Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #621
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbound View Post
Did Rawson Lake today. Really enjoyed it. Just getting into hiking this year after a couple knee surgeries. We thought about doing Upper Kananaskis Lake but decided to do Rawson instead.
Rawson is a great hike, you're fortunate to have done it as it's been closed recently due to bears. Must have just reopened in the past couple of days.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #622
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Hey guys, I unexpectedly got the day off work at the last minute today. Anyone have any suggestions for a easy-moderate hike close to Calgary? I was thinking Grassi Lakes trail might be a good place to start, as im fairly new to this

Easy hikes nearby... grotto canyon, heart creek and grassy lakes are nice options.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #623
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Hey guys, I unexpectedly got the day off work at the last minute today. Anyone have any suggestions for a easy-moderate hike close to Calgary? I was thinking Grassi Lakes trail might be a good place to start, as im fairly new to this
Grassi is fine. Prairie Mountain is close-by, has some views and has a little bit of elevation but nothing too crazy.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #624
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Thanks guys! Decided on Grassi Lakes trail this time, I think next time I want to do Grotto Canyon

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfan1297 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #625
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Grassi is fine. Prairie Mountain is close-by, has some views and has a little bit of elevation but nothing too crazy.

Are you talking about elevation with respect to sea level? It's over 700 m gain over 3km. It would be an interesting date though. Do it at night for a better view of the city, or do some stargazing.

We decided to do Elbow Lake Loop this weekend. Hopefully its not too busy. We have gone there before and the views are great.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:26 PM   #626
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I found out there's a bit of a cheat code for the Johnston Canyon hike. If you make a reservation at the Bistro, you're allowed to drive and park there. So I did that, and the plan is now to hike in the morning and head there for lunch afterwards before coming back to town.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #627
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please drive that section safely, there are lots of cyclists about.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #628
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I found out there's a bit of a cheat code for the Johnston Canyon hike. If you make a reservation at the Bistro, you're allowed to drive and park there. So I did that, and the plan is now to hike in the morning and head there for lunch afterwards before coming back to town.
Cheater,

Have fun, id still try to be there by 10 for the hike so it’s just you and the canyon.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #629
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s a better route after Elbow Lake - Edworthy Falls or Rae Glacier?
Old 08-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #630
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What’s a better route after Elbow Lake - Edworthy Falls or Rae Glacier?

I think Rae Glacier/Pond. It's pretty interesting. Edworthy is nice but just a ramble down the busy trail. -- If you've got the time/energy Rae Lake or Piper Pass is better than either of those. Tombstone Lake is better too.

A bear pooped on my car tire today and right by the driver's door. I think there were a couple of them trying to jack my ride. This is not the year for me to be in the mountains.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 12:50 AM   #631
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife talked me into hiking the Valley of Five Lakes today. They say "an easy 2-hr 5-km hike". Well, maybe for the younger folk. Took some work going up and down while trying not to trip over roots and rocks along the way. Lakes are nice though...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2020, 04:34 AM   #632
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The bar & the Costco have become the trails this summer.

I'm often on the ones that are far enough out or will discourage the faint of heart, but decided to stick to easy ones today after completing my longest hike ever a few days back which took a toll. It was weird to see boom lake/Stanley glacier parking lots completely packed along the way, as well as other trailheads. Notable uptick in hikers over previous seasons.

Still easy to appreciate the spots, just means you have to wait for the urbanites there for their insta pose shots and the boom box crowds to do their swoop through and move on. Doesn't take long. I'm all for enjoying music but do you really need a ####y EDM soundtrack for your rare excursion into nature that's sure to drown out every bit the lovely, immersive natural environment around you? To each their own, I guess. Keep living the tiktok life bro!

Last edited by djsFlames; 08-09-2020 at 04:53 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:50 AM   #633
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Alright, CP... I need your help. I just started dating a girl who is, to put it mildly, out of my league. She wants to go for a hike on Sunday, but hasn't decided where to go (and it's not all that clear to me that she has any better knowledge of regional hiking trails than I do, which is to say, I have google).

I want to suggest a nice, scenic trail that has some spots where we could stop and take in the view, won't take all day, and nothing excessively strenuous, because I'm not necessarily in trail running shape (to put it mildly again) and would rather not look like I'm being roasted over a pit.

My future happiness is in your hands. Where would you all suggest we go?
Little tip - never defer to the girl come up with the plans, or just pose a plan as a suggestion. Take the lead and come up with the plan yourself with backup ideas as well, in case. They won't say it, but they want nothing to do with that stuff. She just wants to be along for the ride and to be pleasantly surprised by the experience that you put thought into beforehand.

That said, hope it went well!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #634
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think Rae Glacier/Pond. It's pretty interesting. Edworthy is nice but just a ramble down the busy trail. -- If you've got the time/energy Rae Lake or Piper Pass is better than either of those. Tombstone Lake is better too.

A bear pooped on my car tire today and right by the driver's door. I think there were a couple of them trying to jack my ride. This is not the year for me to be in the mountains.

We ended up going to the falls. The place was really busy, but my wife liked the path so we might try the glacier route during the week. I feel like it was a completely different path or distance to get there.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #635
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We ended up going to the falls. The place was really busy, but my wife liked the path so we might try the glacier route during the week. I feel like it was a completely different path or distance to get there.
The hike to RAe glacier doesn’t really follow the same path. You go onto to a goat path right after the lake.

Tombstone lake you just keep following the trail until you get to the elbow loop and then it’s another 2k to tombstone lakes. That would be more similar of a trail to the falls. Rae Glacier is nice but it isn’t the wide easy grade trail that the falls is.

I did picklejar today. That’s a pretty good half day hike. We hiked up into the bowl past the fourth lake hoping for a view of all the lakes but didn’t get one. I think if you went all the way along the moraine you would get one but we turned back before then.

Interesting footwear choices from the tennis shoe crowd. One older lady was in what appeared to be slippers. Perfect weather for hiking today as well. I forgot my rule for hiking easyier hikes of go before 10 or after 2.

Last edited by GGG; 08-09-2020 at 08:48 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:03 PM   #636
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The hike to RAe glacier doesn’t really follow the same path. You go onto to a goat path right after the lake.

Tombstone lake you just keep following the trail until you get to the elbow loop and then it’s another 2k to tombstone lakes. That would be more similar of a trail to the falls. Rae Glacier is nice but it isn’t the wide easy grade trail that the falls is.

I did picklejar today. That’s a pretty good half day hike. We hiked up into the bowl past the fourth lake hoping for a view of all the lakes but didn’t get one. I think if you went all the way along the moraine you would get one but we turned back before then.

Interesting footwear choices from the tennis shoe crowd. One older lady was in what appeared to be slippers. Perfect weather for hiking today as well. I forgot my rule for hiking easyier hikes of go before 10 or after 2.

Oops. I meant that I had been to Elbow Lake before, but it was a longer route or something and the lake was the end. I might be misremembering. It was about 6 or 7 years ago.

I didn’t see anybody in slippers, but I did come across the bro dudes with the little boom box playing what sounded to be Amp Radio. Fortunately they were quickly winded and we didn’t have to endure the music for too long. The backcountry campgrounds were surprisingly close to the parking lot. I should check their availability or try Tombstone. Now that we have our lighter camping gear it should be doable.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #637
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year has been a great year for me for getting out. In year's past I'd maybe do 2 hikes each year.

I've done:

Heart Creek Trail
Wapta Falls (great waterfall just inside BC)
Troll Falls
Coal Mine Trail
Moraine Lake Rockpile (not really a trail)
Ribbon Falls
Blackshale Suspension Bridge (from the Black Prince lot)
Boom Lake

I'm looking to push myself a bit this Saturday and do Galatea Lakes. Wondering if anyone has done it and what commentary you might have? If a person can complete Ribbon Falls is it likely doable to complete Galatea Lakes or is that a bit too hard?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #638
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

What's the difficulty of Sarrail Ridge compared to Ha-Ling? Did Ha-Ling without poles a few weeks ago. Not too bad, but definitely tiring for people that don't hike regularly. Hoping to try Sarrail this weekend with poles.
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #639
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
This year has been a great year for me for getting out. In year's past I'd maybe do 2 hikes each year.

I've done:

Heart Creek Trail
Troll Falls
Coal Mine Trail
Ribbon Falls
Boom Lake

I'm looking to push myself a bit this Saturday and do Galatea Lakes. Wondering if anyone has done it and what commentary you might have? If a person can complete Ribbon Falls is it likely doable to complete Galatea Lakes or is that a bit too hard?
Galatea isn't too hard and I would say comparable to Ribbon in difficulty. Leave early and leave yourself some time to fish up there if you're into that. Bring a fly fishing rod (and your license) if that's your jam and you'll catch many cutthroat trout. It's around 15-16k total round trip, maybe 550-600m elevation gain total.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #640
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post

I've done:

Heart Creek Trail
Troll Falls
Coal Mine Trail
Ribbon Falls
Boom Lake

Galatea is a fairly easy ascent to Lillian Lake, which is about 6.5km in, but the last 1.5 or so up to Galatea Lakes is fairly steep, and ascends a long rock field (not scree, larger stones) and then a really uphill section at the very end. If you made Ribbon Falls, you’ll make it, it’s just that last section that will be a challenge.

Get there either early or late in the day, it’s heavily travelled. I can’t imagine what it’s like this year, I’ve been lucky enough to avoid K country and do all my hiking in Yoho & Kootenay NP from a home base in Field.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Voodooman For This Useful Post:

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness