Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #261
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Too much freezing from 10 for me. Reverted back to 7 and everything is fine again.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:57 PM   #262
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You do not need to install all over again. I did the same switch you did in Windows 7, all you need is to boot into recovery and install the ACHI drivers.

http://solotechpros.com/2014/03/27/i...after-install/

It booted properly after that. I'm sure the process will be similar in Windows 10
Good to know, thanks for the link! I'll just need to make sure I don't have any issues getting Windows 10 installed on the SSD before reformatting the old HDD.

EDIT: Looks like after Windows 8, MSAHCI was changed to StorAHCI, so something to keep in mind in the future.

Last edited by Mazrim; 08-23-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 PM   #263
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

So...hopefully my last question here about this. Everything seems to be running smoothly after the format, but my backup external hard drive is having all sorts of issues transferring files. It randomly disconnects every 10 seconds or so during a transfer which is very painful to constantly click through, and I worry it's going to mess up files.

I get the feelings it's related to the earlier IDE/AHCI issue, so I guess my question is...can I change that drive separately to AHCI, or is it something worse like the drive messing up? Thanks!

EDIT: I just transfered 5 GB from the external drive to my now formatted HDD with no problems. Is it possibly transferring to the SSD that's the issue?

EDIT2: Okay, just for record keeping...I can daisy chain the files from HDD to HDD then SDD with no problems... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Forget I asked!

Last edited by Mazrim; 08-23-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #264
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Too much freezing from 10 for me. Reverted back to 7 and everything is fine again.
I find windows 10 is quite horrible for any 5400 or 7200 spinner hard drives. Hybrids are barely passable, SSD is the only way to go without issues.

I believe it's due to all the processes in the background such as Cortana, Edge etc. I don't know what they are and how to disable them yet.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:39 AM   #265
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You do not need to install all over again. I did the same switch you did in Windows 7, all you need is to boot into recovery and install the ACHI drivers.

http://solotechpros.com/2014/03/27/i...after-install/

It booted properly after that. I'm sure the process will be similar in Windows 10
You can also just install this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976

then reboot, set AHCI mode and be good to go. If you want, you can then install your manufacturers AHCI drivers, or they might be found automatically.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #266
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Ditto... I did a fresh install of Windows 10 the other day on a new SSD drive and was getting BSOD's for a variety of reasons. Researched the issues and looked at the error dump files and it looked like driver conflicts, only I hadn't installed ANYTHING yet.

Reinstalled Windows 7 and no problems whatsoever.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM   #267
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like someone created a small app that can help you change a bunch of the privacy settings in a small simple package.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015...ws-10-spyware/

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but will be giving it a shot when I get home.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:58 AM   #268
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will be funny in 3 months when it turns out that simple package is riddled with spyware.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #269
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
It will be funny in 3 months when it turns out that simple package is riddled with spyware.
Ha! yeah, I can see something like that happening down the road

Not familiar with The Windows Club, and no idea how credible they are or what their track record is like. But maybe someone else can speak to that.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #270
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
We need a volunteer.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #271
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting really frustrated with Windows 10 right now. I can't seem to share files between my surface and computer. I've had computers for 20 years now and I can't get this going after an hour of trying. God damn it microsoft.

Keeps asking me for credentials that I haven't set and been tryign to disable passwords for so long. FFS
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #272
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished installing w10 with an OEM W7 key. Had to call in and the computer operator transferred me to a live operator. Make sure you tell them that you just installed a new hard drive in order to get help. Don't say you bought a oem key as they won't help you. They will tell you to call dell or whom ever.

I like it so far. It's been on my laptop for 3 weeks and I've have no issues except for the ps3 media server so far.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #273
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an odd problem. I have the reservation for windows ten, but when I begin the process, it just loops indefinitely before it gets to the main page even though it says that it should only take 10 seconds. I have re-set, updated everything etc. Not sure why it's doing that. Any idea what's wrong?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #274
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Here's an odd problem. I have the reservation for windows ten, but when I begin the process, it just loops indefinitely before it gets to the main page even though it says that it should only take 10 seconds. I have re-set, updated everything etc. Not sure why it's doing that. Any idea what's wrong?
Have you tried making a media flash drive and using that method? Weird thing that happens is it might start trying to install and fail, you're supposed to remove the flash drive and restart the computer.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #275
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I find windows 10 is quite horrible for any 5400 or 7200 spinner hard drives. Hybrids are barely passable, SSD is the only way to go without issues.

I believe it's due to all the processes in the background such as Cortana, Edge etc. I don't know what they are and how to disable them yet.
5 days of use since reformatting, and my hard drives are running smoothly under Windows 10. I'm wondering if the locking up issue is more related to something left over from upgrading?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:38 PM   #276
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
5 days of use since reformatting, and my hard drives are running smoothly under Windows 10. I'm wondering if the locking up issue is more related to something left over from upgrading?
I've already cleaned up the old crap from the windows 7 install and old programs etc. plus defragmented the drive. Windows 10 freezes when the resource usage is too high and it's doing that on occasion which windows 7 didn't do.

But part of my comment is probably hyperbole because my main computers are SSD, so going back to using a 5400 rpm would suck even under windows 7. I do believe though some start up processes like Edge being on all the time is the reason for excess resource usage.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #277
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've already cleaned up the old crap from the windows 7 install and old programs etc. plus defragmented the drive. Windows 10 freezes when the resource usage is too high and it's doing that on occasion which windows 7 didn't do.

But part of my comment is probably hyperbole because my main computers are SSD, so going back to using a 5400 rpm would suck even under windows 7. I do believe though some start up processes like Edge being on all the time is the reason for excess resource usage.
I noticed before reformatting and even after reformatting that my CPU usage is much more erratic after switching AHCI on my drives. I don't know if that is the nature of how AHCI access works, but my computer does not appear worse for wear because of it, and the drives seem to be acting normally. I don't think a defragment would make a difference in that case. More likely a drive checker of some sort might identify some bad sectors on your hard drive that need repairing though.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #278
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check in Task Manager under performance tab and select CPU. In the bottom section, see what it lists for "cores" and "logical processors" and make sure it matches what you should have. I've heard of one case where the upgrade caused Windows to revert to 1 core. If that is the case I can let you know how to fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #279
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Check in Task Manager under performance tab and select CPU. In the bottom section, see what it lists for "cores" and "logical processors" and make sure it matches what you should have. I've heard of one case where the upgrade caused Windows to revert to 1 core. If that is the case I can let you know how to fix it.
Can you actually mention what the fix is? This might be an issue I'm having with mine. I've noticed some random slowness/freezing moment when using it, and was actually wondering if this could be an issue. So seeing you mention that, is making me want to look into that as well.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #280
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

open an admin command prompt and run bcdedit

see if you have "onecpu true"

If you don't see it listed, it is not enabled. If you do see that line, enter this:
bcdedit /set onecpu false

and you probably need to reboot
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: