Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #1361
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Gov't of Alberta is requesting public input on desired changes to the Police Act and are doing a review on it. This is pretty important stuff (at least, imo) so here's your chance to have a say.

The survey is pretty quick-ish. It's your basic 5 multiple choice style. Each question has some space underneath for elaboration if you want, too. Wasn't too long.

https://www.alberta.ca/police-act-re...G5LyNGU8q1KJ7U
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 08:20 PM   #1362
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The Gov't of Alberta is requesting public input on desired changes to the Police Act and are doing a review on it. This is pretty important stuff (at least, imo) so here's your chance to have a say.

The survey is pretty quick-ish. It's your basic 5 multiple choice style. Each question has some space underneath for elaboration if you want, too. Wasn't too long.

https://www.alberta.ca/police-act-re...G5LyNGU8q1KJ7U
Well, that was surprisingly relevant to current events. I am pretty impressed by the questions asked.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #1363
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

This was making the rounds yesterday and the police are getting roasted, today it's picking up steam cause it turns out the kid was one of the kids featured on Roger's hometown hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1Kx2cAxDU

https://twitter.com/hometownhockey_/...606464?lang=en

What a mess. I can't believe how disrespectful people are these days. I would hate to be a cop having to deal with this kind of garbage.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:40 AM   #1364
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

doublepost
Old 12-20-2020, 09:00 AM   #1365
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
This was making the rounds yesterday and the police are getting roasted, today it's picking up steam cause it turns out the kid was one of the kids featured on Roger's hometown hockey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq1Kx2cAxDU

https://twitter.com/hometownhockey_/...606464?lang=en

What a mess. I can't believe how disrespectful people are these days. I would hate to be a cop having to deal with this kind of garbage.
I've seen the exact opposite - the kid getting roasted. Well, there's a thread about it already.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #1366
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Well, there's a thread about it already.
I expected that but couldn't find one.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #1367
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starts here, goes for a few pages:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=8742
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #1368
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks was just in there, not sure why I didn't search the Flames forum. lol.

Funny how social media is so much different, the facebook posts and replies I'm seeing are all anti authority. Good to see people here still have objectivity.
Old 12-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #1369
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Haha, this is literally the fourth thread featuring this story now. Main Corona, morons of pandemic, stand alone thread in FOI and now this!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #1370
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 12-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #1371
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks for the context. #### that kid.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #1372
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Thanks was just in there, not sure why I didn't search the Flames forum. lol.

Funny how social media is so much different, the facebook posts and replies I'm seeing are all anti authority. Good to see people here still have objectivity.
I find Facebook is very anti authority, and leans conservative. (Which I should say I do too) and then Reddit is very pro authority, and leans extremely liberal. Funny how 2 social media platforms can be so opposite

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #1373
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
I find Facebook is very anti authority, and leans conservative. (Which I should say I do too) and then Reddit is very pro authority, and leans extremely liberal. Funny how 2 social media platforms can be so opposite
I don't do reddit, maybe I need to start and get some balance in my life.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #1374
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think this is interesting in that it shows how non-violent low threat situations can result in people ending up dead. In this case if the officer tases him he falls , hits his head on the ice and dies and this is a different incident. Or during the takedown a skate blade takes out someone’s neck.

I think missed in all of the anti mask / anti lockdown discussion is a question around escalation of force by officers. Should an officer ever escalate it a person is not a danger to the public or to escape?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #1375
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I do think this is interesting in that it shows how non-violent low threat situations can result in people ending up dead. In this case if the officer tases him he falls , hits his head on the ice and dies and this is a different incident. Or during the takedown a skate blade takes out someone’s neck.

I think missed in all of the anti mask / anti lockdown discussion is a question around escalation of force by officers. Should an officer ever escalate it a person is not a danger to the public or to escape?
I think we know the answers here. This case likely is seen very differently with a few changes in the circumstances.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #1376
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is 2020. Clearly the answer is that it depends on how sympathetic we are to the person the police are confronting.

One of the trends the pandemic has accelerated is the abandonment of the universal application of principles. It’s emotion and tribalism all the way down.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 12-21-2020 at 09:01 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #1377
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
This is 2020. Clearly the answer is that it depends on how sympathetic we are to the person the police are confronting.

One of the trends the pandemic has accelerated is the abandonment of the universal application of principles. It’s emotion and tribalism all the way down.
That’s not the answer or part of an interesting policy discussion on the use of force.

This case because it lacks racial tension and lacks a severe outcome is an excellent place to start a discussion on what the police should do in these types of situations.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #1378
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Of course the problem is long term consequences of a policy of deference to anyone who might be violent or resisting arrest. If everyone knows the police will back off as soon as someone shows some resistance. There are going to be a lot more people willing to use that tactic. For most of us, knowing the results of not being compliant will make for an unpleasant and worse outcome helps motivate us to follow instructions.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 12-21-2020 at 01:09 PM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #1379
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am not so sure it's possible to enforce the rules of the land if there are no consequences for disobeying those rules.

The consequences of failing to comply with a lawful direction after committing an offense is getting arrested. If that somehow disappears, why would anyone voluntarily comply especially those with a propensity to commit crime.

I guess if society at large wants that - police cannot use force to effect an arrest for a traffic or bylaw offense, then I guess that's likely the direction the police would go. I can't imagine how that would look though.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 12-21-2020 at 09:42 AM.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #1380
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
I am not so sure it's possible to enforce the rules of the land if there are no consequences for disobeying those rules.

The consequences of failing to comply with a lawful direction after committing and offense is getting arrested. If that somehow disappears, why would anyone voluntarily comply especially those with a propensity to commit crime.

I guess if society at large wants that - police cannot use force to effect an arrest for a traffic or bylaw offense, then I guess that's likely the direction the police would go. I can't imagine how that would look though.
That doesn't seem entirely unreasonable, but that's not really the case at hand, is it?

He was being arrested for obstruction of justice and resisted arrest, so I think force, so long as it isn't excessive, is a reasonable method to gain that arrest.

I'm somewhat dumbfounded by some of the responses to this arrest (not yours, just to be clear). We've spent months seeing example after example of excess force (shootings, pulling lethal weapons for minor offenses, excessive force like slamming heads into pavement or causing serious injury or death otherwise) and for some people in at least some of these cases, it's been a scramble to justify it. Basically the idea that if you resist arrest, bad things happen.

But here we have a case where there was no excessive force despite the person resisting arrest. He was not shot, tased, or even injured. But some of those same people who were comfortable justifying force as a response to resisting arrest now take issue with it. Instead of it being about the application of force, it's more about whether people ideologically agree with the substance of the offence and the motivations of the offender. To me, that's a pretty dangerous precedent to set.

When you've committed an offence and you're being issued a ticket, you need to give your name. If you don't, you're likely to be arrested. If you resist, force will be applied. These seem like simple and acceptable things. We can disagree with police injuring or killing people, but to disagree with police doing their job and causing no harm seems like a desire to just have zero police at all.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: