Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 02:45 PM   #2021
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Maybe... but circulating a guy's name around the internet without any evidence is not cool either.
Oh yeah for sure. More about my own internal commentary of how I no longer even remotely trust the police departments.

I'll wait for confirmation one way or another, but a week ago if a police department said "The person being named has been investigated and isn't the suspect" I would have been like "Oh, that sucks what they did to that innocent man" without questioning it.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #2022
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe... but circulating a guy's name around the internet without any evidence is not cool either.
Looks a lot like him and apparently he lives in that neighbourhood.

https://twitter.com/ClayMcKelvy/stat...03037595541509

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-05-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:51 PM   #2023
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Last night I posted on Facebook that anyone who considers him or herself to be a "good cop" on the Buffalo PD should make a statement by resigning. How could they live with themselves knowing they're part of an organization like that? It never occurred to me that the officers would resign not as a form of protest but as a show of support of their jackbooted fascist colleagues. WTF
Blue Wall of Silence.

That's ####ing sickening.
Old 06-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #2024
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There is a difference between having the tools to defend yourself, and whatever policing has become in the States. We are seeing it now in Canada, as well. The militarization of police is absolutely terrifying.

There is no reason why any police, other than SWAT/fast response, should have a military grade vehicle, or look like anything intimidating. There is no reason why everything should be black in color. There is no reason why a cop should be wearing flashbangs, tear gas, various other implements of war hanging off of his/her bulletproof vest. They should not have military grade armaments.

They should have exactly the tools to get the job done. They should be wearing baby blues, with a simple vest. If a situation is beyond what the are armed to handle, which happens very very rarely, then you deescalate and call in the appropriate backup.

No kid in the world would be comfortable walking up to a police officer in the States and asking for directions, when the cops look like that. The cops and RCMP in the Calgary area look as intimidating as hell.
CPS members don't carry tear gas or anything else you suggested.

In fact, most of what the CPS has invested in over the past 5 years has been less lethal, de-escalation training and field trauma medical kits.

I recall the colour scheme thread and really, arguing over the approachability over a colour scheme seems petty and judgemental.

I grew up in Calgary and recall the baby blue uniforms. Not once have I ever thought that it changed the person wearing it.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #2025
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I linked to one of his tweets earlier, but T. Greg Doucette now has over 300 videos of police brutalizing civilians from the last 6 days in one thread. It's heartwrenching and awful, but it's important that it exists and that someone is willing to stare into the abyss.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1266751520055459847

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:04 PM   #2026
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
If this is about Michael Brown, that's pretty much the argument. He was 6'4'' goliath of a man attacking a police officer and reaching for his gun....At least if you believe the police officer at this point (but forensic evidence didn't prove otherwise).

I mean the first time this happened they should have just got body cams so we no longer have to rely on cops words, but we now have 1000 of incidents like this (maybe not always fatal) and police still fighting not to have body cams in a lot of places...
except I don't believe the cop at all, never did, the kid was walking home from the store not interrupted robbing a bank, there are times I buy the police's story, when they are chasing a bank robber etc, the car jacking video we saw before on this thread but I don't see reason a kid walking home from the 7/11, no outstanding arrest warrants or half a pound of blow in his pocket turns into a maniac without being pushed into it by the cop that instigated the contact in the first place, I just never saw how a situation escalates that fast and badly from nothing at all to dead kid.

No one fights with a cop without a reason, the reason maybe mental health, intoxication or outstanding warrants, possession of drugs or fleeing from a crime scene but no one just goes from walking home from the store with his friend to struggling with a cop for their gun for no reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #2027
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Wookie View Post
CPS members don't carry tear gas or anything else you suggested.

In fact, most of what the CPS has invested in over the past 5 years has been less lethal, de-escalation training and field trauma medical kits.

I recall the colour scheme thread and really, arguing over the approachability over a colour scheme seems petty and judgemental.

I grew up in Calgary and recall the baby blue uniforms. Not once have I ever thought that it changed the person wearing it.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
I was speaking to the American police departments. The last statement should have stood alone, and I'm sorry if that was not clear.

Local police are definitely more intimidating now than they were 20 years ago. I can't help to think that that is purposeful. If they are investing in deescalation training that is great. I don't really care if you find it petty, and my judgement is that the police arn't as approachable as they used to be.

I don't think that any Millennial would have experienced the baby blues, but I did, and to me that meant police. The word 'POLICE' has to be written on uniforms now, because everyone looks like Snake Eyes from GI Joe.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #2028
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a 6'4" 200+ pound white man. If I find the police to look intimidating and unapproachable, I can only imagine how someone who is much smaller than me, or a woman, or a person of colour must feel about them.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #2029
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW, I think police departments in the UK absolutely hit it out of the park on how they look. High visibility vests, instantly recognizable non-militarized uniforms, friendly and helpful appearance. These people look like someone I'd feel comfortable approaching if I needed assistance:

These people do not:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #2030
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
BTW, I think police departments in the UK absolutely hit it out of the park on how they look. High visibility vests, instantly recognizable non-militarized uniforms, friendly and helpful appearance. These people look like someone I'd feel comfortable approaching if I needed assistance:

These people do not:

While I don't completely disagree, the Finnish police look way more like that latter picture than the former, and while I do think they should go for a less militarized look, just having the right kind of demeanor makes the biggest difference. If the cops look calm and talk in a peaceful way, it doesn't matter that much what they're wearing.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:38 PM   #2031
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

These people do not:

In fairness you can find other photos of the police in the UK tooled up.

These dudes don't look scary

Actions not looks are what is scary about some police officers.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #2032
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
In fairness you can find other photos of the police in the UK tooled up.

These dudes don't look scary

Actions not looks are what is scary about some police officers.
The bottom two look like they are on the way to a bachelorette party.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:40 PM   #2033
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should compare beat cops to beat cops, not beat cops to TAC. If TAC is in the neighborhood doing something, you very much should not be approaching them.

This is the usual CPS daily wear uniform (with long sleeves for colder weather).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #2034
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bottom two look like they are on the way to a bachelorette party.
I played rugby with the fella on the right, he may have had a part time gig at some point.........

Quote:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #2035
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I played rugby with the fella on the right, he may have had a part time gig at some point.........

Guys, please respect his privacy. Posting a link to his business card/instant gram account is the least you can do to compensate the guy.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #2036
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
You should compare beat cops to beat cops, not beat cops to TAC. If TAC is in the neighborhood doing something, you very much should not be approaching them.

This is the usual CPS daily wear uniform (with long sleeves for colder weather).

Do they all buy their glasses from the same store as Agent Smith?
Old 06-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #2037
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Guys, please respect his privacy. Posting a link to his business card/instant gram account is the least you can do to compensate the guy.
Sorry man

I didn't know you were having trouble finding male strippers.

I'll PM you.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #2038
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Point taken, but in my defense I did a Google Image Search for "police uniform canada" and specifically looked for an image that I thought wasn't a tactical unit (no rifles, no heavy body armour, no riot helmets/shields, etc.), just day-to-day regular wear.

Even still, I stand by my original point. IMO the group of UK beat cops I posted looks FAR less intimidating than the picture of CPS beat cops you posted with their black uniforms and dark sunglasses.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #2039
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even still, I stand by my original point. IMO the group of UK beat cops I posted looks FAR less intimidating than the picture of CPS beat cops you posted with their black uniforms and dark sunglasses.
You don't need sunglasses if it is always cloudy in your country..........

Quote:
Old 06-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #2040
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
except I don't believe the cop at all, never did, the kid was walking home from the store not interrupted robbing a bank, there are times I buy the police's story, when they are chasing a bank robber etc, the car jacking video we saw before on this thread but I don't see reason a kid walking home from the 7/11, no outstanding arrest warrants or half a pound of blow in his pocket turns into a maniac without being pushed into it by the cop that instigated the contact in the first place, I just never saw how a situation escalates that fast and badly from nothing at all to dead kid.

No one fights with a cop without a reason, the reason maybe mental health, intoxication or outstanding warrants, possession of drugs or fleeing from a crime scene but no one just goes from walking home from the store with his friend to struggling with a cop for their gun for no reason.
You're acting like he was just out buying a Slurpee. He robbed, attacked and threatened a man half his size and nonchalantly walked away with stolen items. That's the only facts we actually know due to the videos. He wasn't acting right and clearly falls into that "mental health, intoxication" area, not to mention fleeing from a crime scene...
Closed Thread