home for a looooong time, then after working with people again for a while I really miss it during the pandemic. And it's not that I can't make friends outside work, I'm just too lazy to do so.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #7516
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I'm a manager so nobody at work comes near me

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #7517
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Right about now I'm thinking one of those soft plaid shirts would do wonders
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #7518
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's all pricey, but well worth it.
How can $325 for a hoodie ever be worth it? Shoes, sure. Jeans, maybe. A hoody? NFW.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 06:23 PM   #7519
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s very hard to make new friends as an adult, especially as a male, without a child to introduce you first.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:45 PM   #7520
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1319777224871022592
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread