Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-15-2020, 10:27 AM   #41
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I find it interesting no one wears #2 for the Flames, yet many players have worn #25, despite both being Tier 2 Honors.

Seems players agree with me that #2 should be retired in the traditional sense.
Its embarrassing 14 25 and 2 arent retired

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 AM   #42
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone except Al MacInnis agrees that #2 should be retired in Calgary.

Based on some of the comments that were made at the time, I believe the only way they could get MacInnis to agree to participate was if they didn't make it a retirement ceremony, just an "honoured number".
Old 10-15-2020, 10:52 AM   #43
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I think everyone except Al MacInnis agrees that #2 should be retired in Calgary.

Based on some of the comments that were made at the time, I believe the only way they could get MacInnis to agree to participate was if they didn't make it a retirement ceremony, just an "honoured number".
He has already had a ceremony just make 2 and 25 retired like what Leafs did when they destroyed the forever Leaf program. He doesnt have to show up just put up the numbers in honor of their contributions. Its a 10 minute honor up they go and its done. I dont think Gilmour was there when his number went from honored to retired.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #44
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames have debated keeping FaF. Wouldn't be surprised to see those two numbers retired at some point, maybe with the move to the new building. That last part is me speculating.

As for right now, although it hasn't been worn for years, I can also report #2 is not off-limits. If a player came in and wanted to wear it — he could. Given Mackey's history with the number I wouldn't be shocked to see him take it.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 10-15-2020 at 11:05 AM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:38 PM   #45
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The Flames have debated keeping FaF. Wouldn't be surprised to see those two numbers retired at some point, maybe with the move to the new building. That last part is me speculating.

As for right now, although it hasn't been worn for years, I can also report #2 is not off-limits. If a player came in and wanted to wear it — he could. Given Mackey's history with the number I wouldn't be shocked to see him take it.

That's literally how FaF works. There's nothing to report here. Players are encouraged to keep wearing the numbers.

Players who play for the Flames have collectively decided to never wear #2 in honor of MacInnes, whereas they are OK with #25 despite both numbers being given FaF status.

They've also decided to not wear #14.

IMO, the only numbers that should be retired are #2 and #12. An argument can be made for #9.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 04:43 PM   #46
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That's literally how FaF works. There's nothing to report here. Players are encouraged to keep wearing the numbers.

Players who play for the Flames have collectively decided to never wear #2 in honor of MacInnes, whereas they are OK with #25 despite both numbers being given FaF status.

IMO, the only numbers that should be retired are #2 and #12. An argument can be made for #9.
I'd retire #34 as well, perhaps I'm in the minority on that one.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #47
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

An argument could be made for 9? Wow how history rewrites itself over time

Old 10-15-2020, 04:55 PM   #48
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
An argument could be made for 9? Wow how history rewrites itself over time

Go on? 500 goals and 1000 points is certainly Hall of Fame worthy.

But in my opinion, a jersey retirement is reserved for generational or near-generational players.

You needn’t worry though, #9 is officially retired.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's certainly questionable whether #2 has been "unofficially retired" by the org. It's definitely a little weird that, while it and 25 have received similar honours, they remain in vastly different places in terms of circulation. What I heard officially from the org is that they're both available to anyone, but I wonder how that would work in practice if anyone were to ask for #2. Clearly #25 is fair game.

Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Commodore wore #2. So have like 6 other players after MacInnis.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #51
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Commodore wore #2. So have like 6 other players after MacInnis.
Yeah but nobody has worn it since MacInnis retired. It's a little weird.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #52
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think 2 and 14 have not been officially or unofficially off-limits yet, but no player has the balls to ask for them out of respect.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #53
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1 player per decade

80's #9
90's #14
00's #12
10's #5

Maybe make an exception for #30 as a hometown boy
Plett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #54
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

From what I've heard, the issue with retiring Miikka's number is he's not too keen on the big ceremony aspect of things.

The Flames want to retire 34.

Old 10-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #55
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I like the "Forever A Flame" concept, I just think the Flames should've done the same thing as the Stamps ("Wall of Fame").

I think jersey retirements should be a very rare thing. I understand completely why #2 and #25 aren't retired, despite also recognizing the contributions of both MacInnis and Nieuwendyk. I also understand why #30 IS retired (hometown boy being a large part of it) and I think #9 and #12 are no-brainers.

The main number that is missing for me is #14, however, I am also aware of potential reasons why this has yet to occur. (Still--it says something that nobody has even dreamed of touching that number since.) #34 is also in this category for me, but if Kipper doesn't want it, then maybe it'll be a "nobody-since" situation, like Theo...

I know the "Forever a Flame" concept seems lame, but when you retire so many jerseys, you end up with the high football numbers like in Montreal. And Calgary has had neither the storied history of the Habs, nor the amount of legendary talent come through the team to justify so many retired jerseys, IMO.

If anything, I'd like to see the "FAF" expanded to celebrate more historically meaningful and/or impactful Flames, so as to celebrate the franchise in a similar way to the Stamps, as mentioned. Perhaps that's a more interesting discussion anyway: if the Flames were to expand the "FAF", (or to create a "Ring of Honour"/"Wall of Fame") who else would you like to see added?

Hakan Loob and Joel Otto would be on my list for sure, to start with anyway...
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewtastic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #56
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
I feel the same. Was planning on Välimäki #8 for my next jersey purchase. Oh for the halcyon days of my childhood when Val Bure and former NHL all-star Petr Buzek wore the number.
Val Bure! Man I loved watching him run the PP - he was so good at zone entries, the hands.. (reminds of someone). CGY really missed those skills for a long time after he left.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
I know I'm likely in the minority on this one, but I like the "Forever A Flame" concept, I just think the Flames should've done the same thing as the Stamps ("Wall of Fame").

I think jersey retirements should be a very rare thing. I understand completely why #2 and #25 aren't retired, despite also recognizing the contributions of both MacInnis and Nieuwendyk. I also understand why #30 IS retired (hometown boy being a large part of it) and I think #9 and #12 are no-brainers.

The main number that is missing for me is #14, however, I am also aware of potential reasons why this has yet to occur. (Still--it says something that nobody has even dreamed of touching that number since.) #34 is also in this category for me, but if Kipper doesn't want it, then maybe it'll be a "nobody-since" situation, like Theo...

I know the "Forever a Flame" concept seems lame, but when you retire so many jerseys, you end up with the high football numbers like in Montreal. And Calgary has had neither the storied history of the Habs, nor the amount of legendary talent come through the team to justify so many retired jerseys, IMO.

If anything, I'd like to see the "FAF" expanded to celebrate more historically meaningful and/or impactful Flames, so as to celebrate the franchise in a similar way to the Stamps, as mentioned. Perhaps that's a more interesting discussion anyway: if the Flames were to expand the "FAF", (or to create a "Ring of Honour"/"Wall of Fame") who else would you like to see added?

Hakan Loob and Joel Otto would be on my list for sure, to start with anyway...

Despite my bitching and moaning, I like the FaF program too. It's a great way to honor guys without a cringey retirement ceremony for a guy who clearly should not have his jersey retired.

The problem with the program is they ####ed it up right from the start by not retiring #2 and adding him to FaF. Chopper is a top-5 dman of all time. IN THE NHL, and still leads the franchise in assists as a DMAN.

IMO, retirements should be:
#2 - for reasons stated above
#12 - best player to ever play for the club, and a dominant force in the NHL for many years. Reshaped the power forward conversation. 625 career goals.
#9 - a bit short on merits, but you can't argue what Lanny symbolizes and means to the city.

Then you have a slew of players you could do FaF for. Neiwendyk of course, Mikka, Vernon. I think Gio definitely goes into FaF, and a guy like Backlund for his longevity with the club. Regehr would be a perfect addition for his contributions and longevity. If Johnny and Mony sign another contract, they are basically shoe-ins. Lots of good candidates from the 80s and 90s. I'll let CP argue the merits of Theo

These are all guys that should be honored by the club, but Jersey retirement is just a bit too much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No 47? Come guys, give me a 47. Someone. Anyone.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #59
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No 47? Come guys, give me a 47. Someone. Anyone.
#Baertschi4lyfe
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 10:48 AM   #60
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Darren McCarty also wore 25, so Markstrom isn't crossing some unwritten line.
So did David Moss 🤢
rhino is online now   Reply With Quote