Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #2141
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean I guess as clumsy an attempt as it was, it was an attempt.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #2142
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

United way too static. They miss Lukaku big time.

Chelsea deserves the lead.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #2143
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Would have been nice to win but oh well. I lost interest weeks ago and this game just provided more reasons for that lack of caring. Too many garbage players in the lineup. Sure won't be sad to see the end of the likes of Young, Valencia and Jones. Martial isn't the answer either.

Transfer season has gotten my attention for weeks and will have even more so now. They can't ship them out and bring them in fast enough for me I'm sure!
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #2144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Would have been nice to win but oh well. I lost interest weeks ago and this game just provided more reasons for that lack of caring. Too many garbage players in the lineup. Sure won't be sad to see the end of the likes of Young, Valencia and Jones. Martial isn't the answer either.

Transfer season has gotten my attention for weeks and will have even more so now. They can't ship them out and bring them in fast enough for me I'm sure!

Hes been nothing but stalwart this season for you and the other two are representing England at the World Cup.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #2145
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

completely different for me. I'm pretty tired of transfer season ... after all, United has spent so much money over the last few years that it ought to show results at some point. Pretty tired of burning all that money only to see the same #### brand of football. They could buy the most exciting players in the world and Mourinho would transform them into boring zombies, so why even get excited? Man, we were so spoiled with Sir Alex. Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho have really drained me with their garbage football.

Really don't get why you're singling out Valencia and Young though, they aren't the problem and have actually had good seasons I thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 02:11 AM   #2146
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
completely different for me. I'm pretty tired of transfer season ... after all, United has spent so much money over the last few years that it ought to show results at some point. Pretty tired of burning all that money only to see the same #### brand of football. They could buy the most exciting players in the world and Mourinho would transform them into boring zombies, so why even get excited? Man, we were so spoiled with Sir Alex. Moyes, van Gaal and Mourinho have really drained me with their garbage football.

Really don't get why you're singling out Valencia and Young though, they aren't the problem and have actually had good seasons I thought.
They have played well at times but they just aren't good enough. They need upgrades at those positions. Thus all the rumours about who Jose wants to add over the summer don't surprise me cause it's changing the weak links.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:05 AM   #2147
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have played well at times but they just aren't good enough. They need upgrades at those positions. Thus all the rumours about who Jose wants to add over the summer don't surprise me cause it's changing the weak links.
yes they do, mainly because they are old. The problem for me is that the CBs can't get the ball forward, therefore exposing the FBs. Smalling is horrible with the ball, Jones and Bailly are meh at best in that regard. Theoretically it should be Lindelöfs best asset, but he still hasn't settled. They need a good ball-playing CB badly. Heck, even a guy like Maguire would do wonders.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #2148
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

West Ham really are the Edmonton Oilers of the PL. They released James Collins by email! What a disgrace.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #2149
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In some ways United's glaring deficiencies kind of suggest Mourinho actually overachieved with this team, at least in the Premier League. At the same time a team with the attacking talent that United have shouldn't be looking like West Brom going forward. A CB who can play out is definitely necessary, but so is some actual creativity in midfield and full backs (and wingers) who can effectively get the ball in the box. And yet would it really be shocking if all they did this summer is pay £200 million for Neymar and be done with it? United have been about splash signings in recent years, not necessarily the signings they really need.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #2150
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well in terms of offense, I'm pretty disillusioned by now. Mourinho could probably buy the best offensive players in the world and turn them into average players. Martial and Rashford were two of the most exciting young attacking players in the world under freaking van Gaal, Alexis was a superstar under Wenger. Look what Mourinho has done to them at United. All that attacking talent, but no attacking threat ... bloody depressing.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #2151
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post

I agree with all this.

I thought at the time of hiring that Mourinho would be a good hire as long as United understood it was short term, and moved on from him before he became a disaster. I think that time to move on is right now. He has come in and provided stability when it was really needed, and does what he does best, get results. United's record in the league this year is actually very good.

But the Mourinho disaster is just around the corner. Attacking players don't like playing in his boring system, and we've seen players quit on him as a result. United could play this perfectly if they brought in the right manager this summer.

Of course, I'm hoping they go the other way and we get to watch Mourinho suck the life out of stars for a few seasons yet.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #2152
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well really there's probably only one manager I think United fans would want to replace Mourinho, and that's Poch (maybe Allegri I guess). And I think you're more likely to get him next summer. So I think you gotta ride it out for one more year and hope the usual Mourinho Year Three act doesn't come to fruition.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:50 AM   #2153
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well really there's probably only one manager I think United fans would want to replace Mourinho, and that's Poch (maybe Allegri I guess). And I think you're more likely to get him next summer. So I think you gotta ride it out for one more year and hope the usual Mourinho Year Three act doesn't come to fruition.
I don't think Poch moves within the league though. His next move is to a club like Madrid.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #2154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
First of all, I'm looking forward to Mourinho's typical 3rd year. Those disasters are fun to watch.

But he did sign a contract extension, so it stands to reason hes going to be around for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think Poch moves within the league though. His next move is to a club like Madrid.
Well...I think Barca's manager isnt coming back next season, but I think RM are going to stick with Zidane for a while, hes a company man, and Tuchel took the PSG vacancy.

I hope Poch goes to Arsenal. Just for the lulz.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-20-2018, 12:42 PM   #2155
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poch wouldnt go to Barcelona, hes espanyol, hes said before it precludes him from ever taking that job

When he does leave, hopefully not soon, its PSG or RM
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 PM   #2156
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
First of all, I'm looking forward to Mourinho's typical 3rd year. Those disasters are fun to watch.

But he did sign a contract extension, so it stands to reason hes going to be around for a while.

Well...I think Barca's manager isnt coming back next season, but I think RM are going to stick with Zidane for a while, hes a company man, and Tuchel took the PSG vacancy.

I hope Poch goes to Arsenal. Just for the lulz.
Well he won’t go there for sure, but they could have Pardew or Moyes or maybe even Big Sam if they play their cards right!
Old 05-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #2157
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well he won’t go there for sure, but they could have Pardew or Moyes or maybe even Big Sam if they play their cards right!
Hoof and Hope! Pints of Wine all around!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM   #2158
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So much for Arteta...

https://twitter.com/user/status/998635490084622341
Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #2159
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well.....I did not see these coming.

West Ham appoint Pelligrini as their new manager.

Quote:
Manuel Pellegrini is set to return to England's top flight.

Two years after leaving Manchester City with a Premier League winners' medal in tow, the Chilean-born tactician has reportedly agreed to a deal worth up to £7 million a year to become West Ham's 17th permanent manager.
https://www.thescore.com/eng_fed/news/1547804

Aaaannnd.....

It looks like Arsenal's new manager is going to be.......wait for it.......

Unai Emery.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44203679

Old 05-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #2160
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ornstein is probably the most reliable football journalist in England, especially when it comes to Arsenal. This one's dusted.

Emery is an interesting choice, not sure what to make of it. Will also be interesting to see what Chelsea does ... speculation is that Napoli coach Maurizio Sarri will take over, and that's certainly something I do not want to see.