Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #401
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1334840245150478336
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 06:48 AM   #402
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Friedman an hour ago:

This tweet raised eyebrows yesterday...Reason: hearing that NHL/NHLPA engaged in recent days about a Jan 15 start, with training camps opening approximately two weeks earlier. Number of games would be in the 50s. We will see where this goes over the next few days.

Based on this tweet from Chip Alexander:

Canes GM Don Waddell tells Centennial Authority he thinks games will be played in PNC Arena "sometime in January." Says there could be a resolution of NHL/NHLPA discussions in the next few days concerning number of games this season and salary implications
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #403
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Okay. Firstly, the players also need to read the whole agreement . At least the important parts.

Here is a good article that pulls them out, and I have quoted them for you

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/does-...to-its-demands

So 17(a) and 17(b) are still in play for 2020-21.

Some experts in labor law and sports law seem to agree that it has to do with economic reality more so than labour law

Is the pandemic beyond the league’s control? Yes
Might the league determine it is not advisable to operate? Sure, that is a distinct possibility

Here is the final quote in the article
Thanks for the article, it was a good read. I agree with the final paragraph that states they are in this together and should find a compromise but I still think the players are in a much stronger legal situation. The article basically states that in Canada the league does not have a labour law leg to stand on . They cannot really call it a lockout because that is clearly illegal, similar to a wildcat strike. Not sure about American labour law but that is definitely true in Canada. It is one reason why wildcat strikes last about as long as it takes an employer to get into a court room.

So then the league would argue that they have a contractual remedy under the SPC. They may win under that argument and then a judge would have to decide if 17(a) (a suspension of league activities and an eventually re-start of league activities) applies or 17(b) (a cessation and no re-start ever of league activities applies). If it is 17(a) the league would have to pay all paragraph 1 salary obligations up to the time of the suspension. My understanding of paragraph 1 is that players are paid bi-weekly between Oct 15th and April 15th of each year. If the league suspended activities by Dec 15th, under 17(a) they would still be obligated to pay 33 percent of all salaries.

The league would have to have a judge state that the CBA does not apply, that roughly 750 individual SPC's do apply and that the league is voiding 750 individual contracts and not locking out the collective, and that 17(b) of the SPC applies and 17(a) does not apply to avoid financial liability.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 12-04-2020 at 07:32 AM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #404
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
No, the new agreement completely changes the way the cap will be calculated after things return to normal.

Even if they could, using the escalator only increases the cap, it doesn't change the amount of actual money available to the players, so it would effectively increase escrow, not decrease it.
While that is true, my thinking was if they could use the escalator in an environment where the escrow is capped (thinking years 4, 5, 6) that could be a problem. I hadn't had the time to go through and figure it all out so thank you for clarifying!
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:40 AM   #405
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone seen what the league is projecting their operational costs to be in a season without fans reported anywhere?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 09:46 AM   #406
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
From Friedman an hour ago:

This tweet raised eyebrows yesterday...Reason: hearing that NHL/NHLPA engaged in recent days about a Jan 15 start, with training camps opening approximately two weeks earlier. Number of games would be in the 50s. We will see where this goes over the next few days.

Based on this tweet from Chip Alexander:

Canes GM Don Waddell tells Centennial Authority he thinks games will be played in PNC Arena "sometime in January." Says there could be a resolution of NHL/NHLPA discussions in the next few days concerning number of games this season and salary implications
So with a compressed schedule, probably could have the season done late April. Playoffs potentially done in late June.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:02 AM   #407
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
So with a compressed schedule, probably could have the season done late April. Playoffs potentially done in late June.
Sounds like it will be season done in May, Stanley Cup handed out in July - likely late July as the schedule will undoubtedly have some contingency built into it due to cancellations/delays.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #408
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to get it done before the olympics start.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #409
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Trying to get it done before the olympics start.
Plus, I feel like they'll need cushion to get the draft done before the Olympics start on July 23 as well.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:15 PM   #410
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think they want to be done by about mid-July because the Olympics are scheduled to start in Tokyo on July 23 and the NHL's 2 primary broadcast partners are also the Olympic rights holders in their countries.

July 17 is probably the absolute drop-dead date for Game 7 on the Final.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #411
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Plus, I feel like they'll need cushion to get the draft done before the Olympics start on July 23 as well.
There is no reason the draft and free agency couldn't occur during the Olympics...it is not like they are huge TV draws
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #412
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
There is no reason the draft and free agency couldn't occur during the Olympics...it is not like they are huge TV draws
Also, with the time difference between Japan and North America, starting the draft around 7:00pm ET would be mid-morning in Japan and none of the high-profile events would be going on at that time anyway.

I don't think any of the broadcasters who cover the draft usually pull double-duty at the Olympics either, so they'd be available.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #413
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, with the time difference between Japan and North America, starting the draft around 7:00pm ET would be mid-morning in Japan and none of the high-profile events would be going on at that time anyway.

I don't think any of the broadcasters who cover the draft usually pull double-duty at the Olympics either, so they'd be available.
I think the biggest issue is on the NBC side where they use every one of their channels for the Olympics while it's going on. And NBC doesn't really show a lot of live events when it's an overseas Olympics, they're more likely to re-air the events in prime time which is when an NHL Draft would occur.

I'm sure if it came down to it, the NHL would hold their draft during the Olympics (though they could also wait a month until the draft if they really wanted, like the NBA did) but I think their plan is to avoid it if they can which is why a drop-dead Cup handed out date of July 15 has been tossed around.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #414
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Saw these 2 updates from the newest Flames media member:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1335606772594212864
https://twitter.com/user/status/1335623422026530816
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #415
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 7? I saw an interview with BT who said 18-19 players were skating at the Dome
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #416
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Only 7? I saw an interview with BT who said 18-19 players were skating at the Dome
Might be 7 NHLers + several prospects.

From the Season Ticket Holder conferences:
Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
- About 12-15 players in Calgary right now skating together, plus a few prospects. (Unclear if it's 12-15 including or excluding the prospects)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #417
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's get this season going. Short days without hockey are the worst!
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #418
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Has anyone seen what the league is projecting their operational costs to be in a season without fans reported anywhere?
about tree fiddy
Old 12-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #419
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
about tree fiddy
South Park quotes aside, has anyone actually seen it reported anywhere? I’ve seen numerous people comment on how the league can’t afford to take the hit they would take without the changes their seeking so I’m assuming those folks have read that information.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #420
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
South Park quotes aside, has anyone actually seen it reported anywhere? I’ve seen numerous people comment on how the league can’t afford to take the hit they would take without the changes their seeking so I’m assuming those folks have read that information.
Haven't seen that specifically no.

But you don't need that to take income from games (tickets, concession, etc) and make them zero. Then look at income from tv and naming rights etc and pro rate them down by the expected games played.

Then compare that to player salaries at 72%.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote