Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2020, 03:06 PM   #761
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside View Post
It's criminal I tell you. Criminal that McDavid isn't in the playoffs.

"I’m of the belief that fans innately want to see superstars succeed, regardless of which team they happen to play for. That success fosters a sense of validation to the entire ordeal of sports — that somewhere along the way logic factors in and one’s hopes aren’t tied to a bunch of dudes randomly guessing at how well grown men can bat a piece of rubber around a frozen pond.

Even if your allegiance lies steadfastly Calgary Flames, look me in the eyes and tell me that watching McDavid hoist Lord Stanley’s Cup won’t bring a smile to your face. You can’t."

I can.

L O L !

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/dep...163204248.html
I absolutely can.

Without hesitation. I want to see McDavid front and centre holding the #1 OA pick above his head in 'Cup Hoist' position.

Why would I give a crap if he ever wins a cup? I want McDavid to win a cup the year after he leaves the Oilers.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-09-2020, 03:08 PM   #762
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
or Erik Gustaffson. I heard that guy is pretty good.
I forgot that they drafted him and then didn't even offer him a contract.

• Oilers 2011 4th round pick: Tobias Rieder - traded for Kale Kessy, who never played an NHL game. (1G/1A for the Flames in the 2020 Qualifying Round)
  • Oilers 2012 4th round pick: Erik Gustafsson - No contract offer. (3A for the Flames in the 2020 Qualifying Round)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #763
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

• Oilers 2011 4th round pick: Tobias Rieder - traded for Kale Kessy, who never played an NHL game. (1G/1A for the Flames in the 2020 Qualifying Round)
  • Oilers 2012 4th round pick: Erik Gustafsson - No contract offer. (3A for the Flames in the 2020 Qualifying Round)
Don’t forget about John Marino. Drafted by the Oilers then traded for a 6th
Old 08-09-2020, 03:19 PM   #764
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

"I’m of the belief that fans innately want to see superstars succeed, regardless of which team they happen to play for. That success fosters a sense of validation to the entire ordeal of sports — that somewhere along the way logic factors in and one’s hopes aren’t tied to a bunch of dudes randomly guessing at how well grown men can bat a piece of rubber around a frozen pond.

Even if your allegiance lies steadfastly Calgary Flames, look me in the eyes and tell me that watching McDavid hoist Lord Stanley’s Cup won’t bring a smile to your face. You can’t."

I can.

L O L !

No kidding. The more years Edmonton doesn’t even make the playoffs, the happier I will be. No doubt he is a great player, one of the best, but he is an Oiler.
And oilers = NFG

I may developers a bit of a soft spot for him at the end of his xareer, if he leaves Edmonton. But until then - suck it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doctorfever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #765
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Don’t forget about John Marino. Drafted by the Oilers then traded for a 6th
A 6th 2 years in the future even.

I didn't include him because I assume his trade was because the player refused to sign in Edmonton rather than an "own-goal" by the Oilers. Also, I liked just focusing on the guys who are now on the Flames.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:38 PM   #766
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can.

L O L !

This is absolutely ridiculous I just called him out on Twitter for it. What a stupid thing to say.
Old 08-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #767
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man I liked Mike Stephens the other day with his absolutely savage take down of the Oilers. Now he’s just another clown.

Although he’s right. I would love to see McDavid win a cup. Multiple cups even. In a totally different jersey. Basically any other jersey.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #768
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't get why they let the llayers bail out of town so fast. Feels like they escaped some accountability by not having to face the music.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #769
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Check out this beauty of an article from Al "Lowetide" Mitchell.

https://theathletic.com/1984373/2020...r-a-quick-fix/

Don’t feel guilty if Edmonton wins the lottery
I have spoken to several Oilers fans who appear genuinely worried about winning another lottery. As I understand it, there’s a guilty feeling involved, as in the organization and fan base isn’t worthy.

My suggestion: Don’t spend a second worrying about it. NHL rulings, from 1979’s Bengt Gustafsson fiasco to the recent arbitrary decision to award the Calgary Flames a third-round pick in the James Neal-Milan Lucic deal, have gone against the Oilers many times.

Call it payback, call it karma, call it Gary Bettman running an honest league (I do, the McDavid lottery is proof), but for goodness’ sake, don’t feel guilty.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 08-09-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:19 PM   #770
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I still don't get why they let the llayers bail out of town so fast. Feels like they escaped some accountability by not having to face the music.

All the eliminated teams had to leave the bubble as soon as possible. I read an article on the Athletic this morning about it.

https://theathletic.com/1979679/2020...shared_article

Quote:
Initially, teams wanted a 36-hour window to vacate the bubbles after elimination. This made sense on some levels.

Because teams will scatter from Edmonton and Toronto to a host of offseason locales and since teams won’t reconvene until training camp for the 2020-21 season likely in mid-November if the pandemic allows, many end-of-season details have to be attended to in the bubbles.

There were plans for exit meetings to be held in the bubble cities.

But league organizers started looking at that window after competition and the potential for players or any team staff, for that matter, no longer in the hunt for the Cup to blow off steam and consider breaching the bubble. They then revised that plan.
Quote:
For players who request a physical before checking out of the bubble, the league will help teams assign medical officials to perform those medicals prior to departure. Team exit meetings will be done remotely at a later date.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #771
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

More points than any of the Oilers D.

The Oilers truly are the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:44 PM   #772
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yuck, that is horrendous.

The idea of that organization winning a cup after repeatedly destroying the careers of potential superstars and betraying the principles of 'team above individual' and 'leave it all on the ice', is just gross.

Until the Oilers become a franchise worth respecting, they won't deserve any smiles for their success. Fortunately, they also won't have any success until they actually become a franchise worth respecting.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
Old 08-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #773
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Rough justice" if Oilers win the lottery.

"Shut the #### up if the Oilers win it", "they deserve it"

Old 08-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #774
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I can.

L O L !

Why? McDavid plays a pad-my-stat game not a team game. So, he got what he deserve. Until he learn to play a team game, he'll be on the sideline when playoff rolls around and that's just fine!
Old 08-09-2020, 04:58 PM   #775
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

How could anyone make a case that the Oilers 'deserve' another 1st overall?

Seriously?

Even putting aside the nonsense of 'deserving' anything in regards to drafting, considering their recent drafting history I'd love to know how anyone could rationalize the Oilers as being 'deserving' another top player being gifted to them.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #776
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I absolutely can.

Without hesitation. I want to see McDavid front and centre holding the #1 OA pick above his head in 'Cup Hoist' position.

Why would I give a crap if he ever wins a cup? I want McDavid to win a cup the year after he leaves the Oilers.

Ha Ha...I was collecting tears by reading the Edmonton Press (a guilty pleasure, which brings me an (very slight) amount of shame), when I ran across that guy's column. I had to LOL, thinking, not the Flames' fans that I've gotten to know (and love) in my years participating in this fine forum. Just how delusionally entitled are those doofs in Edmonton?

Last edited by thefoss1957; 08-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thefoss1957 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #777
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

I could only listen to that for 13 minutes. What a bunch of bozos those two are. So bitter.
Old 08-09-2020, 05:02 PM   #778
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Why? McDavid plays a pad-my-stat game not a team game. So, he got what he deserve. Until he learn to play a team game, he'll be on the sideline when playoff rolls around and that's just fine!
Its a self-perpetuating cycle.

Again, this isnt Basketball. The Oilers need to actually provide McDavid with some help, until they do they're not going to win jack whether McDavid plays at 150% or a 200-foot game.

The concept of saying 'McDavid has to be better' is ludicrous. I'd pad my stats if I were him too.

The fact is that the Oilers as a team suck out loud. Just expecting more out of McDavid isnt going to resolve that. They are a paper thin team.

And its organizational, you can see other players check out because they expect McDavid to carry them. They did this with Hall too.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #779
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarMeter View Post
I could only listen to that for 13 minutes. What a bunch of bozos those two are. So bitter.
You lasted 12:40 longer than I did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #780
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Partially the oilers brass’ fault for giving him the captaincy so early. Some player are born leaders and some don’t need the “burden” of being the captain and the best player. You can’t force a square peg into a round hole. He is a gifted player, but probably would have done better under some solid veteran leadership for his first 4/5 years in the NHL.
I don’t really blame the oilers for making him C so early, as it looked like a slam dunk. But that is why I am sitting on my deck drinking beers on Sunday and not the GM of an nhl team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctorfever For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread