Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2022, 11:10 AM   #961
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Another win for Tesla

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-rec...af776625b15180

Quote:
Recall documents posted Tuesday by U.S. safety regulators say that Tesla will disable the feature with an over-the-internet software update. The “rolling stop” feature allows vehicles to go through intersections with all-way stop signs at up to 5.6 miles (9 kilometers) per hour.

The recall shows that Tesla programmed its vehicles to violate the law in most states, where police will ticket drivers for disregarding stop signs. The Governors Highway Safety Association, which represents state highway safety offices, said it is not aware of any states that allow rolling stops.
So Tesla purposefully programmed their cars to break traffic laws? What idiot signed off on that?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #962
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So Tesla purposefully programmed their cars to break traffic laws? What idiot signed off on that?
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #963
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
website advertisement lead me to a electric car brand I had not previously heard of:

https://www.fiskerinc.com/ocean
I saw a Fisker Karma in the parking lot at the Banff Springs golf course a few years ago. One of the wildest cars to see in person.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:14 AM   #964
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Another win for Tesla

https://apnews.com/article/tesla-rec...af776625b15180

Well we are talking about a company that put a yoke in a passenger vehicle not because it's better than a steering wheel (because it's vastly inferior) or an advancement in any way, but because it's cool. It's the issue with Tesla being more of a tech company than an automobile company. They are a little out of touch with what drivers want as well as a little loose when it comes to practicality and their self driving algorithms that still don't work as well without the radar sensors that they removed to cut costs. For example their V11 UI has become a disaster as they buried controls like seat heaters and windshield wiper controls behind sub menus that making it far too distracting. It's like they didn't even test it with regular drivers before releasing or maybe they just don't care because in their nerdy minds these are cool changes.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2022, 08:54 PM   #965
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Well we are talking about a company that put a yoke in a passenger vehicle not because it's better than a steering wheel (because it's vastly inferior) or an advancement in any way, but because it's cool. It's the issue with Tesla being more of a tech company than an automobile company. They are a little out of touch with what drivers want as well as a little loose when it comes to practicality and their self driving algorithms that still don't work as well without the radar sensors that they removed to cut costs. For example their V11 UI has become a disaster as they buried controls like seat heaters and windshield wiper controls behind sub menus that making it far too distracting. It's like they didn't even test it with regular drivers before releasing or maybe they just don't care because in their nerdy minds these are cool changes.
Imagine move fast and break things with literally human lives.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 01:11 PM   #966
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Imagine move fast and break things with literally human lives.
That's Tesla's problem in a nutshell. Traditional automakers have already learned the lessons about delivering a product like this, while purchasing a Tesla is basically like buying the automotive equivalent of nightly software builds. Cars you sell to the public are not a suitable canary.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #967
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So all you folks in the know, what should I be researching before my next car purchase? We will be looking at a hybrid, but I'm wondering why not go fully electric? It would be for city driving, as we have a truck for camping.

I really haven't paid attention to the fully electric options, what should I be looking for?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 11:03 PM   #968
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have somewhere with access to a 220v circuit for charging, like your garage? Can you get a 220v run to it if you don’t? Charging an EV over your standard 110v wall socket will take ~2 days to get to 90% from 10% remaining capacity.

That would be one of the bigger considerations if we were to buy one. I would need to pay a ton to have a 220v run to the garage, which for us means digging a new trench from the house to the garage and possibly opening up the drywall in the basement.

If you are going to split the load between multiple vehicles and don’t mind having the EV plugged in regularly, then no big deal.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:25 AM   #969
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Also have to consider does it matter if it takes that long to charge from 10% to 90%? If it's for city driving what's the average kms per day? 40? In that case you'll only care about 80% to 90% times.. and for the times when you do significant drain in a day stop at a fast charger. But if it's 200km a day then yeah it wouldn't work well.

Just have to weigh the benefits and downsides. Is the added complexity of a hybrid better or worse than the cost (if possible) of running 220V? Some people won't have the option so maybe the hybrid is still better.

My problem is we suited our walkout basement and my parents moved in. So between my stove and dryer and THEIR stove and dryer I think everything is maxed so I'd probably need to spend a decent amount to add a 220 line to the garage.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #970
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Wife and I are having the same conversation. Hybrid or EV was the goal, and reduce the vehicle count down to 1 (from 2). Going to supplement inner-city commuting with an e-bike most likely.

Now that said, with recent events - including high gas prices - we are thinking it might be a good time as any to perhaps consider an ICE vehicle. The reason for this is that some of the on-the-lot cars that might not move due to gas price pressure could be had for relatively huge discounts. We also don't have a 220V charger in the house for a full EV, so that would have be taken into consideration.

It's an interesting new twist on our next vehicle search, but one that actually might make sense since we don't drive a ton and still need to get to the cottage regularly.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #971
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Also have to consider does it matter if it takes that long to charge from 10% to 90%? If it's for city driving what's the average kms per day? 40? In that case you'll only care about 80% to 90% times.. and for the times when you do significant drain in a day stop at a fast charger. But if it's 200km a day then yeah it wouldn't work well.

Just have to weigh the benefits and downsides. Is the added complexity of a hybrid better or worse than the cost (if possible) of running 220V? Some people won't have the option so maybe the hybrid is still better.

My problem is we suited our walkout basement and my parents moved in. So between my stove and dryer and THEIR stove and dryer I think everything is maxed so I'd probably need to spend a decent amount to add a 220 line to the garage.
Do you have a 100 amp house panel, or higher?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #972
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Do you have a 100 amp house panel, or higher?
Not sure, when we suited the basement the electrician had to replace the main breaker and I think the line that comes into the house as part of the work they did but I can't recall exactly everything that was done.

I should have thought about having an electric car at that time.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #973
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I drove a chevy Bolt for 6 months, charged solely on level 1 charging in my garage. If you drive 60-80 km a day, it will very likely keep up on charging. If you drive more than that occasionally, the next day you might not have a full charge to start, but you will catch up as long as you aren’t doing longer drives every day.

I did experiment with level 2 chargers offered in various places, and even level 3 DC fast charging a couple times (only one time I actually needed to).

I wish I still had it. My current car does under 5L per 100km, but that’s still more expensive than EV.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #974
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure, when we suited the basement the electrician had to replace the main breaker and I think the line that comes into the house as part of the work they did but I can't recall exactly everything that was done.

If it was replaced somewhat recently, I would certainly think you would have at least 100A main breaker.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #975
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If that's the case, they may have gone more than 100A. Check the main breaker, it will be labeled.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:48 AM   #976
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Now that said, with recent events - including high gas prices - we are thinking it might be a good time as any to perhaps consider an ICE vehicle. The reason for this is that some of the on-the-lot cars that might not move due to gas price pressure could be had for relatively huge discounts.
Everyone seems to be saying it's the worst time in history to be buying a new car due to the shortages. High demand and low supply means dealerships are forcing buyers to take addons they don't want, charging a deposit to test drive (or not even allowing test drives), etc. Anything to get more $$. Though I'm sure that varies per model/brand/dealer I haven't heard anyone talking about huge discounts being offered.

Maybe if the price of gas stays this high for a while that may even out.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #977
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have an attached garage and unfinished basement, so that's likely one of the easier scenarios to wire a charger up. We also park downtown and the parkade offers charging so we could also use that. I'm not overly concerned about the charging since we would go downtown and back most days, then maybe some running around. So 50km total for work and back.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #978
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Not buying yet, will be patient. Happy to see how this plays out.

Also, until there are no cars for sale on a lot, I don't see the shortage problem. A car is a car and if it's on the lot and available then . . . . it's fair game. Price is a different story.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #979
photon

Exp:

Yeah I'll check my main breaker, though 120A seems to stick in my mind so maybe that's what they put in.
Old 03-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #980
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
We have an attached garage and unfinished basement, so that's likely one of the easier scenarios to wire a charger up. We also park downtown and the parkade offers charging so we could also use that. I'm not overly concerned about the charging since we would go downtown and back most days, then maybe some running around. So 50km total for work and back.
A place to charge at home, AND at work should make going to an EV a no brainer, IMO.

If you can charge at work, you almost certainly don’t need anything other than level 1 charging at home (regular 15A outlet)