Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #21
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been very happy with my Bosch, which does have the third rack. I agree with the advice to make sure you get the better ones made in Germany. They're a bit more, but the US ones are just re-badges.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Get a Miele. Very efficient and quiet.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #23
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Miele, Whirlpool, Bosch would be what I'd choose from.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Have a Maytag that is decently quiet, but the control panel has gone on it 3 times in 5 years of ownership. Would not recommend.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:25 PM   #25
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I find everyone has that 1 appliance they love over the rest. For me, that is a dishwasher.
I bought this one a year ago - https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...10574216.aspx?

Pros:
- On heavy cycle and zone booster, dishes with burnt stuff from the oven or crock pot come out looking brand new.
- Has a 3rd row rack but this is also a con (see below)
- Incredibly quiet.... unbelievable almost
- New waterfall technology which sold me but I still don't know why it is better (guessing more even spray)
- 5 yr warranty works out to be cheaper than some of the more reliable brands without warranty.

Cons:
- The load setting we use most often is at minimum 2 and a half hours
- The third rack was pulled out as I find it useless. Water shoots out from the bottom, middle and then on top but I don't think the pressure from the top is great and if you fill the middle glass rack, none of the 2 water sources below get to the top so you basically sprinkle water on top of the utensils. The adjustable racks as well make it impossible to have gym style water bottles in the middle and dinner plates on the bottom.

Waterfall doing it's thing

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #26
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Looks like a Miele it is.

Would you recommend having a Miele installer install it or is it something you think you could do yourself? If it is a matter of disconnecting the old dishwasher and then just reconnecting the Miele, no problem. Anything beyond that (new drain hose, changing of fitting type) would be beyond my skill/comfort level.
A quick online search shows some of those things might be required. Also, if a Miele tech installs it, you get two extra years of warranty.

IIRC Miele does something a bit different with the hose at the back...has to be high up or something. Ask when you buy.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #27
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

We're downsizing and just selected all our appliances after Christmas. Because the supplier doesn't sell LG we went with the Samsung model that Travis posted above.

I spent way too much time researching what appliances to get and bought a subscription to Consumer Reports online. To my surprise, in basically every type of appliance they rated, LG came out on top or near it.

For dishwashers it was either LG or Bosch. We've had a Bosch for almost ten years and haven't had any issues at all.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #28
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
IIRC Miele does something a bit different with the hose at the back...has to be high up or something. Ask when you buy.
I remember the same.

We got a Miele in our old house and loved it. I installed which means it can’t be that hard, but remember the hose, the power connection being different, and the dishwasher itself being slightly narrower than our old. Not so narrow that anyone noticed, but it did add a wrinkle to the installation.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #29
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have heard good things about miele and will likely go with one of them once our current dishwasher dies.... or i get sick of it and put my foot thru the door.

we currently have a jenn-air dishwasher and it sucks. it's basically a 'sterilizer' becuz it sure doesn't get stuff clean. we have to wash pretty much everything off all plates, bowls and cutlery if we want it to not have food stuck on it when we take it out of the dishwasher. what really ticks me off is that it was an expensive dishwasher too. i almost wouldn't mind a crappy dishwasher that didn't do a good job if we cheaped out, but we didn't.
when an appliance repair man was over fixing our fridge last year i asked him about the dishwasher - he checked it over and he said everything was good. nothing was blocked. all drain stuff was clean and it was working correctly
Old 01-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #30
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Looking for recommendations on a new dishwasher. Old one is on its last legs, I've repaired it for the last time. Looking for stainless steel. I have no idea what a reasonable price is for a quality dishwasher so just fire some suggestions to me. Family of 5, two loads a day, quiet operation and performance are the two main criteria.
I searched for a thread on this subject and couldn't find one ... sorry if this is a redundant thread.
Thanks in advance
Bosch is good. Got ours from trail...

My only gripe is the food grinder could be better

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #31
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will the Miele's do a proper job of cleaning peanut buttery knives? Our current Frigidaire is incapable of removing peanut butter or nutella.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:04 PM   #32
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I had a Bosch and it was excellent. I hear there are some cheaper ones, but the one I had was made in Germany and it was really great. Now I have a Miele and it’s also excellent (moved, in case you’re wondering why the switch).
Our Bosch is 8 years old and a workhorse. Never a single problem.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #33
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Looks like a Miele it is.

Would you recommend having a Miele installer install it or is it something you think you could do yourself? If it is a matter of disconnecting the old dishwasher and then just reconnecting the Miele, no problem. Anything beyond that (new drain hose, changing of fitting type) would be beyond my skill/comfort level.
A quick online search shows some of those things might be required. Also, if a Miele tech installs it, you get two extra years of warranty.
Miele installation is extremely straightforward, and much easier than any NA dishwasher, but dishwashers are almost always directly connected to the electrical line (as opposed to having a plug into a receptacle) so you might not like that part.

EDIT: Whoops, I dun goofed. Bosch dishwashers are the easy ones to install. Sorry.

Last edited by Shazam; 01-08-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #34
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Will the Miele's do a proper job of cleaning peanut buttery knives? Our current Frigidaire is incapable of removing peanut butter or nutella.
Ours did. That reminds me. Ours came with a Miele soap - the other recommended alternate was finish quantum. After some experimenting we used that. maybe the detergent matters too? When using one of those the only thing I found it didn’t handle was cooked on rice in the bottom of a pot.

Our current house has an Asko the previous owners bought. Works great, but I discovered has a dumb European water line if you need to fix it.
Bend it like Bourgeois is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #35
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ Are you telling me that a dishwasher should handle cooked-on rice? I am definitely upgrading after we do a kitchen reno.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #36
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

First house came with GE and it was crap. Current house came with Bosch and was pleasantly surprised that it worked well for past 10 years without issues (knock on wood) other than occasional blocked hose from putting sunflower seed shells in error without proper rinsing. I dislike German cars for lack of long term reliability, but appliances, I am satisfied with.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #37
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Whirlpool Gold. It came with the house when we bought it 6.5 years ago. I believe it was in the house for three years prior to us buying it.

The only problem I had with it is kids not scraping or rinsing loose debris off of their plates. I had to take it apart to unclog the thing. Otherwise it has worked very well.

My work has had Frigidaire in the staff lounge and it has given nothing but problems.

I've never heard anyone have issues with Miele or Bosch though. If you can afford them then look into them.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #38
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just replaced our KitchenAid dishwasher that was installed back in 2012. It was probably a great dishwasher when new, but it was clear the previous owners of the house didn't take good care of it, so it was pretty bad at doing the one thing we asked of it -- washing dishes properly.

Miele and Bosch were the two brands I settled on after doing my research. The big kicker with the Miele was the upfront cost for what we wanted, it was pretty pricey and the Bosch I liked was cheaper and significantly quieter. Reviews basically said Miele is the champion, and Bosch was #2. Repair rates I found were not significantly worse for Bosch versus Miele (Miele was better, that said).

We ended up with the Bosch SHXM98W75N. It is QUIET (only 39 dBA!), and the dishes look friggin' magnificent. I installed it myself and it was a breeze. I'd recommend picking up a dishwasher installation kit if you're doing it yourself, as the dishwasher doesn't come with the 90 degree elbow for the hot water line. We've had it for two weeks and no regrets at all.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #39
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I just replaced our KitchenAid dishwasher that was installed back in 2012. It was probably a great dishwasher when new, but it was clear the previous owners of the house didn't take good care of it, so it was pretty bad at doing the one thing we asked of it -- washing dishes properly.

Miele and Bosch were the two brands I settled on after doing my research. The big kicker with the Miele was the upfront cost for what we wanted, it was pretty pricey and the Bosch I liked was cheaper and significantly quieter. Reviews basically said Miele is the champion, and Bosch was #2. Repair rates I found were not significantly worse for Bosch versus Miele (Miele was better, that said).

We ended up with the Bosch SHXM98W75N. It is QUIET (only 39 dBA!), and the dishes look friggin' magnificent. I installed it myself and it was a breeze. I'd recommend picking up a dishwasher installation kit if you're doing it yourself, as the dishwasher doesn't come with the 90 degree elbow for the hot water line. We've had it for two weeks and no regrets at all.
I think that this is the newer version of my Bosch. We love it! Very quiet, top row cutlery, and when used with salt in the built in water softener, amazing clean. We never rinse, and I do try to use the sterilize feature especially during cold and flu season. It was a bit more expensive but I would buy the same again or maybe even the next model up.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #40
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
I remember the same.
All dishwashers' drain hoses should be affixed high, at the underside of the counter, to prevent a clogged drain line from backing up into the machine. Anyone who does it any other way is doing it wrong.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post: