Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #21
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

May or may not be suspicious but another Russian exile has been found dead at his home in London - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...is-london-home
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #22
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would like to hear Rifleman's thoughts on this, but you gotta wonder if Russian citizens are starting to fear reprisals from Emperor Putintine and the FSB.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #23
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn't Russia do this when May was the Home Secretary? There was no response then which could lead to them thinking they can get away with whatever they like in the UK. The UK government has it's priorities crooked.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what a realistic domestic intelligence response can be to all of this? Counter assassination of known Russian intelligence assets?

There has to be something that be done at least domestically to the rampant assassinations that happen in Western soil by Russian spies. Although I don't think potential Russian turncoat spies will be too cooperative with Western intelligence agencies as of late given how many of their comrades of died as of late. If Russia has broken the rules and started assassinations now, should the West not respond in kind just so Putin knows there are real consequences for this?

Though I guess there are huge problems in that kind of response, especially since there will likely be no US backing under Trump.

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-13-2018 at 11:59 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Putin's election campaign. Gotta look tough for the locals. Killing off some traitors is always good for his image.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:57 AM   #26
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone please can someone please find that thread where people talked about how the US was just as bad as Russia.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:39 PM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I wonder what a realistic domestic intelligence response can be to all of this? Counter assassination of known Russian intelligence assets?

There has to be something that be done at least domestically to the rampant assassinations that happen in Western soil by Russian spies. Although I don't think potential Russian turncoat spies will be too cooperative with Western intelligence agencies as of late given how many of their comrades of died as of late. If Russia has broken the rules and started assassinations now, should the West not respond in kind just so Putin knows there are real consequences for this?

Though I guess there are huge problems in that kind of response, especially since there will likely be no US backing under Trump.
While the Russian's might train assassins and killers, or maybe contract it out. Western Intelligence agencies are really configured for that. They're built around intelligence gathering, and that's about it.

There's not really a James Bond out there that can shoot the wings off of a flea, disarms bombs, and kill evil agents while drinking a martini.

Plus because of how the law works, if Putin gets caught, he doesn't care. If a Western Power gets caught fighting a illegal black war in a major country, their government will fall, they'll be massive exposure.

the only way to actually punish the Russian's would be to break a spy ring, or apprehend the assassin and embarrass the Russians.

The other way is with sanctions or some kind of economic or diplomatic response. reduce the size of their embassy staff, expel a member or multiple members of their mission. Call back their own staff for "Consultations"

Write a strongly worded note.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 PM   #28
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way a US or UK government would fall just because they get caught killing spies in other countries. In the US they'd probably get a bump in popularity.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

In the States required congressional oversight would probably say differently. because the only way they would pull this off is if the CIA got sign off from the President for example and he would have to inform the Intelligence Committee. Otherwise it would be an illegal operation and yes, then the president could be impeached.

I'm not sure how British law works in this case, but there are rules in terms of black ops.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #30
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
In the States required congressional oversight would probably say differently. because the only way they would pull this off is if the CIA got sign off from the President for example and he would have to inform the Intelligence Committee. Otherwise it would be an illegal operation and yes, then the president could be impeached.

I'm not sure how British law works in this case, but there are rules in terms of black ops.
And why wouldn't those black ops be approved?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #31
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Freeze the assets of Russian billionaires in the UK. No football team for you!
Old 03-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #32
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's Putin's election campaign. Gotta look tough for the locals. Killing off some traitors is always good for his image.
This is, IMO, more about letting people know that there is no escape. You defect, or squeal, you can and will be found.

Essentially he is letting everyone and anyone know that turning on Mother Russia is a death sentence.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 02:23 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
And why wouldn't those black ops be approved?
Because its a waste of assets.

Its basically murder, and illegal unless there's a presidential finding.

Who do you use, there's a real shortage of trained CIA assassins.

It threatens to blow up a black war.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #34
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putin's response to Theresa May's demand for answers for another assassination. There already is a black war going on. The US is already fighting blind with one arm tied behind it's back because of Orange in chief, should the UK? MI6 has to start using whatever assets they have at their disposal for a strong response otherwise more assassinations will happen with impunity against eventually non-Russian targets.

At the very least the capture and/or elimination of all known Russian operatives and the UK expelling Russian embassy staff has to be an option so as to not give any diplomatic cover for Russian operatives.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:50 PM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Putin's response to Theresa May's demand for answers for another assassination. There already is a black war going on. The US is already fighting blind with one arm tied behind it's back because of Orange in chief, should the UK? MI6 has to start using whatever assets they have at their disposal for a strong response otherwise more assassinations will happen with impunity against eventually non-Russian targets.

At the very least the capture and/or elimination of all known Russian operatives and the UK expelling Russian embassy staff has to be an option so as to not give any diplomatic cover for Russian operatives.

The last two are you're options, however the first one is more about good police work then hit squads.

The strongest move that the UK could make would be to close the Russian Embassy, which I think used to be called the Church of the Divine Lady of Microvaves because it had so many antennae on it that you could fry an egg on a window sill next store.

If the US and Britain all shut down the Russian Embassies and expelled the staff and suspend relations with Moscow except through a neutral party, it would send a strong message.

Old 03-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A stronger message would be to send 007 to take out Putin.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:31 PM   #37
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Was Mr. Skripal in London late 2006?

Just asking
At that time, he was in a Russian prison after being found out that he was a double-agent.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:01 AM   #38
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
This is, IMO, more about letting people know that there is no escape. You defect, or squeal, you can and will be found.

Essentially he is letting everyone and anyone know that turning on Mother Russia is a death sentence.
As I understand it:

Ostensibly, once a spy's been traded, they're retired, off the board, and out of the game, but their safety is guaranteed.

If Britain were to reciprocate, and kill the agents the US returned to Russia, the flipside of this would be that if you turn on Russia, you die, but if you get caught spying for Russia, you die.

If Britain doesn't reciprocate, then Russia will succeed in creating asymmetry, and that's very bad news for Britain.

Fortunately, Britain, and the West have a reasonably effective out, despite having to stay palatable to their citizens. They can stop swapping spies with Russia (and they must, if Russia has ceased to uphold its safety guarantees) and increase economic sanctions as the balance of the punishment.

Of course, to be successful, the USA will have to ensure that its president isn't a Russian agent first.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #39
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its basically murder, and illegal unless there's a presidential finding.

Who do you use, there's a real shortage of trained CIA assassins.
Since when has that stopped the Brits and Americans before and why would they even use their own assassins when they can run and sanction their own killers at a distance?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #40
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
ensure that its president isn't a Russian agent first.
Agent is a gross exaggeration of his capabilities.