Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #201
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
Claudio Reyna, Tim Howard, Brad Friedel and it looks like Michael Bradley could have a Serie A medal this year. All class players.
They have had their moments but are they players that would walk onto CL clubs in the best leagues?

Quote:
Hargreaves is English and I wouldn't rate him as being better than any of the players I've mentioned. He was lucky to be part of squads that were successful
Howard is the only player on your list that was sought by SAF. While he and Hargreaves shared a similar fate at Old Trafford, I think a healthy Hargreaves could have cut it. If anything, the kid was unlucky.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Addick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #202
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Psshh well if we're turning this into a pissing match betwen the minnows then Poland beats both in top talent
Ahh Poland... Aka Germany reserves
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottish_flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #203
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

It's really sad that Canada isn't winning this game already. I mean they're playing a country with a population of 2 million and essentially facing their 2nd team.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:58 AM   #204
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
They have had their moments but are they players that would walk onto CL clubs in the best leagues?

Howard is the only player on your list that was sought by SAF. While he and Hargreaves shared a similar fate at Old Trafford, I think a healthy Hargreaves could have cut it. If anything, the kid was unlucky.
Reyna played in the champions league with great players and didn't look out of place. Actually played better than the players he was around.

Canada are looking very poor can't make simple passes
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #205
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

0-0 vs Slovenia at halftime. By all accounts on Twitter the game is actually pretty even. Here is some feedback on the game so far:

Ben Rycroft@callitfootball5m
Even on shots, even on shots on goal, ahead on corners. Odd #canmnt

Jason deVos@jasondevos11m
0-0 at the half. A much better performance from #canMNT

Duane Rollins@24thminute20m
Here's the thing. This pair of games has been the best all year. There is slight improvement happening. Play a minnow in Feb to get result.

Jason deVos@jasondevos35m
A decent opening 20 minutes from #canMNT. Despite Slovenia just hitting the bar.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #206
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Ahh Poland... Aka Germany reserves
So true its not even funny. Im surprised they kept the all of the big dortmund 3.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #207
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ahh poland... Aka germany starters
fyp
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #208
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, a 1-0 loss to Slovenia. Sounds like we were better at the back but still lacked any sort of creativity up front.

What we need to do is start developing better strikers as a nation. I can only name 2 Canadian strikers being developed in the MLS, that is Caleb Clarke and Kyle Porter, and only Porter is getting regular minutes.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #209
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
So, a 1-0 loss to Slovenia. Sounds like we were better at the back but still lacked any sort of creativity up front.

What we need to do is start developing better strikers as a nation. I can only name 2 Canadian strikers being developed in the MLS, that is Caleb Clarke and Kyle Porter, and only Porter is getting regular minutes.
I wouldn't put too much stock into the defensive performance today. Slovenia was without a lot of their better midfielders and strikers (Novakovic, Matavz, Koren, Kampl)
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #210
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Canada really misses Edgar out there. He is great at bringing the ball up from the back and doing something with it. Our midfield usually looks like they are just trying to not lose posession before hoofing a horrible cross rather then creating and attacking. Ossorio has really dropped off. He looks a lot better playing with Mattias Laba.

That said, Bekker, who I normally can't stand to watch, actually had a decent game. When he actually gets himself an open opportunity he's got a rocket shot.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #211
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Canada needs to do something about it's soccer program. If you took 20 Canadian athletes and pitted them against 20 American athletes, we would destroy the Americans in soccer. There is no justification for us not coming close to qualifying for the World Cup.

PS...Just realized this is my 1,000th post!
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #212
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

How do you possibly figure that we would destroy them?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #213
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
How do you possibly figure that we would destroy them?
If it were 20 professional Canadian athletes vs. 20 division 3 NCAA college soccer players, he'd be right!
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #214
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Canada needs to do something about it's soccer program. If you took 20 Canadian athletes and pitted them against 20 American athletes, we would destroy the Americans in soccer. There is no justification for us not coming close to qualifying for the World Cup.

PS...Just realized this is my 1,000th post!
Not a chance. For fun, let's make these teams?
I can choose anyone right? If I put Kobe Bryant and Calvin Johnson on the team, that alone would kill you.

I want Sebatian Janakowski as my keeper

NFL Corners = fullback
NBA Forwards = center backs
NFL Linebackers = central midfielders
NBA Guards or MLB Basestealers = wingers
Kobe Bryant's my #10
NFL Wide receivers = forwards

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #215
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Our best hope would be to flood the pitch and freeze it before the game. I bet Kobe is an ankle skater.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #216
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
If it were 20 professional Canadian athletes vs. 20 division 3 NCAA college soccer players, he'd be right!
Sorry, I meant if you took 20 random Canadian athletes vs 20 random American athletes, we would destroy them at soccer. Canadians are simply better at soccer than America. I know this because I was on the provincial team in the 90s, and we played the American team, and used to destroy them 20-1, 15-0, 17-3, etc.

The problem is Canada lets it's star players like Owen Hargraves play for other coutries, but America imports much of it's talent from the 3rd world.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #217
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

So your youth team won some games and that makes us better?

Haven't we had this conversation before? The USMNT is almost entirely made up of players who were born and raised in the US. Which Canadian stars represent other countries?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #218
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reyna played in the champions league with great players and didn't look out of place. Actually played better than the players he was around.

Canada are looking very poor can't make simple passes
Bit harsh on Hargreaves. He didn't just fit in, or look out of place.

He played in a Champions League Final as the youngest player in the match as a 20 year old central midfielder. He played the full 120 minutes, didn't concede an open play goal, and they won.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #219
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously Canada has a problem with losing some talented players to other countries. Hargreaves, De Guzman, Hoilett (probably), would have all helped Canada a fair amount. It really is a chicken and egg thing though. These players could help the program if they played for Canada, but the program can't get better when so many Canadians hold two passports because their parents are born somewhere else. Heck, even I can skip the customs lines at Heathrow because of where my folks are from.

As much as I'm a proud Canadian, I have to give the Americans credit with what they have done there in the past 20 years. They are just better than Canada at soccer - there's not even an argument.

I did a quick scan of players with "regular" minutes from the USA's World Cup Qualifying campaign, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but there was only one foreign-born player: Mikkel Diskerud. He's a Norwegian dual citizen because his mother is American.

Canada has equivalents in Milan Borjan and Simeon Jackson who were not born in Canada. The argument that the USA has constructed their team by importing foreigners is just not true.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #220
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada is hosting Jamaica at BMO on Sept 9, and will travel to Panama on Nov 18 for friendlies. This is their first friendly in Central America in 27 years...

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-mnt-t...n-2014-p155987

Also, looks like we may have a stud joining the MNT team soon. 17 year old Canigglia Ginola Elva of Calgary SW United is currently on trial at Arsenal, and has attracted interest from Barcelona, Benfica and Stuttgart (who have already offered him a contract). Was born in St. Lucia, currently looking to get his passport and play for Les Rouges.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26...nds-arsenal-fc

Last edited by shermanator; 03-02-2014 at 01:15 PM.