Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Smith: 'Age is just a number

Quote:
Now 36, Calgary Flames goaltender Mike Smith insists age is just a number entering his 13th NHL season.

He told the Calgary Sun on Thursday he believes he still has plenty left in the tank.

“I haven’t aged five years in one year, so I think I still feel young,” Smith said. “I still feel like I have a lot to give. I still feel like I’ve played some of my best hockey in the last three or four years. Hopefully that continues and I can stay healthy and be as consistent as possible.
Quote:
“It was important for me to come in and have a really good start,” he said. “It’s another important year – the last year of my contract. I feel like I want to keep this thing going and be a stabilizing force back there. The consistency is something you always battle with as a goalie. As someone who likes to play a lot, you want to be as consistent as possible. Everyone in the league likes to have that; that’s something you scratch and claw for throughout your whole career…Then, the winning part of it. You want to be in the playoffs, that’s a team goal we’ll talk about more. But being a part of this organization, you want to get this team back in the playoffs.
It'll be a interesting year for Smith, All dependent on Gillies/Rittich if they can prove they can take the wheel and drive the bus but if they show they can't. I can see the Flames inking him to a new deal if he has another solid season.

https://www.tsn.ca/flames-g-smith-ag...mber-1.1169109
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #2
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m betting we sign Smith to a 1 year deal after this season whether he’s 1A or 1B. And the cap hit will be cheaper.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Toonage; 09-07-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:01 AM   #4
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I’m betting we sign Smith to a 1 year deal after this season whether he’s 1A or 1B. And the cap hit will be cheaper.
Oh please no. With the rest of the team essentially locked in it's time to start looking for a long-term #1 solution between the pipes. No more band-aids and no more wishing and praying for unproven backups and far-off prospects to take sudden leaps forward.

I'm glad Smith feels good but it's getting to the point where it's a "when, not if" situation with him and significant injuries. I'd like the team to move on after his contract is up.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Oh please no. With the rest of the team essentially locked in it's time to start looking for a long-term #1 solution between the pipes. No more band-aids and no more wishing and praying for unproven backups and far-off prospects to take sudden leaps forward.

I'm glad Smith feels good but it's getting to the point where it's a "when, not if" situation with him and significant injuries. I'd like the team to move on after his contract is up.
If Gillies/Rittich prove they can't become a #1. Who out there is able to take over the reigns?

Do the Flames have enough assets to trade for a legit #1?
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
If Gillies/Rittich prove they can't become a #1. Who out there is able to take over the reigns?

Do the Flames have enough assets to trade for a legit #1?
I think we need to worry more about cap room vs's having the assets to chase a #1.

Tkachuk is going to command 6+

We will need Smith's cap hit to be able to fit Tkachuk in for next year based on the contracts that are locked up long term (2+ years)

In order to go out and get a #1 we'll need to get rid of assets + clear up space so you'd have to imagine a big contract will need to be moved just dont know who it would be.

Likely Stone & Frolik are looking at the most expendable next year based on cap hits, that gives us north of 6M if you fill those vacant spots with entry level deals. It's going to be interesting to see how this pans out for sure.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, you don’t just “decide” to stop having bandaids at a particular position, and if you do, it usually comes with an extreme cost.

Our three realistic hopes are: A long term starter becomes available, one of guys in the pipeline emerges as a #1, or Smith continues to be a quality starter.

You don’t take away one of those options just because you want the other two more. If Smith continues to be a short term solution and neither of the other hopes are realised next offseason, you 100% have to sign him.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #8
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, you don’t just “decide” to stop having bandaids at a particular position, and if you do, it usually comes with an extreme cost.

Our three realistic hopes are: A long term starter becomes available, one of guys in the pipeline emerges as a #1, or Smith continues to be a quality starter.

You don’t take away one of those options just because you want the other two more. If Smith continues to be a short term solution and neither of the other hopes are realised next offseason, you 100% have to sign him.
Treliving has had how many years now to get this sorted out? I'd understand where you're coming from if we hadn't just been pasting one band-aid over another since Kiprusoff retired. Enough already.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

too bad, I kind of wanted him to say that he changed his workout regimen this summer and now he's in "the best shape of his life", and also his groin has been hardened to the point where it is like wrought iron.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #10
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving has had how many years now to get this sorted out? I'd understand where you're coming from if we hadn't just been pasting one band-aid over another since Kiprusoff retired. Enough already.
So, what is your solution?

I am curious to know how you imagine the Flames find the starting goalie they need in the next summer, and what is required to acquire him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I am curious to know how you imagine the Flames find the starting goalie they need in the next summer, and what is required to acquire him.
For one thing, let's see what happens with Bobrovsky and the Jackets. My understanding is that there's a reasonable chance he hits UFA. At the end of the day it's not really my job to speculate on what's out there and who might be available a year from now. It's a futile exercise. But it's a results-oriented business, you find a way to solve the goaltending problem or you don't. And if you don't, well, your ass should rightfully be on the hot seat.

If the Flames miss the playoffs again and the goaltending didn't hold water, would you be satisfied to just shrug your shoulders and re-sign the same tandem that couldn't get it done two years in a row? Something tells me I'm not the only one who would be pissed about going back to the 37-year-old Mike Smith well in that scenario. Even if the Flames barely scrape into a wildcard spot and have another mediocre finish, it would still suck.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I like to say, age is just a number. A very large number.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #13
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Mine feels like it these days.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #14
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Father time is undefeated.

Start planning now for Smiths replacement next season.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:41 AM   #15
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Exactly. Father Time always wins. Ask Jagr, Iginla

I don’t know why Smith thinks he was so #### hot here, because it was only on the road.
Seems like at home, where the altitude must affect old bones, he was not very good.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:48 AM   #16
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
For one thing, let's see what happens with Bobrovsky and the Jackets. My understanding is that there's a reasonable chance he hits UFA. At the end of the day it's not really my job to speculate on what's out there and who might be available a year from now. It's a futile exercise. But it's a results-oriented business, you find a way to solve the goaltending problem or you don't. And if you don't, well, your ass should rightfully be on the hot seat.
I suspect that Bobrovsky's next contract is a minimum of six years and likely to be at least a $7 m AAV, but more probably closer to $8. Certainly, it is something that the GM needs to look into, but within the current salary structure I am not sure how plausible it is to add a top UFA goalie to this team.

As for the "goaltending problem," I don't think Treliving has the luxury of viewing it in isolation apart from the several other critical elements of building a NHL team. Moreover, I don't believe it was ever feasible for him to realize his vision for this team within even a five-year timeframe. The Flames's goaltending situation remains an open question because Treliving has prioritized other parts of the roster, but also because every General Manager is confronted by situational and circumstantial realities that make building a team non-linear. Had he opted for a better solution in goal earlier it almost certainly would have come at the expense of upgrades and improvements he has made elsewhere. This means that one or perhaps two of the Hamilton trade, the Tkachuk acquisition, the Hamonic trade, the Lindholm/Hanifin trade never happen. So, while the goaltending hole would be filled already, there would be other holes in the roster that still require filling.

Quote:
If the Flames miss the playoffs again and the goaltending didn't hold water, would you be satisfied to just shrug your shoulders and re-sign the same tandem that couldn't get it done two years in a row? Something tells me I'm not the only one who would be pissed about going back to the 37-year-old Mike Smith well in that scenario. Even if the Flames barely scrape into a wildcard spot and have another mediocre finish, it would still suck.
Sure. IF the Flames miss playoffs, or IF they just barely scrape in and disappoint, then I would think a change in goal is something that will need to be addressed. But we are not there yet. Not even close. The other side of this discussion is IF Smith, Rittich and the Flames have an excellent year, and IF they play a couple of playoff rounds then I think there is a very strong case to be made for extending Smith.

PepsiFree has correctly pointed out that you seem at the outset to have limited the options moving forward by an insistence that Smith needs to be replaced. Period. I think that is shortsighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-07-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I just don't see many goalies that are upgrades on Smith on the UFA market.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-age...oaltender/ufa/

Bobrovsky will get 8+ from a team, Varlamov is a toss.
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
But is it the loneliest number?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #19
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Goalies that were recently on the move that the Flames passed on... choosing to spend cap and Draft picks elsewhere:

Grubauer, Fluery, Bishop, Raanta ( all in the West)
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2018, 12:52 PM   #20
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames never passed on Bishop. Tried landing him 3 times.

Never passed on Fleury. Tried to get him actually.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post: