Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #1
Grunt
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default CBV Collections / possible scam

Last week I received a number of phone calls from the same number in BC. Most times when I answer there is no one on the other end. Two times I answered and its from a person telling me they are from 'Budget Traffic Tickets' and have an important message for me. They then ask me for my DOB (which I wouldn't give) and refuse to give me any additional information. It felt really sketchy, so I just hung up.

This week my wife gets a call from CBV Collections looking for me. I call them back and they are looking for personal info to verify who I am. I give them the bare minimum - including my old address, which is what they have on file. They say I owe ~$250 for a Budget Traffic ticket. They have no agreement/contract # for me from Budget, no exact date (just 'August 2015').

I call Budget and they are beyond useless. They send me to this website: www.budgetrentalfine.com. I put my info in, and there's nothing. They have no info on file about this, but say that it doesn't mean for certain that I didn't receive a ticket (because their system is terrible). One agent said that they would definitely charge my CC if I had a ticket. Another says 'maybe not'.

As best I can remember, I haven't rented a car from Budget since January 2014.

A quick search in google for "CBV Collections" or "CBV Collections scam" makes me even more skeptical. I still can't tell if this is a legitimate business.

My feeling is that this is all BS, but at the same time, I don't want to find out that it is somehow real and I have an outstanding bill that is going to affect my credit.

What do you guys think?
Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Scam. Tell them to send you details or F off
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 07:26 PM   #3
ericschand
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmmm, interesting. And from a link in there, we see this.

Is it legit? Could be.

However, I would first ask your credit card company and warn them about charges, that you don't want them, nor do you accept them.

Next time you get a phone call from these people, ask to see the actual bill. The details. Not just a text file saying the Prince of Nigeria requires you to pay, not something in an email chain, an actual proof of money owed. Ask for a picture of the violation. Have them send it registered mail. And tell them until they provide that they must stop calling you.

Do not provide them with an email address, everything through Canada Post mail or courier.

Although on the site it says that you can dispute the charge by offering proof, that's just bogus. It's up to them to provide proof that you owe money. If you're skeptical, how about that $450 you owe me? I'll sue if I don't get it.

If they do charge your credit card which was supplied by the rental company, dispute it immediately.

If somehow this turns out to be real, make sure you get in writing that the dispute is resolved and that it won't be on your credit reports. And if they can't agree to that, why pay?

ers
ericschand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericschand For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Last week I received a number of
What do you guys think?
What was the number just out of curiousity?
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #5
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've been getting similar calls. I was receiving several calls a day from a number I don't know from BC. I wouldn't answer and they never left a voicemail. When I googled the number I got the same "CBV collections". I blocked the number and got on with my life.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #6
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
What was the number just out of curiousity?
The one calling me was 604-296-6795
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was getting calls from them last year. No voicemails ever left. Finally answered one time, they refused to send proof of any debt owed so I blocked the number.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #8
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
Last week I received a number of phone calls from the same number in BC. Most times ....

What do you guys think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
I've been getting similar calls. I was receiving several calls a day from a number I don't know from BC.... I blocked the number and got on with my life.
i was just trying to reach out to CP brethren!

hmmmm.... it sounds sketchy Grunt

i had a 'similar' kinda thing happen a number of years ago. a collection agency was trying to get a hold of me. they ended up calling my relatives and everything. eventually we found out that a guy with the same name as me living in west kelowna (i live in kelowna) had a business go under and he owed some folks some money. i guess they googled his name and found me.

but as previously mentioned, demand proof and have it mailed. i had another thing happen a couple years back where 'revenue canada' called me (at least that is what the call display showed) and they wanted a bunch of my info for something. i told them to politely go pound sand and that all my dealings with cra are thru the mail and if they mail me the forms i'd be happy to fill out all info needed. then they hung up on me.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had an annoying relative that moved out of the country, but left my address and phone # as contact info. Along with all his unwanted mail, I got a bunch of calls from what turned out to be CBV collections about owed money. ( I think cell phone, Rogers) The phone call started out with a Westjet like recording and then they put me on hold (?) Internet say they won't ever stop, so I just blocked the number.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never ever trust collection agencies calling. Almost everyone is either a scam or they have bought up an old debt (sometimes that has already been paid), stack a bunch of interest on it and then try to collect. There needs to be better legislation against them because in actuality what they are doing is criminal the majority of the time.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Also be aware of the statute of limitations on debt collection.

On a basic claim of liability, it states that a debt is good for two years “after the date on which the claimant first knew, or in circumstances ought to have known” of the amount owed. This allows two years for legal action.

There is also an absolute limit for a debt of “10 years after the claim arose”, negating a judgment after ten years if not enforced.

As with other provinces, the date of limitation can be “reset” by a payment or acknowledgement of the debt.

Basically they have two years to start collection of the debt. Often they will do things to try to get you to acknowledge the debt. Ask you to show proof of identity, partial payment, etc. I also know of an instance where they offered to lowered the amount owed by 60% upon proof of a failed loan application to pay off the debt.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #12
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bump.

The fraudsters have tried to come after me. They now call themselves Aflow or Afglow and claim they are calling on behalf of a large bank. They leave a case number and when I called back they wanted my DOB. I told them no way, I was calling the large bank to verify first. They then proceeded to give me a 1-800 for the bank they said I can call (I called and it actually said welcome to that bank. Wow!) but did not answer when a person picked up there.

So I ended up going into the bank in question and asking. They told me this is a full on scam and to not return calls. I feel like a bit of an idiot for even talking to them, but man they are slick. I expect the Indian caller with poor English, but these guys are professional. Even had me guessing a bit.

Anyways, if someone calls you like this do not return the call. It is fraud. The one called me from 1-866-350-1388. A quick google search shows these guys are fraud and operate in Canada, and they go back years. How on earth have the RCMP not shut them down?

Last edited by OldDutch; 06-28-2016 at 03:13 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Bump.

The fraudsters have tried to come after me. They now call themselves Aflow or Afglow and claim they are calling on behalf of a large bank. They leave a case number and when I called back they wanted my DOB. I told them no way, I was calling the large bank to verify first. They then proceeded to give me a 1-800 for the bank they said I can call (I called and it actually said welcome to that bank. Wow!) but did not answer when a person picked up there.

So I ended up going into the bank in question and asking. They told me this is a full on scam and to not return calls. I feel like a bit of an idiot for even talking to them, but man they are slick. I expect the Indian caller with poor English, but these guys are professional. Even had me guessing a bit.

Anyways, if someone calls you like this do not return the call. It is fraud. The one called me from 1-866-350-1388. A quick google search shows these guys are fraud and operate in Canada, and they go back years. How on earth have the RCMP not shut them down?
Unfortunately the way the law is set up allows these outfits to claim they are collection agents and they are hard to take down.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #14
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Unfortunately the way the law is set up allows these outfits to claim they are collection agents and they are hard to take down.
Just crazy as I would think them giving me a number that if called says "Welcome to blah blah bank" is fraud and illegal. Anyways, I'll be passing this onto the RCMP anti fraud as that is all I can do. Just amazing as it is flat out fraud, never even dealt with the bank in question in my life.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are you guys blocking calls? Is this on your cell or landline?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #16
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
It started on my cell. They called 3 times in a row, and left a VM saying they were calling on behalf of the bank on an urgent matter. It wasn't a recording and they quoted a case number. So I called back as I knew it was a mistake but wanted it fixed.

They also called my parents house looking for me. So I think that spooked me too as who would have my parents and my number?

I called and said I was going to call the bank and confirm. The lady happily gave me a 1-800 for the bank. Something didn't sit right so I called the 1-800 on the bank site not what she gave me.

The bank confirmed it is fraud. Just seemed somewhat legit even though I never had any financial transactions with the bank in question. I just thought nievely that it was and mistake a quick call would fix. So ya don't ever talk to them. They won't go away now. So I have called the RCMP.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #17
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a very similar situation, had a place called "Partners In Credit" call me stating they were calling on behalf of a bank. When I refused to give them any personal info, he gave me the bank # to call - I did the same as OldDutch and called the number listed on the bank site instead. Bank had no idea what this company was talking about and I even pulled my credit report from both services and everything was clean.

When they called me back and I let him know everything was good on my side, he still wanted more personal info to which I refused. I questioned if he even had the right person and he finally asked if I was "insert full name here", to which I said nope and did give him my middle name - he hung up on me. So I don't know if this was a scam attempt or just a collections person hunting around and found someone with the same first and last name and thought he had finally caught up with the person.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #18
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
What's a landline grandpa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
What's a landline grandpa?
None of your damned business.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2016, 09:49 AM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was helping my parents clear out their basement this last weekend and what do we come across? A rotary phone. Couldn't believe it. Dusted it off and took it home. Think I'll plug it in this weekend and eagerly wait a phone call.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote