Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #1
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default I need a new TV series to get into (old or new) v2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
13 Reasons Why is such a frustrating watch.
I thought the second season was pretty good actually. Which surprised me, especially since at times I thought it jumped the shark, but it quickly redeemed itself.

I can see that being frustrating. I think the issue I had with it was that its a show that really takes itself very seriously, and it has to considering it's subject matter, at times that works well and at times that is eye-rolling-ridiculous.

But I've dealt with bullying at a lot of levels, but never suicide, but I know someone who was bullied relentlessly in high school and she cant watch that show. She considers it too emotionally 'on point' and as such I give it a lot of consideration because if someone who was bullied feels that way then maybe this show is hitting close to the mark.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad the second season was good, because this first one is trying me. Very slow, and the acting isn't great. The Tony character makes me cringe.

I'm just failing to see what the point of all these damn tapes is. Such a meandering storyline.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
I'm glad the second season was good, because this first one is trying me. Very slow, and the acting isn't great. The Tony character makes me cringe.

I'm just failing to see what the point of all these damn tapes is. Such a meandering storyline.
They're her Suicide note.

Instead of 'woe is me' shes trying to show people all of the things that they willfully and purposely ignore during their daily lives so that they arent bothered.

That it wasnt one person's fault. It was a collective effort. And if someone feels the entire world is against them, guess what looks like an attractive option?

Anyways, it is a hard show, and its not always great, but we stuck with it and even when it lags or goes off the rails (and it does) there is still meaning there and a real perspective that is difficult to obtain.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

The second season of Luke Cage was the best Netflix Marvel series yet IMO. That was excellent.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
The second season of Luke Cage was the best Netflix Marvel series yet IMO. That was excellent.
Better than The Punisher?
Tall order, friend.
I guess I better finally get at that first season then!
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Better than The Punisher?
Tall order, friend.
I guess I better finally get at that first season then!
The first season of Luke Cage was mediocre. Meandered and didn’t know what it wanted to do. I honestly had forgotten about Punisher but I’d still say yeah, I liked this second Luke Cage best out of all the marvel series. Maybe it’s because it was what I wanted the first go round to be.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started watching: All of Nothing: Arizona Cardinals on Amazon Prime last night. Pretty good show so far.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I've been watching Braindead. I guess it was cancelled but it isn`t a bad show.

Kind of an 80s alien body snatcher premise but set around modern Washington.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I started watching Suits. To call it a guilty pleasure would be an understatement. This may be the stupidest, most outlandish and unrealistic show I've ever watched. But I enjoy it and can't stop watching.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've started watching two new shows
Narcos - I'm late to the game I know
The Toys that Made Us - what a great series of documentaries. For anyone that grew up in the 80s this is just fantastic.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been trying to avoid that Toys That Made Us show because I don't wanna get hit by a nostalgia tsunami.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:29 AM   #12
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Narcos might be my favourite Netflix show of the last couple years. It manages to be dramatic and intense without being outlandish and dumbed-down.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I started watching Suits. To call it a guilty pleasure would be an understatement. This may be the stupidest, most outlandish and unrealistic show I've ever watched. But I enjoy it and can't stop watching.
My wife and I got hooked on Suits for a while. Just a great, fun show to watch.

Wildly unrealistic, but fun.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone watch the premiere of Sharp Objects on HBO last night?
We will catch up with it tonight or tomorrow. Really looking forward to this
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #15
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The beginning of the end for HBO. #### you AT&T.

https://gizmodo.com/at-ts-big-plan-f...m-t-1827449321
Old 07-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I had totally given up on these shows after Defenders, Iron Fist and to an extent season 1 of Luke Cage.

Your recommendation has my curiosity piqued but still wavering. There is so much good TV now.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #17
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The beginning of the end for HBO. #### you AT&T.

https://gizmodo.com/at-ts-big-plan-f...m-t-1827449321
HBO is a dinosaur. "They stick with what works"... uhh, no, they stick with a ####ing terrible delivery method and so everyone pirates their shows.

If any network needs a kick in the ass to wake up to the new reality, it's HBO.

How long did it take them to get HBO Go going? 6-7 years behind the curve?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
HBO is a dinosaur. "They stick with what works"... uhh, no, they stick with a ####ing terrible delivery method and so everyone pirates their shows.

I actually 100% disagree. When HBO Go launched, it was about 2 years ahead of the curve I'd say. They had a super successful and profitable arrangement with cable companies, but they were smart enough to see the respective trends of cable TV and Netflix and took the initiative to build a completely standalone delivery system so they could sell directly to the consumer. Not many businesses have the guts to make such a pivot. I think the market would eventually have forced their hand, but I give HBO props for having some foresight.

When one can pay $15/month for all HBO content and watch on-demand on any device with no commercials, there is no justification to pirate the content.

Now, in Canada, of course its a different story. Bell owns the rights to HBO content (rumoured until 2020, and who knows, they might strike a new deal). Bell did not follow HBO's lead and make the content available standalone. They are the dinosaurs refusing to meet the consumer demands. They have at least started making 1+ year old HBO content available standalone via CraveTV, but this isn't enough to satisfy the consumer demands for a popular 'watercooler' show like Game of Thrones. Under this model, it is no surprise if piracy is rampant.

As for the future of HBO content, I agree with the article. HBO is a sign of quality. Netflix originals were novel for the first year or two, but now it's often the sign of content that couldn't find a buyer anywhere else. Is it worth diluting the HBO brand just to get people to watch for more hours? Can't we just have Netflix for filler, and HBO for the must-see stuff? As it stands, I'd be happy to pay more for 2 hours of quality HBO content than 6 hours of hit-and-miss Netflix content.

But about Netflix content...I just love GLOW. Binged through season 2 too quickly, and now I'm going back to enjoy season 1 again. Marc Maron is particularly good this season, Betty Gilpin is solid, and Alison Brie is one of the best actresses working today.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

That article had absolutely nothing to do with their delivery method. AT&T in no way plans to make HBO an online platform like Netflix.

The article is about how they choose their shows and produce them. HBO is carefully curated and they tend not to just greenlight every piece of #### that comes their way and hope it sticks, which is exactly what Netflix does.
It also points out that HBO is hugely profitable and Netflix and other streaming services are not. AT&T wants HBO to be a crappy network pumping out high volume of low quality garbage so that they can use the data they gather to monetize their customers in other ways. AT&T doesn't care at all about making good shows. They care about harvesting HBO viewers to sell them other crap.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-10-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #20
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Toys that Made Us - what a great series of documentaries. For anyone that grew up in the 80s this is just fantastic.
My boy wants to watch that, is it appropriate for a 12 yr old?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote