Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #61
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

i hadn't watched House in a few years, but I liked the ending. Too many shows are killing off main characters in the series finale, and I always thought that's a big screw you to the viewers.

It did suffer from only being an hour long though; it should have been at least 90 minutes to fit all the former stars in.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:08 PM   #62
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ending was fine. Not great, but they didn't Seinfeld or Lost it.

Some definite character advancement with House so that you could conceive of him living a quiet, content life after the show, a reasonable gimmick that allowed all the old crew to show up, and a scene where they got to ride off into the sunset.

I was such a fan of the show that I don't think I was ever going to be really happy with a finale, so fine is. . . . fine.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #63
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was finale-esque. It seemed safe. It's not really the finale that you'll hear about in a history of great finales (M*A*S*H, St. Elsewhere, Newhart, etc). It's funny though, because I think those early hallucination/bus episodes with House and Amber would have made much a good finale.

At the end though, when House exclaimed, "I am dead", for an instant I thought that meant that Wilson was dead/near death and hallucinating about House.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #64
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sarcoidosis, Lupis, you guys kill me! lol

Just finished the series finale...

Spoiler!

Man I will miss this show and I am a picky bugger... I haven't been this emotional about a TV show ever.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 05-22-2012 at 02:09 AM. Reason: add spoiler
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #65
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I actually thought it was above average because they didn't try to overreach. They didn't try to make it too awesome or too all encompassing.

I think we all saw House faking suicide early on. (I did anyway, even from last episode, I thought it might be how he tries to get out of his situation). Still I like the way they did it and didn't feel cheated. The episode dealt with his daemons and we are left to believe he might be further at peace with himself.

I still can't decide if it would have been a better ending with him actually dying or not though. The funeral had some real emotion behind it, especially with Wilson doing his thing, and then it all went out the window.

But I expected that anyway, House always gets his way. It was a good finale.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:15 AM   #66
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

In fact, when you think about it, the journey from episode 1 to 177 was about how to fix House. He started a miserable SOB, was an SOB through all the episodes, had a bunch of people try to fix him and in the end he diagnosed himself...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:30 AM   #67
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watch House "Swan Song" for some insight in the show.

I had a 30 min nap at 2pm Monday and 4 hours of sleep the last 2 days before... And right now I'm watching a House love fest special. YOU BET I AM!

I am just showing Captain Crunch that I can stay up without sleep just like the highly trained military can.....
Old 05-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #68
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
In fact, when you think about it, the journey from episode 1 to 177 was about how to fix House. He started a miserable SOB, was an SOB through all the episodes, had a bunch of people try to fix him and in the end he diagnosed himself...
Plus the one guy he couldn't fix was his best friend. And he had to learn to cope.

Duh? Obviously cliche?

I think there is a bit of too much reading in, because the series has gone in a few different directions they didn't expect. A few characters left that had to be written out unexpectedly, and there were a few cheats a long the way.

To say there was a plan from the beginning or even along the way would probably be incorrect.

But there are few shows that can say that. Lost is a perfect example. Just winging it but pretending there is a plan.

The characters they did create though made it so they could tie things in, and it was a satisfactory conclusion.

In the end it was about great acting and some great back and forths between characters. It was one of the most formulaic shows on TV and I'm not sure there was ever any huge plan for an arching storyline. But the humanity of House and even the staff brought us back.

And they didn't disappoint. And because of that, I don't feel cheated by it being cliche, which it was.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #69
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought the finale was pretty decent. I didn't like it as much as TBQH, but rarely does a finale satisfy. I think I was looking for a bit more...it seemed rather "fluffy" and self-indulgent, but then again, this is House so...
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #70
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Plus the one guy he couldn't fix was his best friend. And he had to learn to cope.

Duh? Obviously cliche?

I think there is a bit of too much reading in, because the series has gone in a few different directions they didn't expect. A few characters left that had to be written out unexpectedly, and there were a few cheats a long the way.

To say there was a plan from the beginning or even along the way would probably be incorrect.

But there are few shows that can say that. Lost is a perfect example. Just winging it but pretending there is a plan.

The characters they did create though made it so they could tie things in, and it was a satisfactory conclusion.

In the end it was about great acting and some great back and forths between characters. It was one of the most formulaic shows on TV and I'm not sure there was ever any huge plan for an arching storyline. But the humanity of House and even the staff brought us back.

And they didn't disappoint. And because of that, I don't feel cheated by it being cliche, which it was.
The "plan" of House being a broken man was always there and it isn't far fetched to believe that the plan was for him to some what fix himself in the end. That's the character development; how the show may have been designed and sold to a network. For example, I had a writing group and we wrote a TV series based on Superheros who were just normal people. We had a rough plan on how each character was going to be and how the main character would roughly go through his trials. However, the meat of the story wasn't planned. It could have been a year series or a 3 year series or longer.

Lost was only supposed to be a mini series, and the creators and network didn't expect it to be such a huge hit. That's why they flew by the seat of their pants. They already finished the original story line.

Cliche's are fine when they make sense, and aren't just written in to get the job done. The House finale was executed with class and didn't excessively manipulate the viewer to get to the end.

For example, the 2004 movie Crash. It was manipulative POS movie because it overreached, made unrealistic connections and it contained so many cliches that you knew exactly what was going to happen. So you were stuck there just waiting for it to unfold and finish.

While we all sensed
Spoiler!
It didn't overreach or make unrealistic connections and you didn't want it to end.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 05-22-2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: remove unnecessary wording.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #71
Lt.Spears
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Liked the Finale, thought it was well done.
Lt.Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #72
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got around to watching it and I really liked it.

As a fan from the beginning, I simply could not accept a "sad" ending where House fails to figure it out. What would have been the point of the series? I thought they were going to Charlie Sheen us for a second there.

Cheesy? I don't think so. I wanted it to be a happy ending, and it was as happy as I could ask for. I needed it to be happy.

I thought the series got better every season. More about House.

Very sad to see it end. No other show has captured me with this one character. Don't think another will.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
house , house md , tv shows