Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #221
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Parking isn't an issue for the Olympics. You don't drive to any events. You have a dedicated security entry point at Tuscany train station where people are bussed in. Exactly what Vanoc did for the ski/snowboard and for Whistler.
Well, that makes a lot more sense than what I'm envisioning.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:17 AM   #222
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I believe the Corral has a date with the wrecking ball soon...no? I think I read somewhere it was no longer up to code and almost impossible to get it there without a huge expenditure, which would just mean building something new instead.
The timeline for the Corral is a little loose but yes, it does have a date with a wrecking ball eventually to make room for BMO expansion. This would be another thing that the city wouldn't mind trying to push some province and federal money for (do the same thing as Vancouver and push expanded convention centre space to be the International Media Centre).

That would be money that would then be freed up for other Vic Park projects.

Quote:
Either way, there has to be another arena (havent even included short track)
as doing the math in one venue would see an event (hockey/figure skating) every 5 hours or so if they go 24 hours a day...which of course they wont.
Yeah as much as the IOC says the Saddledome is acceptable, it's still limited by time.

There was no women's hockey in 1988, and Short Track was just a demonstration sport back then. Figure Skating and Short Track are big draw events on their own (and with the team event, there is more figure skating now as well).

But people are still operating under the assumption the city doesn't actually want a new arena, and isn't prepared to contribute to the construction of one. There would be two arenas for a 2026 bid. I know the Flames want the Saddledome demolished when a new arena is built, but the 'Dome would stay, and it would benefit the city if they could then work the demolition/decommissioning costs into a bid budget, rather than their calculations of a new arena budget. Similarly, it is good for the city the IOC isn't demanding a new arena for a bid, as it helps the city's position. But I think people are being really delusional if they think there wouldn't be two arenas planned as part of a bid plan.

So hockey would be at the new arena, even though people don't think there would be one. And Figure Skating and Short Track would be at the Saddledome.

Last edited by Roughneck; 03-22-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #223
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
It just really bothers me that people don’t see through his crap, and see him for what he is. It has nothing to do with his politics, as I actually agree with a lot of them. It has to do with his complete lack of professionalism and smarmy “I’m the smartest guy in the room.” Crap.

He’s like Trump in a lot of ways, with the narcissistic behaviour, and demeaning of people
, but at least he doesn’t have crazy nutjob policies. I’ll give him that.

Put it this way, and I’m sure he’d say the same of me. He’s the last guy in the world I’d want to have a beer with, and seems like the type of guy you wouldn’t want on your team in a out of control beer league game or with you in a rough neighbourhood. I just find him very disingenuous and seems like the guy that would throw anyone under the bus to get a promotion or rat out a coworker to get ahead.

Also let’s not forget, he’s been caught lying and pumping his own on at least one instance. I just don’t like the person.
The problem with Trump is he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, but is a complete r-tard. Nenshi often is the smartest guy in the room. I'm sure dealing with people dumber than you all the time can be exhausting. I've also found that you have to bulldoze over dumb people and naysayers to get anything done. I think that's his approach, too. It's not very endearing, but it's necessary to keep things moving along and to avoid getting bogged down by do-nothings.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #224
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
The sticker shock is high.

But the number needs to be broken down:
  • How much revenue?
  • How much provincial $?
  • How much federal $? (would be nice to get more of our own tax $ back in our community)
  • How much for infrastructure that would be attributed to the games, but would be needed without the games?
  • How much for one time operating (security) versus long-lasting infrastructure?

That will be the most important aspect of understanding whether we should go for this or not.
Then you also ask:

How much revenue $ comes in Post-Olympics?

In 2028 Calgary hosts the IBSF World Championships
In 2029 Calgary hosts the ISU World Single Distance Championships (followed by the World Sprints and World Allrounds in the following years)
In 2030 Canmore hosts the IBU World Biathlon championships followed by the 2031 Nordic World Ski Championship
In 2031 Calgary hosts the ISU World Figure Skating Championships

in the newer, modern facilities.

And assuming there's a Fieldhouse:
Calgary hosts the 2027 IAAF World Indoor Championship, the 2028 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships etc etc.

Not to mention the big conferences etc that can be held in such a space.

we can go on and on.
The Following User Says Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #225
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Then you also ask:

In 2029 Calgary hosts the ISU World Single Distance Championships (followed by the World Sprints and World Allrounds in the following years)
In 2030 Canmore hosts the IBU World Biathlon championships followed by the 2031 Nordic World Ski Championship

Calgary hosts the 2027 IAAF World Indoor Championship, the 2028 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships etc etc.

we can go on and on.
Are these all guaranteed awards though?

There have been enough winter Olympic games held that we can look at all the other cases and compare the cash output to real revenue generation. Olympic projects have a long history of going well over budget, can real numbers be shown that offset these overruns?

The argument that it generates some short term construction projects, an "image boost" and two weeks of revenue from the games themselves is relatively meaningless. What counts is the long term impact on the economy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #226
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

perhaps all of these new facilities could be built u in one area, say somewhere near 72 ave and 52 street and we could call the area the championship district?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 AM   #227
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post

They've built Olympic spec halfpipes there for years.
Shaun White has used it for training and raved about it.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ning-1.3395553
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to craigwd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #228
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwd View Post
Then you also ask:

we can go on and on.
So why not skip the Olympics and just build the infrastructure. From the Vancouver numbers it appears that the 1 billion in federal security money plus unneeded infrastructure like the ski jump (150 million) is just wasted on the two week party. So you pay an extra 25% for the infrastructure.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #229
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

No kidding. Let some other suckers pay for the Olympics and we'll enjoy them from afar.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #230
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2026 Balzac Winter Olympics
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #231
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
The 2026 Balzac Winter Olympics
I dated a girl briefly that had claimed the title of Miss Nude Balzac.

I still to this day doubt that's an actual thing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #232
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Doubtful yes... but might be worth investigating.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #233
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe you misheard “Balzac” as something else...
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Dude no!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:16 PM   #235
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
The timeline for the Corral is a little loose but yes, it does have a date with a wrecking ball eventually to make room for BMO expansion. This would be another thing that the city wouldn't mind trying to push some province and federal money for (do the same thing as Vancouver and push expanded convention centre space to be the International Media Centre).

That would be money that would then be freed up for other Vic Park projects.
In the bid exploration report, the corral was envisioned as the 2nd hockey venue. But they recognized that the corral is on its last legs and would require about $19M to bring it up to shape for the Olympics, before it would be demolished right after.

Considering how much money would be required something that's gonna be torn down right away, I would consider investing that money into the twin arenas that would be built along with the fieldhouse, and do it there instead. It would be a venue that's located within an olympic cluster, so it should be ideal.

Also furthur look in the report indicated they were expecting a capacity of 9000 for the fieldhouse curling venue.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #236
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pics?
Old 03-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #237
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
In the bid exploration report, the corral was envisioned as the 2nd hockey venue. But they recognized that the corral is on its last legs and would require about $19M to bring it up to shape for the Olympics, before it would be demolished right after.

Considering how much money would be required something that's gonna be torn down right away, I would consider investing that money into the twin arenas that would be built along with the fieldhouse, and do it there instead. It would be a venue that's located within an olympic cluster, so it should be ideal.

Also furthur look in the report indicated they were expecting a capacity of 9000 for the fieldhouse curling venue.
That makes way more sense.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #238
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Honestly with how desperate the IOC are going to be to find a host in NA for the Olympics, I think they should be bidding to us, not the other way around.

If they want to continue to hold the Olympics in 3rd rate countries with oppressive regimes and corrupt governments, go right ahead.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Calgary bids with anything less than a proposal that bends the IOC over, not the other way around, as is typically the case.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 03:26 PM   #239
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Honestly with how desperate the IOC are going to be to find a host in NA for the Olympics, I think they should be bidding to us, not the other way around.

If they want to continue to hold the Olympics in 3rd rate countries with oppressive regimes and corrupt governments, go right ahead.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Calgary bids with anything less than a proposal that bends the IOC over, not the other way around, as is typically the case.
They should be getting us the whores.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #240
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, I'll be honest. I'm totally clear of mind in regards to the arena scam when it comes to CSEC, but as long as it's not a total financial disaster, I'm willing to fudge the numbers for the Olympics. Definite hypocrisy, but I'm a big Olympic guy. My first memory of Calgary was of watching the 88 Olympics from Europe as a child, and I've been hooked ever since.
Closed Thread