Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM   #121
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I think he's forced because of the menial nature of his job. The way he just so happened to be there to overhear Sauls predicament and how he bailed him out. He should have been one of the cops, that would have been better. But still, it's a minor complaint. Love the show so far.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #122
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
I think he's forced because of the menial nature of his job. The way he just so happened to be there to overhear Sauls predicament and how he bailed him out. He should have been one of the cops, that would have been better. But still, it's a minor complaint. Love the show so far.
Totally understand, but in Breaking Bad it was implied that he had been displaced as a cop, through something possibly outside of his control, that relegated him to something below his skills and intuition. The parking attendant in Albuquerque fits that bill, and his conflict with a totally diametric personality in Jimmy is completely believable. I'm assuming the detectives are aware of Mike's history, appeal to his sense of justice, and try to use him to to apply pressure to Jimmy who they think is protecting a guilty client.

The fact that he sees through to the truth in an entirely practical way speaks to his character. His conflict with Jimmy doesn't interfere with his rationale, and he draws on his experience and training when listening to Jimmy's story.

At first, it seemed convenient for Mike to completely reverse his decision to press charges and be amicable with Jimmy in the stairwell. Yet, when you look back on the character and extrapolate an identity it actually fits quite well. Mike is, quite frankly, a logical pragmatist in every way outside of matters that involve his grand-daughter.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 PM   #123
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if they are planning at all to flash forward back to present times, just to see how things are playing out in modern times.

Like others have said, show is excellent so far. Not sure where this is going with Saul's brother. Kind of draws parallels to some of the odd story lines in BB, like Hank collecting minerals or Marie's shoplifting.

Does anybody find Tuco is eerily similar in appearance to GW Bailey?

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 07:15 AM   #124
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are people still watching this? I don't mind it but I wonder if it would have been better as a 30 minute show as they don't really have enough compelling stuff going on per episode to fill a 60 minute slot.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:27 AM   #125
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Are people still watching this? I don't mind it but I wonder if it would have been better as a 30 minute show as they don't really have enough compelling stuff going on per episode to fill a 60 minute slot.
I am watching it and enjoying it. I don't mind the pace at all. It seems to be slowly building up to something and I'm looking forward to seeing where it will go.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #126
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Strange, I emitted a rather audible "F###, really?" when the credits rolled.

I'm still really enjoying it, and things are already starting to build towards something in an interesting way.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #127
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure how much longer I am going to stick with it? not doing much for me. I watched E1 and half of 2 of 12monkeys last night and felt I got way more value for my money.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 AM   #128
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Wow I'm hooked already, slow first 2 episodes but I love the show so far, great potential.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #129
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I'm really liking it, but not sure if I would like it as much if I never saw Breaking Bad.

The fourth episode was definitely the best so far and had the most humour. The cold open was great. Feels like it has found it's legs now. I will admit I was a teensie bit disappointed with the first three. I also felt it was a bit of a cop out to include Tuco. Why couldn't it just have been a new criminal? Felt gimmicky.

Love the exchanges between Saul and Mike. And yeah, the pressing charges/not pressing charges scene felt completely believable and organic to me. Mike's also a no-nonsense guy. I could believe him going from wanting to teach Saul a lesson, to realizing he's being used by the cops and not wanting part of that, seeing Saul was the lesser of two evils. And has been mentioned, he was previously a cop, he would understand the strong arm tactics they were using and might have reasons why he wouldn't want to be a part of that. a sort of disdain for police tactics like that.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:43 AM   #130
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm hooked in deep, same feeling of seeing the credits and feeling let down that the episode was over.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #131
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

S'all good, man.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #132
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

I'm really liking it. Mostly because of how well the story line is interwoven and how unique it is. Its nice how it doesn't just straight up explain things explicitly but it gives answers if you pay attention.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #133
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those that aren't liking it so far - maybe you were expecting Breaking Bad part 2?

This was never supposed to be another Breaking Bad. Its been exactly what I was expecting, which is a very clever, darkly funny, well written and impeccably filmed show with a fantastic lead character.

Can't wait to see where it goes. No issues with the slower start. What's the rush?
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 PM   #134
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like it but a lot of people I have talked to are finding it boring and seeing this thread hadn't been bumped for a while I was wondering if I was one of the few still liking it. I like how they have been starting episodes with flashback scenes to add to the hour but IMO it's a little on the long side for a show focused solely on one character as last episode I found dragged a little at the end. I'm hoping Mike becomes a bigger part of the show as he's a good character.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #135
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Those that aren't liking it so far - maybe you were expecting Breaking Bad part 2?
I never seen BB, unfortunately and it is not on Shomi.

To me, this show is just a humorous look at the mishaps of a down on his luck lawyer, surrounded by colorful characters, right down to the somewhat attractive, smart, funny female character he is in a complicated relationship with.

Last edited by DuffMan; 02-25-2015 at 01:48 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #136
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
S'all good, man.
That never occurred to me until it was mentioned...

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #137
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

On it's own I think it's good. As a sequel to Breaking Bad it's kind of goofy so far. Probably comes down to what you expected, I was expecting nothing as sequel/prequel spin-offs are nearly always terrible.

With those expectations I've enjoyed it a lot, the show really really centres around Saul which for many will not be a good thing.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #138
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if people who aren't getting into Better Call Saul are also fans of Walter White in Breaking Bad?

On the surface there are a lot of similarities to the first few episodes of each.

Walt is in need of money. After trying for years to do things 'the right way', he eventually sucumbs to doing things the wrong way, and the show then follows his dark descent into his own character.

Jimmy is in need of money. After trying for years to do things 'the right way' he eventually sucumbs to doing things the wrong way, and the show is starting to follow his descent.

The problem is, for viewers who 'like' Walter White, see him as an anti-hero or even as a hero, there is the ability to identify with his agency; Walt changes things, he makes decisions that alter the course of his life.

Jimmy, on the other hand, is now reacting to decisions to try to save his ass. There's no grand scheme here, no megalomaniac to be unleashed, just a down on his luck shyster/con trying to do good but failing to do well.

It's like if Walter White had stayed Walter White, some hapless highschool chemistry teacher, who made it out alive by the skin of his teeth almost by accident.

For me, Walt was always a despicable character, so it's refreshing watching Jimmy bumble his way through this world because inherently, he's not such a bad guy.

Duffman kind of represents this; hasn't seen Breaking Bad, enjoys watching some down on his luck lawyer scramble together a life.

People that are waiting or watching for Saul to become a criminal law mastermind deeply entrenched in the ABQ criminal underworld are probably going to be disappointed.

Similar pretense as Breaking Bad but a much different show.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:41 AM   #139
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Excellent observations FW. Agreed. Those of us who watched Breaking Bad know who Saul becomes. He is simply becoming that person. He's never going to be this amazing mastermind lawyer. It is great though to see what happens to him along the way and how he became who he became. Loving the show so far. Extremely stylish, clever and dark.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #140
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been watching the show and loving it thus far. The dude who wears the "space blanket" still confuses me though
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman