Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #1141
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Someone must have warned him about the risk in waiving all diligence on the transaction.
See...this is something that I cant wrap my head around.

You see...its not called 'diligence' just because its fun to say.

A consumer of any major asset should never, ever, EVER, waive or ignore due diligence.

I know Real Estate and Cars were insane for the past few years and you hear stories of people waiving it because they just want to buy this thing, but I'd never do it.

If one of my clients wanted to buy a business and waived their due diligence I'd think they're crazy or high.

I remember when we were buying a condo we investigated the condo board, the management company and did the diligence on the Reserve Fund and everything and the Realtor is telling us:

"This takes a while, someone else might come in and buy it while you're doing this."

Well then power to them, I'm not plunking down this kind of cash without knowing exactly what I'm getting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #1142
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Someone must have warned him about the risk in waiving all diligence on the transaction.

I'm sure whoever did stopped getting invited along to the bro sessions for being a buzzkill.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:41 PM   #1143
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Am I the only one that has zero issue with the paid checkmark?

At what point do we have to put a little onus on the consumer? Just because they have a checkmark should not mean they only provide facts.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:49 PM   #1144
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post

At what point do we have to put a little onus on the consumer? Just because they have a checkmark should not mean they only provide facts.
Its about pleasing your advertisers/important users that people use twitter to follow.

It doesn't impact me one way or the other. But if I ran a company, I wouldn't want someone to create a fake profile that looks identical to mine that is tweeting out offensive comments or lying about my company and if they do - I wouldn't want that fake profile to be able to pay $8 and make it indistinguishable from mine.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #1145
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The blue check was that little onus. Who do you rely on to determine whether the user is that user?

And if it doesn’t mean anything, why sell it?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #1146
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Its about pleasing your advertisers/important users that people use twitter to follow.

It doesn't impact me one way or the other. But if I ran a company, I wouldn't want someone to create a fake profile that looks identical to mine that is tweeting out offensive comments or lying about my company and if they do - I wouldn't want that fake profile to be able to pay $8 and make it indistinguishable from mine.
but you can get that account banned... this isnt a new thing.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 12:52 PM   #1147
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There is value as a consumer to have a mark that means a certain level of authentication has occurred into who this person is. It’s not that what they say is true it’s that who they say they are is who they say they are and you can then perform diligence as required to assure the information is reasonably true.

There is value as a business / individual to be able to send out content to users that has been authenticated to be from you.

So I don’t have an issue with charging for a checkmark. It’s clearly a service that provides value to a user. The issue is that if anyone can get a checkmark then it devalues what a checkmark is especially when the check marks permit impersonation of other checkmarks.

Mostly it’s stupid for Musk to devalue the checkmark. Instead of opening it up he should have charged individuals and businesses who meat certain criteria to have one
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #1148
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
but you can get that account banned... this isnt a new thing.
Sure - but that's a slow response. If I kept joining this website with fake Surefire accounts and posting fake trades - they could keep banning me but it would still annoy and trick people for the 10 minutes its up.

If they give Surefire some kind of verification on his user profile that I can't get - less people will get confused.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:14 PM   #1149
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Lucky for you, you were able to see how the pay-to-play checkmark experiment worked out. Hilariously, but also annoying if you wanted to see sports news and had to sift through the 1,000 verified LeBron accounts.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:16 PM   #1150
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't, but then I don't use Twitter. But the fix seems pretty obvious/evident.

Let the people who already have a blue check keep it, and charge them a monthly fee.

Since he wants to do the $8/month, fine. Call it "Twitter Green" or whatever, and make it a different color checkmark. Problem solved. Everyone gets their checks, and he gets his $$/month fee.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #1151
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I don't, but then I don't use Twitter. But the fix seems pretty obvious/evident.

Let the people who already have a blue check keep it, and charge them a monthly fee.

Since he wants to do the $8/month, fine. Call it "Twitter Green" or whatever, and make it a different color checkmark. Problem solved. Everyone gets their checks, and he gets his $$/month fee.
He's back himself into a corner on this because he made it out to be some kind of social concern issue that the bluechecks were seen as more important than everyone else. So now if you try to differentiate between the checks - the people who cared about that first message will be annoyed.
Old 11-14-2022, 01:23 PM   #1152
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It makes no sense why the average joe would even want a checkmark. Like you’re almost famous enough but they won’t verify you?

I think there could be value if you supply proof of id and maybe receive a white check mark or something to prove you’re a human and then allow you to mute all non-checkmarked users.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:29 PM   #1153
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post

They people who are purchasing the blue check want it because it makes them look important and "certified". If they made them different colours it would devalue it for people who want that fake certification. That's why you have to click into someone's account to see if they're actually an official check or a paid check.

Personally I wouldn't pay for one but I see why some of the hardcore users would want it. That said, Musk has also pointed out that people with checks will be given preferential treat in the algorithm so their tweets well show higher than other users. That will be annoying for the average user.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:39 PM   #1154
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side, these new browser addons that replace Paid Checks with a Nerd Emote are amazing and let you know immediately who's opinions you can ignore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:40 PM   #1155
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
On the plus side, these new browser addons that replace Paid Checks with a Nerd Emote are amazing and let you know immediately who's opinions you can ignore.
I'm waiting for the reverse where we just post blue checks to respond to nerd ####.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:42 PM   #1156
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Am I dumb, or would it not be palatable to just charge a 2$ user fee per month across the board and leave the blue check as an actual verification?

You might lose a few people, but lets be honest, who out here isn't paying 2$ to be on a platform most people spend hours a day on.

This would also help with troll farms, it becomes far more difficult and less likely a troll farm is going to be able to keep making bots when it actually costs money to do it.

Kill two birds with one stone?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #1157
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Or just charge a fee to remove ads.. Or still charge for verification and blue checkmark as just that and have a different fee for add remove/premium features.

There were tons of more logical ways to do it than what was done.

The biggest thing I didn't like about his vision of the blue check was that he said the algorithms would prefer paying people, so you'd have to scroll way down to see non-payers' opinions.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 02:48 PM   #1158
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Am I dumb, or would it not be palatable to just charge a 2$ user fee per month across the board and leave the blue check as an actual verification?

You might lose a few people, but lets be honest, who out here isn't paying 2$ to be on a platform most people spend hours a day on.

This would also help with troll farms, it becomes far more difficult and less likely a troll farm is going to be able to keep making bots when it actually costs money to do it.

Kill two birds with one stone?
Honestly? Most people. If they're going to charge $2 they might as well charge $5. I bet the numbers who'd stay at both price points would basically be the same.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #1159
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Honestly? Most people. If they're going to charge $2 they might as well charge $5. I bet the numbers who'd stay at both price points would basically be the same.
Sure.

My guess is they would loose maaaaaybe 20% of their current freeloading userbase, including trolls and users who barely come back.

The majority of people on there use twitter for like 2-3 hours a day. They might balk initially, but they would be back.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 02:52 PM   #1160
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Honestly, I think that a $5/month fee for everyone to use Twitter is the way to go here. The sheer number of people willing to blow $8 to tweet a handful of times and then get their account banned was kinda surprising. Clearly, there's easy money to be had.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote