Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #2261
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read a comparison of the basic 11 and the Pro that convinced me that the Pro isn’t worth it. Sorry, I don’t have the link.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #2262
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I read a comparison of the basic 11 and the Pro that convinced me that the Pro isn’t worth it. Sorry, I don’t have the link.
Yeah, anything I've seen wouldn't justify the jump in $800 or more.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:22 PM   #2263
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The only thing attractive to me about the Pro is the telephoto lens. I'm sure I could do without it. Still hoping someone knows of a site where refurbished iphones are available at a good price or a decent sale somewhere?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #2264
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you want iPhone but on the cheap why not the XR? One review I read thinks sit holds up to the new ones and that the Pro is not worth it unless you will use the extra lens a considerable amount which I am sure most will not. The knock on the XR is the LCD screen which most cannot tell the difference from anyways in most general light scenarios.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #2265
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scenario: My Macbook Air can be upgraded to Catalina, and my trusty old iPhone 6 can't get iOS 13. I don't need a new phone at the moment, I have a great "bring your own phone" data plan, and the old iPhone 6 owes me nothing.

I know that the Reminders apps have been completely overhauled. A friend who shares a reminder list with me has upgraded to iOS 13 and subsequently I can't access the old shared list. No big deal - I have some workarounds.

What I don't want to happen is when/if I upgrade my Mac to Catalina, my reminders won't be accessible via my iOS 12 phone, and vice versa.

Can someone give me some specific details about upgrading to Catalina, from a reminders perspective? Can I permanently opt out of upgrading my reminders database in iCloud so that I can continue to use my old school reminders in iOS 12 and simultaneously Catalina? Or will I be finding a third party reminder app (and losing the ability to sync with my phone, my wife, etc.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #2266
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What happened to the Apple News widget in the beta updates?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:17 PM   #2267
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What happened to the Apple News widget in the beta updates?
Mine is normal

Edit : on my iPad it’s normal, I stopped testing fate with my iPhone 11 and beta’s.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #2268
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default General Apple Megathread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Mine is normal

Edit : on my iPad it’s normal, I stopped testing fate with my iPhone 11 and beta’s.

Mine is now showing, “Read Stories in Apple News” instead of displaying a few trending stories.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:26 PM   #2269
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Has anybody ever had to install an older iOS? I have an old iPad mini that I kept on iOS 9, but now an app needs iOS 10. It can handle iOS 12 (and prompts me to install)- but I'd rather keep it lower for performance.

I found getios.com but I don't know how reliable their software is. I'd like to keep it to iOS 10 if possible.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #2270
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Has anybody ever had to install an older iOS? I have an old iPad mini that I kept on iOS 9, but now an app needs iOS 10. It can handle iOS 12 (and prompts me to install)- but I'd rather keep it lower for performance.

I found getios.com but I don't know how reliable their software is. I'd like to keep it to iOS 10 if possible.
For the software to run it needs to be signed. Apple does not sign anything for devices except the most recent software that device can support (newest iOS options like iOS 13 will support older releases for 2-4 weeks). If you had saved your ShSH blobs for that device you can load up the firmware for whatever the shsh blob was saved for (example have shsh blobs for iOS 10.1 you can load 10.1 etc) the ShSH blob needs to be saved for each version of the software you would want to revert to, one blob will not work for all versions of iOS and not all versions of iOS will work with this method. Pretty much what happens is instead of iTunes using apples host file to check the digital signature of the firmware you modify the hosts file to point to your ShSH blobs and allows the firmware to be signed.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #2271
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Apple did a great job with iOS 12 to make older hardware faster. I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade to it on your mini.

https://mashable.com/article/ios-12-ipad-mini-2/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #2272
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

FYI as I posted in another thread, the fire stick now has the Apple TV app.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #2273
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Airpods out today? Kinda out of no where?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:18 PM   #2274
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm upgrading RAM on a new iMac to 64gb (currently has 8gb, 4 slots) is it better to go 2x32gb or 4x16gb? Is there any difference in terms of reliability? If all is equal, I'd prefer to go with using two slots in case I want to upgrade later.

If two is ok, is it ok to leave the older smaller RAM in the other 2 slots?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:02 PM   #2275
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Go with 2.
And yes you can leave your other sims in. The iMac can support 128 so you will have the ability to match the 2 sims later if you would like. Ram will always operate at the slower speed.

The big thing to remember is that Apple likes to confuse you with Dimms and Banks. You want the same size in the same Dimm.

Example :
BankO / Dimm0 : 4gb
Bank1 / Dimm0 : 4gb
Bank0 / Dimm1 : 32gb
Bank1 / Dimm1 : 32gb

What year is your iMac? I noticed they renamed them in the newest iMacs so you need to match bank 0 to bank 2 then match bank 1 to 3. So in other words inverse it. Yeah. WTF.

Confused yet? Haha

Last edited by Diemenz; 10-31-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #2276
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confused indeed, ha.

I'm about to buy a new iMac (3.6GHz 8-core i9 processor). Instead of spending $1200(!) to upgrade to 64GB with Apple, I was thinking of getting the base 8GB and then just upgrading to 64 with OWC RAM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #2277
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple Tax dodger!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:48 PM   #2278
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Confused indeed, ha.

I'm about to buy a new iMac (3.6GHz 8-core i9 processor). Instead of spending $1200(!) to upgrade to 64GB with Apple, I was thinking of getting the base 8GB and then just upgrading to 64 with OWC RAM.
I was having deja vu after reading this and thought "I totally thought i was mentioning what I used on a forum about this" and then realized we had discussed it in this thread. 100% the route to go, way cheaper. Yours is a new iMac so you will need to use the bank 0 to bank 2 / bank 1 to bank 3 matching if i remember correctly
Old 11-14-2019, 08:02 PM   #2279
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Other than Apple Pencil support and a slightly faster chipset they're basically the same.

If you don't care about those features then the only advantages to using the new one is getting an extra year of updates and not having to upgrade as soon as if you kept the old one. I'd say it comes down to whether the money you'd get by selling it important to you.
Was thinking of gifting that iPad for a family member but I figure i’d rather sell the iPad and spread the wealth and use the funds for better Xmas gifts

Thanks for the advice!

iPad is up on the buy and sell sub forum
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #2280
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

New Macbook Pro

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019...yboard-design/

The biggest thing that interests me is they abandoned the keyswitches from the current ones and did something new. Apparently key travel almost doubled. My biggest complaint with my work laptop is the keyboard.

And they made a physical escape key instead of the dumb oled bar.