Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Garth Brooks ticket situation

Anyone check out Kijiji? Whats the deal with the crazyness around Garth Brooks tickets? It's hillarious some of these ads. I heard there was a bit of a screw up or bad judgement made for selling the tickets to begin with, can anyone shed some light on this?
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Essentially, 500,000 people wanted what amounted to about 2,000-3,000 spots (assuming a 6 ticket max). People are pissed that ticket resellers are trying to commit highway robbery (thousands for $65 tickets), and that tickets were available for resale before the tickets went on sale to general public. People ignore the fact almost 4,000 tickets were already gone before they went to the general public (Flames president club members, other various groups)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Well he's coming out of touring retirement to sing at the Stampede (It will still be at the Dome, but it's a Stampede event, which makes sense and adds to the allure) so I guess it was a big deal for a lot of people. And the scalpers took advantage.

58 seconds was the official sell out time. Wow!
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

You could not pay me thousands to see Garth. What a hack.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ372905909
Quote:
I am not a scalper, I put the tickets up thinking that they wouldn't sell in a million years. Just wanted to let everyone know... I know it was bad and I contributed to the problem, this is what I am doing to try and help. I will keep you posted.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

In addition to everything Senator Clay Davis it also appears there are opportunistic scammers with no tickets at all that are placing ads with "send us the money, we'll mail the tickets".

If you're heart is set on seeing this concert & you accept your gonna be paying through the nose than your best bet is to go through StubHub I imagine, at least you have some protection/recourse if you get no/fake tickets.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I heard what happened was that the tickets for $65 for every seat in the dome instead of tiered pricing so it was first come first serve so people are radically jacking up the prices of the good seats, etc.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
In addition to everything Senator Clay Davis it also appears there are opportunistic scammers with no tickets at all that are placing ads with "send us the money, we'll mail the tickets".

If you're heart is set on seeing this concert & you accept your gonna be paying through the nose than your best bet is to go through StubHub I imagine, at least you have some protection/recourse if you get no/fake tickets.
Shhhh man! Not cool, not cool!

In all seriousness, if you get caught by something like that in today's day and age, I have zero sympathy for you.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of these people are paying money that could get them a trip to Vegas and a ticket to his show....
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news, Dave Foley is coming to town!

http://laughshopcalgary.com/CalgaryL...6-28-2012.aspx

25 smackers only
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

100% on Stubhub. I always use them for resale, and though you have to add a 10% surcharge (handling or whatever crap fee they wanna claim), all my tickets I've gotten from them are 100% legit.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

If you wanna see Garth so bad, and are going to pay ######ed prices, go see him at the Wynn in Vegas. Tacky musician, tacky town, and you will still pay through the nose. At least you can do something fun after, instead of stepping in some teenagers puke next to the diesel powered tilt-o-whirl next to the deep fried bologna sandwich stand.

God the Stampede is a ghetto piece of crap.

edit: coys1882 beat me to it.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I heard what happened was that the tickets for $65 for every seat in the dome instead of tiered pricing so it was first come first serve so people are radically jacking up the prices of the good seats, etc.
Sounds like the priced their tickets way too low.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #14
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the Stampede has Shania Twin, maybe they should get Garth Books to perform at the Coca Cola stage!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
You could not pay me thousands to see Garth. What a hack.
I would go for a couple of thousand. If you want to pay me to see Garth Brooks, PM me.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #16
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails did something interesting on their farewell tour to thwart scalpers & make good on the inflated prices people would pay. They opted to auction tickets off themselves (I believe it was 15-20 pairs per show) in special VIP/Meet & Greet packages and donate the money to cover a fans medical bills & donate to the charity associated with the fan's condition.

So essentially fans were still paying 100's/1000's above face value this allowed the artist to have some say in where the inflated cost went.

This was in addition to the usual paperless ticket system more artist/tours are moving towards.

At the end of the day there is a gap between the market value for event tickets (what some one is willing/able to pay) and what the vendor (ticketb*******) is currently selling for. Now it could be argued that this is the result of artificial inflation created by the scalpers, and I wouldn't disagree, but either way the vendor/artist are leaving money on the table with their current model.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

It's the single biggest show in the world this year for a country music fan. Garth's Vegas show is just him and a guitar. This show will be full band and full production. Something which he hasn't done in about 18 months anywhere in the world, and probably won't do for another 18 months anywhere in the world. So not only are people coming in for this show from Alberta, but it's really a world wide thing.

The ticket prices for this show, believe it or not are high for Garth. The ticket price in Vegas he doesn't set, but the last few arena shows he's done have had ticket prices of $10, $45 and $25 each. So they're always a scalpers dream. He just wants tickets to be affordable for anyone who wants to see him.

I managed to get a single ticket off a friend at $62 and some heroin beer, so I'm pumped!
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
flamesflames444
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I just had a look at the Kijiji ads and some of them are downright hilarious. People complaining about prices being to0 high and not being able to afford them, but ultimately it is all about supply and demand, so as long as people are willing to pay $500-1,000 per ticket, the scalpers are going to be charging that amount. The uproar that has come out of this is ridiculous. All of the clowns posting on there asking for tickets but refusing to pay more than face value - cmon!

Btw, I was one of the unlucky ones to not get tickets last Saturday, but unlike all of the other people complaining out there, I will wait patiently as ticket prices drop like they always do and hopefully should be able to snag a decent pair for the price that all other Stampede concert tickets retail for a few weeks before the concert date.. I have been to see Garth in Vegas and although it was very much worth it, I think the atmosphere for his concert at Stampede will be phenomenal.
flamesflames444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post
It's the single biggest show in the world this year for a country music fan. Garth's Vegas show is just him and a guitar. This show will be full band and full production. Something which he hasn't done in about 18 months anywhere in the world, and probably won't do for another 18 months anywhere in the world. So not only are people coming in for this show from Alberta, but it's really a world wide thing.

The ticket prices for this show, believe it or not are high for Garth. The ticket price in Vegas he doesn't set, but the last few arena shows he's done have had ticket prices of $10, $45 and $25 each. So they're always a scalpers dream. He just wants tickets to be affordable for anyone who wants to see him.

I managed to get a single ticket off a friend at $62 and some heroin beer, so I'm pumped!
Well then either he's an idiot or he should set up a system that actually allows that to happen. Radiohead manage to severely limit the ability of scalpers to operate by limiting purchases to 2 tickets and requiring purchasers with ID to use the tickets (along with a guest who must be with them).

The whole 'I just want my real fans to be able to afford it' line is nothing but an attempt to play to a good guy image if he's not taking the steps to actually make that the case.
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails did something interesting on their farewell tour to thwart scalpers & make good on the inflated prices people would pay. They opted to auction tickets off themselves (I believe it was 15-20 pairs per show) in special VIP/Meet & Greet packages and donate the money to cover a fans medical bills & donate to the charity associated with the fan's condition.

So essentially fans were still paying 100's/1000's above face value this allowed the artist to have some say in where the inflated cost went.

This was in addition to the usual paperless ticket system more artist/tours are moving towards.

At the end of the day there is a gap between the market value for event tickets (what some one is willing/able to pay) and what the vendor (ticketb*******) is currently selling for. Now it could be argued that this is the result of artificial inflation created by the scalpers, and I wouldn't disagree, but either way the vendor/artist are leaving money on the table with their current model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Well then either he's an idiot or he should set up a system that actually allows that to happen. Radiohead manage to severely limit the ability of scalpers to operate by limiting purchases to 2 tickets and requiring purchasers with ID to use the tickets (along with a guest who must be with them).

The whole 'I just want my real fans to be able to afford it' line is nothing but an attempt to play to a good guy image if he's not taking the steps to actually make that the case.
Further to both these posts, NIN made it so that you had to present ID and CC to get your tickets, they were only available at the will call and as soon as you got them you had to go inside. My name was even on the tickets.

Makes getting in a bit tricky (and not every ticket was personalized, just the presale tickets IIRC) as it takes longer but it meant there was pretty much no secondary market.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: