Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 09:42 PM   #6501
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for Special Master Judith Sheindlin to rule in the case of the century.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 09:50 PM   #6502
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Can't wait for Special Master Judith Sheindlin to rule in the case of the century.
Personal Responsibility! Whose fault really is it??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 11:28 PM   #6503
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Which is what the US is happily facilitating in the Yemen, half a million dead already, a million dead in Iraq, Afghanistan you think these wars against terror/muslims dont kill just as many?
This is not entirely accurate. Please be more specific as to your comment on how the US is “facilitating” the Yemen war.

They were pre-Biden, kinda. They’re not really now. Also it would be a million times more accurate if you changed the letters US and input UN and I’m pretty sure Canada and just about every “western” European country fit that bill too.

People like to criticize the USA for not supporting countries that need it and then these same types of people like to criticize the USA for doing it because of this thing called reality. The USA can’t dictate to every group, subgroup, gang, militia, religious group, cult, human on earth exactly how to act and behave. I hope people understand that but sometimes I wonder.

Further, I also find it a bit fascinating how the Saudi murder of Kashoggi and then some of their other cultural and religious doctrines and belief systems net them anywhere close to a regime like the USA, China, or any other country. To me I assume it is ignorance about Saudi Arabia but equating lousy womens rights to genocide is a strange comparison. How many people have the States assassinated? How many has China? Like, time to not be so naive and assume Saudi is the only country to try and control the messaging of its own country through violent means yet they definitely get treated a billion times worse than anyone by western media. Especially by Canadians and it is very odd if not leaning towards straight up racism.

Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 09-06-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:23 AM   #6504
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
They were pre-Biden, kinda. They’re not really now..
I don't understand what you mean with that, the current Yemen war started in 2014, but really that whole thing goes back to at least the previous civil war in 1994, and the previous civil war in 1986...

But I agree with your general point. It's not easy for superpowers to not get involved in these, because they have so many allies and enemies, so there's always someone they're connected to who's involved. And of course if you don't get involved, another superpower will use the opportunity to support one side to victory.

Or, you already supported one side to victory and then there's another war and now you're protecting your interests.

Of course if superpowers would stop treating the world as a chess board and decide to not supply arms to everyone, that would prevent and stop a lot of wars, but, well, you don't become a superpower without being imperialist dicks.

It is what it is, and has nothing to do with which party or president is "in charge" at any given time.

Last edited by Itse; 09-07-2022 at 04:25 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #6505
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I don't understand what you mean with that, the current Yemen war started in 2014, but really that whole thing goes back to at least the previous civil war in 1994, and the previous civil war in 1986...

But I agree with your general point. It's not easy for superpowers to not get involved in these, because they have so many allies and enemies, so there's always someone they're connected to who's involved. And of course if you don't get involved, another superpower will use the opportunity to support one side to victory.

Or, you already supported one side to victory and then there's another war and now you're protecting your interests.

Of course if superpowers would stop treating the world as a chess board and decide to not supply arms to everyone, that would prevent and stop a lot of wars, but, well, you don't become a superpower without being imperialist dicks.

It is what it is, and has nothing to do with which party or president is "in charge" at any given time.
Specifically what I mean and what I'm aware of is that pre-Biden the US was involved militarily a lot more in terms of intelligence and data support to the coalition side. After Biden was elected they simply ceased all of that support and now indirectly support theoretically (but it's actually moreso through the UN, so... everyone does?) and it's not in a military sense at all. So to say that they are supporting this war going on is basically not true.

Other thing is, I'm not convinced that arming people or not is what would prevent a lot of wars. A lot of these diverse ethnic groups, religions, specific regions will find a way to fight regardless of the type of weapon they are using. However we agree broadly on your other points and yes imperialism generally is not helpful however I can tell you that, as a Canadian, I would rather the USA be imperialist than any other country on earth strictly from a selfish perspective.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:12 AM   #6506
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Which is what the US is happily facilitating in the Yemen, half a million dead already, a million dead in Iraq, Afghanistan you think these wars against terror/muslims dont kill just as many?
We (Canada) are selling weapons/equipment to the Saudis that are being used in Yemen as well. The Iraq/Afghanistan wars where they were directly involved - that's fair to count but the ones where they just aren't policing allies seems like a stretch.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #6507
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obama is speaking at the WH right now at the unveiling of the official portraits of him and Michelle. It feels like forever since we've had someone this eloquent and with such charisma at the podium.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 12:40 PM   #6508
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Obama is speaking at the WH right now at the unveiling of the official portraits of him and Michelle. It feels like forever since we've had someone this eloquent and with such charisma at the podium.
Itty bitty gear grinder. They are American. Other than geography, no different than British, Pakistanian, or Japanese in this context. Unless you're American, then I apologize. I just get gear ground when Canadians use "us" and "we" when speaking about American issues.

In real life I correct a lot of people on this (mostly my kids to be fair) as I feel it's becoming more and more prevalent and is eroding the Canadian identity.

Back to American Politics now and their issues.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 09:37 PM   #6509
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I feel it's becoming more and more prevalent and is eroding the Canadian identity.
It reminds me of playing Civ 4 and going for the cultural victory. The USA (also grinds my gears when people appropriate "America" on their behalf) is an utter media and culture giant. Our sovereignty, and that of most western nations, is degraded because of it.

Imagine if the divisive attack style politics was originating in Kyrgyzstan instead of in the US, and we weren't bombarded with it, serving as inspiration for our looneys at home.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #6510
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Hahahaha!!!!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567563020217327616
Old 09-08-2022, 04:22 AM   #6511
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
...yeah I'm gonna call that a bit of a narcissistic take.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #6512
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Well I am absolutely shocked to learn Bannon would not only lie, but lie to profit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567869368800870400
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 11:38 AM   #6513
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They're arresting him because his podcast is too powerful.

Or so he says...
Old 09-08-2022, 11:42 AM   #6514
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

He looks so trustworthy, too...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #6515
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

More shirts = more trust
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #6516
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Tell me he brought his angry translator.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 08:13 PM   #6517
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nm.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #6518
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Latest poll numbers have the UCP ahead of the NDP by a slight advantage. Only in Alberta, folks. Embarrassing.
*checks thread title*

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 10:29 AM   #6519
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Well I am absolutely shocked to learn Bannon would not only lie, but lie to profit.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1567869368800870400
Reminds me, what happened to that guy who set up a go fund me to build the wall and they raised like 30 million bucks?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 10:41 AM   #6520
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Reminds me, what happened to that guy who set up a go fund me to build the wall and they raised like 30 million bucks?
He is probably living in some resort in Mexico.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote