Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Best and Worst Christmas Gifts You've Received?

Tis the season! I want to know the best and worst Christmas gifts you've received over the years? I will start off...

Best: Nintendo. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was 5 years old and it was the first Christmas I had spent at my Oma's house. I had been begging for a Nintendo since I first played duck hunt in a Canadian Tire. I still remember in the store, using my arms like a caliper to measure the proportions of the Nintendo Box and then comparing that to the box under the tree, I was 90% sure it was a Nintendo and I could barely sleep that night.

Worst: Last year my wife (who would probably shoot me for telling this story...) decided to buy me a trip to HER favorite city and tickets to see HER favorite sports team play. Now, I know you guys are probably thinking BOO HOO you have a wife who wants to travel and watch sports.. Well it wasn't even a sport I watch! Besides which, the trip cost me more than $6000 after the dust had settled and we usually have a budget of $200!!!

Close 2nd Worst: A framed giant picture of the head of a bald eagle. It was so creepy I "misplaced" it on the way home.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

For best I might say N64. My older brother was always given the consoles (Nintendo, Sega, Playstation) prior so the N64 was the first one that was mine. In retrospect my brother probably drew the short straw because outside of calling what games we played if we differed in opinion who "owned" the console didn't really matter. Might also go with my laptop, definitely more practical but there's a difference between getting a good present as a kid and a young adult.

Don't really have a worse, but I know this guys:

Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best gift: N64 I got as a kid with Super Mario 64. Thus began my addiction.

Worst gift: A huge box filled with phone books, that had this book at the very bottom.

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Best gift: When i was 4 or 5 i got a big toy treasure chest that had a bunch of awesome toys inside of it. Best. Christmas. Evar! Sucks that my mom gave all of the toys away once we moved to Calgary

Worst gift: A Picture frame.

EDIT: HAHA poor Huntingwhale.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 12-05-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Best gift: N64 I got as a kid with Super Mario 64. Thus began my addiction.

Worst gift: A huge box filled with phone books, that had this book at the very bottom.

WTF hahaha. Ruined a perfectly good gift with all those phonebooks.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a bit of a tangent, it wasn't too long ago that an easy worst for me would have been socks. But now as I'm looking at my toenail through a hole in my sock I'm really hoping I snag a couple pairs this year. I guess this is what maturity feels like.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

When you're a kid/teenager, the best gifts were the "nice-to-haves" that you couldn't afford on your own. Getting functional gifts, like socks from Grandma. blew chunks.

Now, at almost 30, the best gifts are functional because I'm getting old and hate shopping myself for stuff.

I'm crossing fingers that about 30 feet of 12-gauge speaker wire can fit into a stocking. God I suck.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best gift: Cookies. Lots and lots of home made cookies from everyone in the family. Can't go wrong with that.

Worst gift: One Christmas I got socks from an unnamed family member. Really? I can go to Walmart and get a $5 pack of socks I assure you I can afford socks. Also I hate socks, much like how I hate pants. Socks are like pants for your feet. They're just terrible.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ah yes, I definatly remember getting my NES for christmas as a kid, so exciting. I still remember how exiting it was opening it up and having my dad set it up. It was the last system where he was able to understand how to plug it into the t.v. I had an atari before that so I was so stoked to have color games and the amazing graphics lol.

The worst gifts were usually from my aunt who pretty much always got them from the dollar store.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best gift: Would of probably been my sweet orange CCM mountain bike when I was probably around 7 or 8 years old. Oh yea maybe my sweet Hot Wheels set (the one with the loop and the jump at the end)

Worst gift: You know I really can't think of a bad gift, I've had some useless ones that became obsolete after Christmas Day but they still had their time in the sun.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Best gift ever:

Panerai Arktos

Worst gift ever:
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

The epic playsets were the best. I had this one. Shocking right?

Spoiler!
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
bradster57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Best gift: The original Game Boy when I was about 8 years old.

Worst gift: Mouth wash. Maybe somebody was trying to tell me something.
bradster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
On a bit of a tangent, it wasn't too long ago that an easy worst for me would have been socks. But now as I'm looking at my toenail through a hole in my sock I'm really hoping I snag a couple pairs this year. I guess this is what maturity feels like.
I was actually disappointed when my mom stopped buying me socks and underwear for Christmas a couple of years ago. I hadn't bought either in 5 years because I got my yearly supply at Christmas.

Best: Original Nintendo, I was 5 and it was awesome

Worst: The coloring book from "Santa" that still had the price tag on it, that's when I knew he wasn't real anymore. I was old enough that it was time to figure it out, still disappointing though.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm... best present - that's tough

it's changed thru the years - back when i was a kid it would have been ANY lego set! ha! i remember the one christmas not only did i get lego, but i also got this....

i was in heaven!

now that i've 'grown up' i would have to say it's stuff like gear for my camera (lenses, camera bag, etc)

worst present - that's easy - pretty much anything from my sister over the years. a couple years ago she gave us some 'pottery bowl' she bought off a friend - it didn't even come close to going with anything we had. it's amazing how stuff like that just happens to 'disappear'
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #17
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best: A tie between an autographed Crosby jersey from the 2010 Olympics, and an Optimus Prime action figure

Worst: Dane Cook stand-up CD's
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #18
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best gift: SNES

When the SNES came out, electronics were still released in the US months before the Canadian release. Knowing how excited I was for this stupid thing, my folks drove down to the US to pick one up. I was the only kid in my hometown to have one for almost 2 months. It was awesome. I had no idea they went to get it, so I was running around the house like a madman when I opened it up. Managed to play Super Mario World for 12 hours straight (minus Christmas Dinner) that day.

Runner up: Lego monorail.

I realize that between the 5000+ piece Millenium Falcon, and robotics that can probably rival the mars rover, the space monorail pales in comparison. But hey, in the 80s this was pretty high-tech.

Worst gift: 5.1 speaker set

Not based on the gift itself, based on what a brat I was about it. I was more upset at the fact that I couldn't use them because I didn't have an amp to run them than excited that I was halfway to a seriously upgraded home theatre. It still upsets me that I was such a little prick about it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Best: 1080P 42" LCD TV (technically a boxing day gift, back when 1080P TVs were still expensive)

Worst: A $4 martini shaker from my aunt. I know that cause she left the price tag on.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

Gotta love trying to make the last couple of pairs make it just a few... more... weeks... haha. I've got underwear down to a science though...

Day 1 - Normal.
Day 2 - Flipped inside out.
Day 3 - Reversed and right side out.
Day 4 - Reversed and inside out.