Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #61
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just bought this for myself this Xmas!

Worst gift ever was this piece of crap.

Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 AM   #62
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i can't really recall getting a worst or best gift; however, a number of years ago a friend of mine received a pearlized unicorn statue at the annual office gift exchange and it was so funny that a couple of us were in tears. When he removed the wrapping paper, we all thought oh it is something cool in the box but nope, it was exactly as advertised on the box - it was a perlized statue of a unicorn.

I figured that someone was wrapping gifts and got tow mixed up and the person's aunt bernice recieved some small bottle of Stetson or something.

We decided to use the statue to give to the person that finished last in our office hockey pool, and it was either very mean or very funny since the person that gave it to my buddy was in the office and they had to see the unicorn being passed around for years.........

Now that i think about ti, my best gift may have been a Vertibird:

however, I may come back and post in the thread in a couple of days when I see what I get this year.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM   #63
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Worst: As a 13 year-old boy, my Grandma got me Snow White and the Seven Dwarves on VHS. Wtf?

Best: A full PA system for our band at the time. Nothing like a recently divorced mother with an influx of cash.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #64
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember growing up, it was always my Aunt and Uncle that didn't have kids gave the worst gifts. For me it was all about GI Joe and Star Wars. You'd think you couldn't miss but invariably they would get me some off-brand action figure from a different franchise that was always a different size and thus useless. I remember getting a white ninja from the "Rambo" line of toys that was an inch taller than any GI Joes. I also remember getting a random star wars vehicle that I had never even seen in the movie and was super lame.

Best gift ever was the GI Joe Hovercraft

Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #65
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Worst: As a 13 year-old boy, my Grandma got me Snow White and the Seven Dwarves on VHS. Wtf?

Best: A full PA system for our band at the time. Nothing like a recently divorced mother with an influx of cash.
My mother-in-law inexplicably got me Wall.E on DVD last year. It must have been on sale really low somewhere or a re-gifted. I don't have kids.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #66
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Wall-E is good and has some adult content. And can appeal to boys. Who would think of giving Snow White to a pre-teen boy?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #67
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best: goalie stick I got when I was 10. Or skis when I was 16.

Worst: Mom dug up some horrible poem I wrote when I was 8 or 9, complete with some terrible artwork and had it framed. She thought it was awesome. I think I hid how disappointed I was. Dad actually slipped me a $100 bill later on and said "I'm sorry."
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #68
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best gift ever:

Not only did I get NHL but also the Sega Master System. Easily the best gift ever as at the time (I was 12) I had just broken my ankle at the start of December and had to watch all my friends playing hockey on the street out front of my house. Although it took away from physical activity for a few months instead of watching my friends they were all over playing the game.

Worst Gift ever:

Ya same Christmas, this came from my Grandmother. She saw a clown and thought it was a movie about clowns, guess she missed the super creepy look and the going to kill you claws.
It came as 2 VHS tapes, I watched it and proceeded to develop a fear of clowns and the dark.......thanks grammy.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #69
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I remember growing up, it was always my Aunt and Uncle that didn't have kids gave the worst gifts. For me it was all about GI Joe and Star Wars. You'd think you couldn't miss but invariably they would get me some off-brand action figure from a different franchise that was always a different size and thus useless. I remember getting a white ninja from the "Rambo" line of toys that was an inch taller than any GI Joes. I also remember getting a random star wars vehicle that I had never even seen in the movie and was super lame.

Best gift ever was the GI Joe Hovercraft

I had that thing! Missiles shot out of it and everything. Used to play with it in the bathtub, I couldn't move at all but it was still awesome!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #70
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
I had that thing! Missiles shot out of it and everything. Used to play with it in the bathtub, I couldn't move at all but it was still awesome!
We also had that hovercraft, and yes it was badass, and yes I played with it in the bathtub.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #71
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best: getting a new BMX from my parents when I was about 10. They had it hidden in the back entry of our house and had planned this big scavenger hunt I would have to complete in order to find it, and instead my brother and I were racing the hot wheels cars we got in our Christmas stockings and mine went under the door and into the back entry. My dad was kind of choked the surprise was blown but I was over the moon. That same Christmas my mom & dad (who knew I liked trains) actually called out to CP Rail and arranged for me and a friend to ride on the locomotive over the big bridge in Lethbridge, then gave me the trip as a Christmas present. That was an awesome Christmas.

Worst: while some Christmases have been better than others, I can honestly say that I'm never gotten any really horrible presents. I lived in France for 2 years and spending Christmas without my family sucked but I had some great friends who did their best to make up for it and it was pretty memorable.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #72
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #73
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best: getting a RC gas powered car that went some rediculous speed when I was 12

The worst: My mom telling my dad it wasn't a good gift for a 12 year old and making him return it that same christmas
Old 12-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #74
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Best:
Spoiler!

Worst:
I'd say socks, but I go through socks pretty quickly so they come in handy.

Last edited by ken0042; 12-20-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #75
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^ Worst picture in the Worst Xmas gift thread.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #76
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to enter in a proxy vote for worst present ever on behalf of my dad.

We used to do a lot of snowmobiling and a friend of the family showed us a "trick" for cooking a nice hot lunch while out in the backcountry. You wire an empty electrical junction box to the manifold of your sled, line it with foil, put in a few smokies, screw the lid on, and head out on your favourite trail. The heat from the engine cooks the smokies and a few hours later, presto you have a delicious meal.

My grandmother heard us talking about this and decided to give my dad a case of his favourite smokies (the cheddar filled ones) for Christmas. Not a bad idea in and of itself, but being rather elderly she was caught up in the Christmas spirit and didn't give much thought to the smokies being a very perishable food product. So she wrapped them. And put them under the Christmas tree. For about 3 weeks.

When my dad opened those smokies on Christmas morning they were about as rotten as I have ever seen meat get. Luckily they were sealed in plastic so there was no smell, but they were so bloated the packages looked like balloons. It's a miracle they didn't burst because they looked like they would detonate if you even looked at them. It was gross, but really funny for the rest of us...
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #77
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best gift I ever received was a cook book my wife gave me last year. It was a mix of my mom’s recipes she made me when I was a kid, and recipes my friends and family contributed. Everything from empanadas to rouladen.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #78
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best: A Coleco with Burger Time.
Worst: Alarm clock.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 PM   #79
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife got me an amazingly soft and warm housecoat from Simon's like four years ago and it's the best. So comfortable. I resisted housecoats for so long and when I finally got this I was blown away. Highly recommended.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:38 AM   #80
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best- for my 4th or 5th Christmas a model airplane which in the end molded my life and my love of aviation

Worst- every single underwear gift I've ever got, which again molded my life to never ever give underwear to anyone for Christmas
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote