Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #61
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i get enjoying the bay area...just seems like, say Phx or florida or Anaheim could have been pretty nice too...his agent did him a disservice by not exploring other opportunities via back channel...

the guy played jr in Barrie for three years, so i am pretty sure horrified is a exaggeration wrt to playing in canada...outside of Edmonton at least
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #62
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did his agent even need to shop around? Jankowski got $1.7 million from the Flames for crying out loud.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #63
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The guy clearly wants to play for the sharks. They are going for it. Pretty simple. He’s still making $1 million to play hockey this year. There isn’t exactly a long list of players who had career ending injuries at 23/24. Pretty low risk.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:14 AM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
The guy clearly wants to play for the sharks. They are going for it. Pretty simple. He’s still making $1 million to play hockey this year. There isn’t exactly a long list of players who had career ending injuries at 23/24. Pretty low risk.
I’d say high risk of never seeing the money he gave up this year. $1 million sounds great, he should be able to afford a one bedroom townhome in SOV.

So is the only way he could play for the Sharks is to earn less than what he’s worth? I guess his teammates are all doing that too...

IDK my love for my employer would diminish if they asked me to work for less than what I was worth.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #65
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's always a degree of risk no matter what age but even at that the fact is that he's chosen to make less money than his peers. Considerably less. And while the concept of him wanting to be there is simple enough to understand, it's just something you don't see a lot in any workplace ever. I've turned down offers to make maybe 10-20% more salary at other companies because I like where I am but I'm certainly not going to stay for less than 1/3 of what I should be making which is the case here. It will be interesting to revisit this discussion next year for sure.

Maybe there's something in the water in San Jose as well. Of all the markets (players go to NY for the experience but many move on) I don't think there's one that once players play there they never want to leave like that market.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-09-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #66
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Sharks re-sign Kevin Labanc (1 year, $1 million)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’d say high risk of never seeing the money he gave up this year. $1 million sounds great, he should be able to afford a one bedroom townhome in SOV.

So is the only way he could play for the Sharks is to earn less than what he’s worth? I guess his teammates are all doing that too...

IDK my love for my employer would diminish if they asked me to work for less than what I was worth.
Well, not all of them. Erik Karlsson just signed an eight year deal that pays him an AAV of +$11 m.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 09:24 AM   #67
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Erik Karlsson is Labanc’s sugar daddy.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came for "La Banc" jokes. Left unsatisfied.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #69
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's always a degree of risk no matter what age but even at that the fact is that he's chosen to make less money than his peers. Considerably less. And while the concept of him wanting to be there is simple enough to understand, it's just something you don't see a lot in any workplace ever. I've turned down offers to make maybe 10-20% more salary at other companies because I like where I am but I'm certainly not going to stay for less than 1/3 of what I should be making which is the case here. It will be interesting to revisit this discussion next year for sure.

Maybe there's something in the water in San Jose as well. Of all the markets (players go to NY for the experience but many move on) I don't think there's one that once players play there they never want to leave like that market.
Punctuated by the fact he has an extremely short earning period as a pro athlete.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #70
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is extremely frustrating.

Between this deal and what they will end up signing Thornton and Marleau for, the Sharks will probably have 3 forwards scoring an average of roughly 45 points on what is basically ELC money when they should be eating up much more of the cap than that.

No wonder they can afford to keep two Norris caliber Dmen on their roster for about $20 million against the cap.

What a piss off.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #71
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
There's an exceptionally long list of players who had a big season in their early 20's, never to repeat, and fizzle out of the league. Most guys are pushed out of the league by competition, not a stretcher.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
There's an exceptionally long list of players who had a big season in their early 20's, never to repeat, and fizzle out of the league. Most guys are pushed out of the league by competition, not a stretcher.
Except Labanc has had more than one good season. 20 points in 55 games as a 20 year old rookie, 40 points the next year, 56 last year and he's now only 23.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #73
Salt Water Cowboy #10
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe Thornton covers his living expenses? So he gets to live in a house he could never afford. And play with a legend of the game. But this deal is a sweetheart for the Sharks. Not sure what the NHLPA have to say about it though
Salt Water Cowboy #10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This is extremely frustrating.

Between this deal and what they will end up signing Thornton and Marleau for, the Sharks will probably have 3 forwards scoring an average of roughly 45 points on what is basically ELC money when they should be eating up much more of the cap than that.

No wonder they can afford to keep two Norris caliber Dmen on their roster for about $20 million against the cap.

What a piss off.
Just more reason to dislike the franchise and mock them when they lose. They clearly have a decided advantage over some NHL clubs and despite that they have as many Stanley Cups to show for it as the Jets and Canucks.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #75
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The more I think about this, how much scrutiny does the league place on undervalued contracts in the cap era?

Did this guy's parents just get a $2M anonymous donation?
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #76
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Except Labanc has had more than one good season. 20 points in 55 games as a 20 year old rookie, 40 points the next year, 56 last year and he's now only 23.
Labanc has also been extremely fortunate with his linemates. He plays with Couture, Pavelski, Hertl and Burns/Karlsson on the powerplay? Not exactly surprising he had 20 PP points.

Stapled to Thornton for even strength time this year, although granted not quite prime-let's-get-Cheechoo-the-Rocket-Thornton but still not bad of a center. Last year it was a mixture of Couture and Hertl or Pavelski and Thornton.

He was probably the ninth best forward behind Burns, Karlsson, Couture, Hertl, Pavelski, Meieier, Kane and Thornton. Alright fine 7th if you don't count those listed on defense

Sometimes you just find your niche and things look good and then come crumbling down. Glencross went from wanted asset turning down extension to out of work. Moss was looking like a 20-20 bonafide player and then was out of work a couple years later. If Neal took a one-year one-million contract last off-season to chase the Cup and then played the way he did this year he would be out 28M.

I'm not comparing these players at all but there's just not a complete certainty, especially if you throw in injury.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #77
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Would you take the money over success though? And moving cities? It’s hard to gauge what drives individuals. Maybe the kid wants a shot at the cup and doesn’t care how much money a bottom feeder wants to offer him. Maybe he’s had discussions with coaches and knows his line mates and feels there is a good shot at personal success and team success, and values this more than his bank account. There is a spot in this lineup for him, where he has demonstrated success, and the team is built well to compete.

I’m mad about it to, not because I don’t understand it, but because I’m sick of the Sharks getting sweatheart deals for solid players. More jealously than anything.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #78
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sharks are worse than last year IMO...not too worried about it
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #79
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Sharks are worse than last year IMO...not too worried about it
Yes. My thoughts exactly.

I see this moreso as a recognition on SJ's part that the runway to get to a Stanley Cup championship has nearly run out. With so much salary tied up in just a handful of players for the next half-decade I think they need to win next year before things begin to look quite bleak. Holding off on paying Lebanc for a year provides an opportunity to ice a championship calibre roster, but probably for the last time in a while with so many of their best players already on their retirement contracts, and nearing the age of athletic diminishment. I think Lebanc senses the pinch and the urgency too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-09-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 04:21 PM   #80
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really really low salary for what he brings. Sharks finding ways to keep most of the team together. Would be interesting to see if Thornton and Marleau sign for close to league minimum too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote