Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #981
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly haven't really kept up on EV models and what to look for. Obviously Tesla is the big one, but are any other companies offering something competitive range/quality/price wise?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #982
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Also have to consider does it matter if it takes that long to charge from 10% to 90%? If it's for city driving what's the average kms per day? 40? In that case you'll only care about 80% to 90% times.. and for the times when you do significant drain in a day stop at a fast charger. But if it's 200km a day then yeah it wouldn't work well.

Just have to weigh the benefits and downsides. Is the added complexity of a hybrid better or worse than the cost (if possible) of running 220V? Some people won't have the option so maybe the hybrid is still better.

My problem is we suited our walkout basement and my parents moved in. So between my stove and dryer and THEIR stove and dryer I think everything is maxed so I'd probably need to spend a decent amount to add a 220 line to the garage.

There are EV management systems that you could get. It’s essentially a kill switch that will disengage your car’s charger if the load inside the house becomes too great. It is an inexpensive way to be get charging capability while avoiding the panel upgrade if it is maxed out.

It is unlikely you’ll need to get a full charge immediately when you arrive home but your stove or dryer will get priority if you happen to be charging and someone uses a high load appliance.

After a day of driving and use, most people charge their car overnight. It is easier on the grid during off peak hours and with minimal planning I haven’t had material changes to appliance use and charging.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #983
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
There are EV management systems that you could get. It’s essentially a kill switch that will disengage your car’s charger if the load inside the house becomes too great. It is an inexpensive way to be get charging capability while avoiding the panel upgrade if it is maxed out.

It is unlikely you’ll need to get a full charge immediately when you arrive home but your stove or dryer will get priority if you happen to be charging and someone uses a high load appliance.

After a day of driving and use, most people charge their car overnight. It is easier on the grid during off peak hours and with minimal planning I haven’t had material changes to appliance use and charging.
Often you can set the charging time inside the car, so you plug it in when you get home, but it only starts charging overnight.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #984
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Pretty good list of current models available in https://ev.plugndrive.ca/vehicles
Old 03-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #985
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I honestly haven't really kept up on EV models and what to look for. Obviously Tesla is the big one, but are any other companies offering something competitive range/quality/price wise?
Hyundai/Kia have the Ioniq 5 / EV6, plus the Genesis GV60, plus electric versions of the Kona / Niro / Soul.

Ford's Mustang Mach-E is selling well and if I was buying today would be on my personal short list.

Volvo XC-40, Polestar 2, Mercedes EQS, Porche Tycan / Audo e-Tron as you move up the market.

BMW has some now too.

And there's a whole bunch more coming this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #986
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Also the VW Id.4,

Though I’m not sure if it’s for sale in Alberta. I believe it is in other provinces.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #987
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Jason Cammisa is the best car Youtuber, in my opinion. And he makes a great case to buy a Lucid Air over a Tesla.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 04:03 PM   #988
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

RIVN stock on its way to being toast.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #989
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
RIVN stock on its way to being toast.
Ooof. From $179 to $35.

I would have thought rising oil prices would give these a boost. After watching that video I was considering grabbing some Lucid shares. At it's current price of $24, it looks to have already taken it's hit from $55. Reading some analysts, this price sounds reasonable for it to have some growth.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #990
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ooof. From $179 to $35.

I would have thought rising oil prices would give these a boost. After watching that video I was considering grabbing some Lucid shares. At it's current price of $24, it looks to have already taken it's hit from $55. Reading some analysts, this price sounds reasonable for it to have some growth.
Rivian's guidance on how many vehicles they'll produce has dropped a lot. Plus while oil prices have gone up, many resources used to build batteries have also sky-rocketed. Just look at the price chart for lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper, aluminum.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2022, 04:27 PM   #991
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, that's a good point on material costs.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #992
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Rivian's guidance on how many vehicles they'll produce has dropped a lot. Plus while oil prices have gone up, many resources used to build batteries have also sky-rocketed. Just look at the price chart for lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper, aluminum.
They increased the purchase price by 20% and had to revert back to the original price when buyers revolted. Now shareholders are suing. It's not looking good for them.

https://insideevs.com/news/572182/ri...-price-swings/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:57 PM   #993
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ooof. From $179 to $35.
Shocking. $179 is vastly over valued but I don't think the stock deserves to drop over 5x.

edit - LCID is a good stock to short term trade it goes into the dumps then balloons for a day or 3 then drops again.

Last edited by zamler; 03-10-2022 at 05:00 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2022, 09:03 PM   #994
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

As someone who went the plug in hybrid route, I really wish I had gone full electric! Note that we also have a gas half ton for long hauls.

The plug in hybrid has been pretty good, but at the end of the day it's a half measure. I drive 35km of mostly Highway to work every day and if it's warmer than -10 I get 2.5L/100km. Can't go wrong with that, along with the fact that my work has their block heater plug ins on so I can charge my battery all day on their dime.

However below -10 I only get a little EV time and below -18 I get 0 EV time (unless I turn off the heat).

I know the RAV4 Prime has electric heat (I have the Santa Fe that doesn't) but I can't imagine the range would be worth anything in the cold with the heat pumping

Just my 2 cents!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:19 PM   #995
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Another win for Tesla

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-rec...af776625b15180

So Tesla purposefully programmed their cars to break traffic laws? What idiot signed off on that?
photon gave you a pretty good list. I personally drive a Hyundai Kona Electric with the Ultimate trim and I'm mostly happy with it, with a bit of a caveat that the seat ergonomics and keyless entry are a little underdeveloped. The Ioniq 5 looks like a very nice option and I probably would have got that if it were available.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 12:30 PM   #996
FLAME ENVY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
As someone who went the plug in hybrid route, I really wish I had gone full electric! Note that we also have a gas half ton for long hauls.

The plug in hybrid has been pretty good, but at the end of the day it's a half measure. I drive 35km of mostly Highway to work every day and if it's warmer than -10 I get 2.5L/100km. Can't go wrong with that, along with the fact that my work has their block heater plug ins on so I can charge my battery all day on their dime.

However below -10 I only get a little EV time and below -18 I get 0 EV time (unless I turn off the heat).

I know the RAV4 Prime has electric heat (I have the Santa Fe that doesn't) but I can't imagine the range would be worth anything in the cold with the heat pumping

Just my 2 cents!
I think PHEV's offer the best (current) compromise in our cold environment with current charging infrastructure. You have an ICE engine so you don't have to worry about charging up on longer trips. Your current commute is near perfect for a PHEV. EV's are even more compromised when it gets really cold, range gets completely neutered.
FLAME ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2022, 01:46 PM   #997
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I watched a few videos of long road trips with a few of the EVs I'd consider (Mach-E, Kia EV6/Ioniq 5), and I think usage type really comes into it.

The Mach-E video had a LOT of problems getting the chargers to work consistently, it was really buggy (the video was from 2021 and I think I've read they're at least aware of the issues if they haven't been resolved yet). Charging session would crash every 5 minutes, and the rate would go down arbitrarily (unplugging and replugging would get the rate back up again). Basically there's no way normal people could be expected to deal with the quirkiness and bugginess. Plus the Mach-E didn't seem to take elevation into account in its calculations, so the vehicle would alert that there's no charging stations in distance but then the vehicle would have 20% left by the time it got to the destination. The car doesn't show the charge rate so you have to go out to the station to see how fast you are charging.

The EV6 had more consistent charging but because there was no battery preconditioning the charge rates were consistently FAR lower than the platform is capable of because of the cold. EDIT: I think battery conditioning is now available to help the battery get to an ideal temperature for charging.

In both cases the drivers had used Teslas before and while they liked their respective cars they consistently mentioned how Tesla is still way ahead of other brands in terms of software, infrastructure, and usage experience.

For me personally my usage would mean almost none of these things would impact me, and I'm nerdy enough to deal with quirkiness. But I could definitely see how some people might get frustrated at that kind of experience and where a PHEV might be better for their use cases.
Old 03-13-2022, 05:13 PM   #998
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I watched a few videos of long road trips with a few of the EVs I'd consider (Mach-E, Kia EV6/Ioniq 5), and I think usage type really comes into it.

The Mach-E video had a LOT of problems getting the chargers to work consistently, it was really buggy (the video was from 2021 and I think I've read they're at least aware of the issues if they haven't been resolved yet). Charging session would crash every 5 minutes, and the rate would go down arbitrarily (unplugging and replugging would get the rate back up again). Basically there's no way normal people could be expected to deal with the quirkiness and bugginess. Plus the Mach-E didn't seem to take elevation into account in its calculations, so the vehicle would alert that there's no charging stations in distance but then the vehicle would have 20% left by the time it got to the destination. The car doesn't show the charge rate so you have to go out to the station to see how fast you are charging.

The EV6 had more consistent charging but because there was no battery preconditioning the charge rates were consistently FAR lower than the platform is capable of because of the cold. EDIT: I think battery conditioning is now available to help the battery get to an ideal temperature for charging.

In both cases the drivers had used Teslas before and while they liked their respective cars they consistently mentioned how Tesla is still way ahead of other brands in terms of software, infrastructure, and usage experience.

For me personally my usage would mean almost none of these things would impact me, and I'm nerdy enough to deal with quirkiness. But I could definitely see how some people might get frustrated at that kind of experience and where a PHEV might be better for their use cases.
This is why I'm waiting. I really want an EV but I don't like Teslas at all, and the rest are all first gen that will have issues. I'm buying a standard ICE later this year and I think in 5 years or so I'll look at trading it in for an EV when hopefully all the bugs are worked out
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #999
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post

Just my 2 cents!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
I think PHEV's offer the best (current) compromise in our cold environment with current charging infrastructure. You have an ICE engine so you don't have to worry about charging up on longer trips. Your current commute is near perfect for a PHEV. EV's are even more compromised when it gets really cold, range gets completely neutered.
I was thinking about this over the weekend and agree PHEV may not be a bad compromise for Calgary. One would need to look at historical weather data but on average how many days (and nights) are -10° or colder in Calgary in an average year? The amount of time actually driving in lower temperatures may be lower than you might think.

Even looking at Wikipedia weather averages for Calgary it shows 3 months of the year with average overnight lows below -10° and zero days with an average high less than -10°. Really bad statistical analysis of that ballparks out 90 nights and zero days where the commute would be below the -10° threshold. Out of 730 yearly trips (365 x 2), 640 would be warmer and 90 lower than this. Point being a city like Calgary likely still has the majority of driving time at relatively mild temperatures. Other prairie cities not so much.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #1000
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's say EV range is 400km, on a -30 days let's say you lose half the range. That's still 200km, which would be more than enough for a daily driver for people.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote