Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #81
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol yes I’m sure the professional baseball pitcher got carpal tunnel from video games and not something else full of repetitive arm and hand motions. Perhaps some type of sport that involves a lot of throwing and catching. Maybe.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:37 PM   #82
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlamesftw View Post
Many believe its juolevi. Canucks keep on giving just like the oilers.
Many people on twitter, based off nothing but a comment from bouchard that he didnt go out much and likes video games

Plus theres a 99% chance he starts the year in the nhl
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #83
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

oooooh man...

if that were my kid i'd be pissed!

i mean it's a little bit tongue in cheek, as i understand games are addictive and can be considered clinically so in some cases....but its a little different than someone working a day job they hate...

presumably a kid who was drafted in the first round enjoys playing hockey? i mean maybe not...but the chance to cash a multi million dollar lottery ticket versus another battle royale in Fortnite?!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #84
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

it’s almost like some people can function having certain addictions and some can’t. Really dumb to speculate who it is cuz none of you pretend insiders know haha.

Fortnite can be very addicting but it can also be a great team building activity. I only play with friends and it’s a #### ton of fun and involves a lot of teamwork.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-18-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:42 AM   #85
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
UFC champ, and pound for pound greatest fighter ever, Mighty Mouse, is a huge gamer. Any hobby, when it interferes with your well being, is a problem, not just videogames.
Gonna derail this thread to tell you he’s not the greatest mma fighter ever.

He is an Amazing fighter and he does play a crazy amount of video games.

You can also play video games and have a productive life and family. Moderation is key.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-18-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:05 AM   #86
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Getting to be part of the real life version of EA's NHL franchise sounds a lot more fun. You get to live a game! There's nothing closer.

I do understand cause i was definitely there as a kid. I overplayed and it was so much more engaging than life at the time with that absence of social pressures and fears and authority figures etc and served as an escape, but i also dont. I eventually just...came to desire real life experiences more. Connecting with people brought deeper satisfaction. But now were getting more socially challenged in general and that escape does seem appealing from time to time. With how immersive the games are, having seen it in younger kids it does appear to be a legitimate addiction for kids raised into today's environment and entertainment abundance.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-18-2018 at 01:08 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #87
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
My kids (elementary and junior high aged) and their friends/cousins/etc. are all over this fortnite game. I just assumed it was a kids game. Weird to me that adults have time for gaming. Another reason why the life of a pro athlete, or top amateur athlete, is so unrelateable.
I have lot of friends , with kids , and full time big boy jobs who play fortnite from 9 pm until midnight every night. There’s lots of time in the day to play if you’re willing to sleep only 5-6 hours !
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #88
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
oooooh man...

if that were my kid i'd be pissed!

i mean it's a little bit tongue in cheek, as i understand games are addictive and can be considered clinically so in some cases....but its a little different than someone working a day job they hate...

presumably a kid who was drafted in the first round enjoys playing hockey? i mean maybe not...but the chance to cash a multi million dollar lottery ticket versus another battle royale in Fortnite?!

I am sure if the young man in question could simply walk away from his addiction, he would.

You have no conscious control over your serotonin, adrenaline, dopamine, etc. When these are released to the brain, everyone reacts differently and that is why addiction to anything is nothing to be scoffed at because you can't help it. You need help to break it.

Gambling is a classic example of addiction, and it's really not much different than video games. Your last sentence is the same as asking an addicted gambler: do you want to lose your family, or bet your last dollar on that stupid horse race? Choice is obvious to us, but not to the addicted.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #89
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I am sure if the young man in question could simply walk away from his addiction, he would.

You have no conscious control over your serotonin, adrenaline, dopamine, etc. When these are released to the brain, everyone reacts differently and that is why addiction to anything is nothing to be scoffed at because you can't help it. You need help to break it.

Gambling is a classic example of addiction, and it's really not much different than video games. Your last sentence is the same as asking an addicted gambler: do you want to lose your family, or bet your last dollar on that stupid horse race? Choice is obvious to us, but not to the addicted.
oh for sure... not trying to be or sound insensitive...

its just something that is very difficult to understand through the lens of someone not addicted to video games...esp when the alternative to the video games is the chance at what maybe 1% of people actually have - playing in the pros.

i mean, i have a healthy addiction to games, averaging probably 12-16 hrs a week, when a big game release comes out...but its relatively low end when it comes to what a true addiction is...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #90
awildermode
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm...and the NHL has been promoting the Gaming World Championships on their various social media feeds.

https://www.nhl.com/news/gamer-aaron...?tid=297963536

So, maybe he could kinda play in the NHL
Old 05-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #91
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

At some point, some of these video game players will go from being an addict to high-level eSports "athletes" however.

It's crazy to think that some of them make millions of dollars a year just playing video games.

https://www.esportsearnings.com/players
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:07 PM   #92
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Goddamned Millennials!

Its spelled 'Night' not 'Nite.'

Fortnight.

You cant use a British term for '2 weeks' and then bastardize it Americana style.
Butt yf yoo misspel itt, dat mayks itt eezier tu gett ay vallid trademarq®.

(Quote me and I'll sue for infringement.)
Old 05-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #93
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I have lot of friends , with kids , and full time big boy jobs who play fortnite from 9 pm until midnight every night. There’s lots of time in the day to play if you’re willing to sleep only 5-6 hours !
9 til midnight every night. Thst sounds like a problem if its everynight. Maybe some of that time should be spent with thier significant other or helping out around the house.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #94
doncherry
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
In this particular case, the old people who don't understand are the ones who dismiss the possibility of video game addiction because they don't know the meaning of the term ‘poopsocker’.
I'll admit to googling what the hell that is, which brings up the more important question, what the hell kind of socks are these kids wearing if they can thread the needle and #### into a sock while continuing to play their game?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #95
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Gonna derail this thread to tell you he’s not the greatest mma fighter ever.

He is an Amazing fighter and he does play a crazy amount of video games.

You can also play video games and have a productive life and family. Moderation is key.
I don't think there is anyone else that comes close. If you cranked his size up to any weight class, he is the champ. You can't say that about any other fighter. He is 5'3, 125 pounds, he is barely touchable.

The only reason I brought him up was to state that you can be successful and play videogames.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:43 PM   #96
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My kids (elementary and junior high aged) and their friends/cousins/etc. are all over this fortnite game. I just assumed it was a kids game. Weird to me that adults have time for gaming.
Why? You don't make time for things that you enjoy?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #97
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

My CalgaryPuck addiction derailed my video game addiction.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #98
Soliak
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
My kids (elementary and junior high aged) and their friends/cousins/etc. are all over this fortnite game. I just assumed it was a kids game. Weird to me that adults have time for gaming. Another reason why the life of a pro athlete, or top amateur athlete, is so unrelateable.
I'm 30 and have been playing video games since 11 when Counter Strike Beta 4 came out. I play Fortnite 4-5 nights a week, lots of fun...you just find time. It's honestly how I relax after a big day at work, hour or two of gaming and I am completely chilled out. Funny I know that something so intense relaxes you but you can't think about anything else when you are gaming.

For what it's worth without swinging my dick around, I have successful career in Sales, have my #### together, happy relationship etc. If I can work 10 hours + a day in a career, find time to game + girlfriend, then the athletes would have no issues(true addiction aside which I very much doubt this is).
Soliak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:29 AM   #99
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliak View Post
For what it's worth without swinging my dick around, I have successful career in Sales, have my #### together, happy relationship etc. If I can work 10 hours + a day in a career, find time to game + girlfriend, then the athletes would have no issues(true addiction aside which I very much doubt this is).
I can appreciate your dedication and by no means am I saying your workday is not difficult but it not the same as a developing pro athlete when it comes to pure energy exerted and the balance you need to find in sleep.

When I played hockey for a rather large university I went to bed at 9pm because at 5am I was up running 2km. After breakfast I had practice, then after practice I had school, then after school I had the weight room, then after the weight room I had video and then it was 8pm. This was the schedule for almost every person on the team. Just one late night would drastically reduce performance in all of the days activities and put me or anyone else back a day. A day that you cant make up. Serious developing althletes spend 3 hours a day eating......just eating.

When you are in the show and you have travel days, team provided meals, hotels, training facilities, dietitians and top tier support lates nights Do not impact you as much as they would when you do not have that support structure.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #100
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
Serious developing althletes spend 3 hours a day eating......just eating.
How many hours was the pooping? 'cause you can game a lot on an iPad these days or even a Nintendo switch.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post: