Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #4481
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Now where have I seen this before

https://twitter.com/user/status/1551857082244136960
The 1967 movie the Dirty Dozen?

It's all been done before and copied
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 08:20 PM   #4482
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Sounds like a rip off of Fern Gully. Or maybe Dances With Wolves.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2022, 09:04 PM   #4483
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

You'd rather suck wax fruit?
Old 07-26-2022, 09:51 PM   #4484
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well maybe Marvel will do a decent job of it for a change...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:09 AM   #4485
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol at anyone asserting Marvel is copying DC. DC has been eating Marvels dust since The Dark Knight.

Will be laughing at how much cooler Namor will be than Aquaman.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:27 AM   #4486
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Phase 4 has overall been #### with a couple exceptions.

Not sure they should be adding more (groups of) characters before making improvements to the ones they're already working with.

It's actually beginning to get out of hand since there's nothing cohesive happening overall.

The stories that aren't recieved as well are bound to get neglected for others since there are so many balls in the air. See: Capt. Marvel.

Also foresee Eternals being pushed off for an eternity regardless of the "slated" date.

Last edited by djsFlames; 07-27-2022 at 01:31 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:20 AM   #4487
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make one little joke about Marvel copying DC and everyone loses there mind. MCU is doing just fine, even when they put out a sub par movie like say Thor 4, critics still give it overwhelming positive reviews and it makes bank at the box office. Some of you wouldn't last one day as a DC fan.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:23 AM   #4488
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Make one little joke about Marvel copying DC and everyone loses there mind. MCU is doing just fine, even when they put out a sub par movie like say Thor 4, critics still give it overwhelming positive reviews and it makes bank at the box office. Some of you wouldn't last one day as a DC fan.
I’m not a “fan” of either. I like movies I think are good and don’t like movies I think are bad.

I just don’t think Feige gives two craps what DC is up to. If DC had worried about their own stuff vs trying to keep up with Marvel they’d have been much better off.

Stuff has been better recently, but it’s all stuff that’s not connected in the way Marvel is. Which is fine. Marvels getting up it’s own butt a bit now. Just don’t see any scenario where Feige spends any brain power worrying about copying DC.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:44 AM   #4489
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I’m not a “fan” of either. I like movies I think are good and don’t like movies I think are bad.

I just don’t think Feige gives two craps what DC is up to. If DC had worried about their own stuff vs trying to keep up with Marvel they’d have been much better off.

Stuff has been better recently, but it’s all stuff that’s not connected in the way Marvel is. Which is fine. Marvels getting up it’s own butt a bit now. Just don’t see any scenario where Feige spends any brain power worrying about copying DC.
I agree with all of this, Marvel is so far ahead in the connected universe game there about to have 6 Avengers films while WB still can't put out Justice League 2.

Feige doesn't care or need to copy DC it was totally just a joke I don't actually think that's what happened. Although I will say, without the success of Wonder Woman and showing that female lead superhero movies can be a success we probably don't get Captain Marvel solo film.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #4490
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Really, when I think back to the earlier phases of the MCU, I don't really think the quality of films has gotten any worse or anything, there were some pretty average film in phases 1 to 3.

I think the difference now is that its all kind of confusing. Leading up to Endgame, it was so simple and formulaic. You had your core characters, you tell their stories, throw some Avengers films in there, tease a big bad purple guy and you're off to the races.

Now, we've got the multiverse, TV shows, cartoons, new versions of old characters, no real big bad to tease just yet and still cleaning up loose ends from the first phases. It's all a bit muddled and confusing. The expectations for what the MCU was is so ingrained in the people that flocked to the theater. Now aside from Easter eggs here and there, it's kind of a mess of individual films.

I don't think the quality has gone down though. If anything, I bet people are a bit tired of the same formulaic approach.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:01 AM   #4491
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The MCUs problem right now seems to be that they are focusing too much on the connections. Too much stuff about the multiverse/cameos and not enough good story writing.

I watched both Dr. Strange and Spiderman recently and neither was especially compelling. Dr. Strange relied on the cameos. The illuminati was then quickly dispatched by Wanda, which made the whole appearance weird. They were supposed to be some of the smartest and most powerful heroes in the multiverse...maybe I just don't find Wanda as the big bad all that compelling.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #4492
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The MCUs problem right now seems to be that they are focusing too much on the connections. Too much stuff about the multiverse/cameos and not enough good story writing.

I watched both Dr. Strange and Spiderman recently and neither was especially compelling. Dr. Strange relied on the cameos. The illuminati was then quickly dispatched by Wanda, which made the whole appearance weird. They were supposed to be some of the smartest and most powerful heroes in the multiverse...maybe I just don't find Wanda as the big bad all that compelling.
And yet one of the number one complaints about the current phase is a lack of continuity and cohesive story. People are constantly complaining that the consequences of previous shows/movies aren’t more frequently referenced, like the celestial that’s sticking out of the earth.

I personally think that’s overblown. I don’t need a bunch of references and story ramifications from movie to movie. What they did with the first 3 phases was an achievement but doesn’t need to be replicated every time.

I totally agree that the real weakness this round has been story. Everything marvel has put out has been mediocre at best recently. They need to do better.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:27 AM   #4493
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And yet one of the number one complaints about the current phase is a lack of continuity and cohesive story. People are constantly complaining that the consequences of previous shows/movies aren’t more frequently referenced, like the celestial that’s sticking out of the earth.
I don't think that's the issue. I think the issue is that they are making too many cross-over type events/facts in the first place. Why do we need that giant hand sticking out of the Earth in the first place? They basically half tore apart the Earth and put a giant hand in the middle of it....that's going to have some major consequences, ecologically, and I'm not sure why they would do that.

They seem to be just weaving things together a bit too much. They've also painted themselves into corners, with things like the 5 year snap. They continually reference that, but have few actual consequences from it, except when it fits the plot.

It just seems like all the crossover stuff really puts a burden on the basic stories at this point. The lore is collapsing under its own weight.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:31 PM   #4494
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Any one of the events in most of these movies would bog down the planet's media cycle for years. We have to go into these movies knowing that the Earth's population is desensitized to world ending events at this point. If they had to rehash or reference every time the world was almost destroyed we wouldn't have enough time to tell new stories.

They've had to do that in the comics for years.

They've tried a few times to reference why other characters aren't around to help save the day but at a certain point we have to just suspend disbelief.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:11 PM   #4495
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

And beyond the consequences of one story bleeding into the next being very difficult, what the previous movies had was the perfect villain and Mcguffin. The infinity stones allowed the writers to link a bunch of seemingly unrelated villains, stories and heroes.

I can’t even imagine what that would be from the current series of movies. The multiverse? What else is tied between all the movies?
Old 07-27-2022, 04:53 PM   #4496
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
Really, when I think back to the earlier phases of the MCU, I don't really think the quality of films has gotten any worse or anything, there were some pretty average film in phases 1 to 3.

I think the difference now is that its all kind of confusing...Now, we've got the multiverse, TV shows, cartoons, new versions of old characters, no real big bad to tease just yet and still cleaning up loose ends from the first phases. It's all a bit muddled and confusing.
They're doing a heckuva job adapting the experience of comic book readers in this regard.

Quote:
I can’t even imagine what that would be from the current series of movies. The multiverse? What else is tied between all the movies?
Big picture wise, it's Kang. Losing control of the timeline led to a more splintered multiverse and Kang will be there to try and rule them all.

Your b thread is the legacy heroes, these younger heroes that they've been introducing who have lived through the MCU and been inspired by the exploits of the Avengers or whoever. Kate Bishop, Ms. Marvel, Yelena, Cassie Lang, Ironheart. There's lots to be mined from living up to a legacy, forging your own path, getting out from under the shadow of your predecessors, having your rose colored glasses knocked off when it comes to your idols, etc etc etc.

C thread might be if they try and do anything significant with Thunderbolts. I think that might be a one and done though. Excited to experience the mess unfolding in all of it's comic book-y glory, warts and all.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-27-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #4497
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ben is back baby! He is currently doing reshoots for Aquaman 2, maybe now that he's healthier he wants to continue being Batman for a while. JLo for Catwoman

https://twitter.com/user/status/1552798854931591168
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 08:18 AM   #4498
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have no understanding of how Secret Wars can be 1 movie and satisfying. I feel like it should basically be an entire phase, 6 movies and 6 shows and with the same overall arc. They should just leave white space in the 616 universe while the events of Secret Wars are happening.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:46 PM   #4499
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

When do we get a live-action 'Thundercats' movie by the director of 'Cats?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2022, 12:34 PM   #4500
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
When do we get a live-action 'Thundercats' movie by the director of 'Cats?'
a live action thundercats movie would be awesome!

i'd also love to see a live action robotech movie!