Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-14-2018, 10:19 AM   #601
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole season seems to be jumping around too since it seems to be being told from Bernards timeline perspective and his memories are all jumbled.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:15 AM   #602
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally caught up and watched 3 episodes in a row. Episode 4 was awesome. Only problem was my power went out during the Elsie exploration and i had to wait 15 minutes to continue it!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #603
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yup, pulled me right back in, too. Excellent.
Me too. #1-#3 all OK and a bit interesting but now I'm counting down the days again. Love it.
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Futzee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2018, 10:53 PM   #604
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a bit confused about all of the timelines in Bernard's trip into William's dad's vault with Elsie. . . .

At one point, when she's approaching the door to William's dad's vault, I believe he was trying to warn her not to go in there, but said something along the lines of "I'm not here with you right now am I? I'm trying to remember what we found here..."

If that's right, that indicates that there will be a future timeline in which Bernard yet again goes back to that vault trying to figure out the same thing they just discovered.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:14 PM   #605
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know what people see in this show, it's a chore to slog through the episodes. There is almost no plot and what plot there is being dragged out for what feels like an eternity. It has glimpses of greatness I guess that's why I keep watching and hoping it gets better.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 12:50 AM   #606
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't know what people see in this show, it's a chore to slog through the episodes. There is almost no plot and what plot there is being dragged out for what feels like an eternity. It has glimpses of greatness I guess that's why I keep watching and hoping it gets better.
Huh? That can't be a serious statement.

You may not like the plot, but to say it lacks plot is a weird take.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #607
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I was a bit confused about all of the timelines in Bernard's trip into William's dad's vault with Elsie. . . .

At one point, when she's approaching the door to William's dad's vault, I believe he was trying to warn her not to go in there, but said something along the lines of "I'm not here with you right now am I? I'm trying to remember what we found here..."

If that's right, that indicates that there will be a future timeline in which Bernard yet again goes back to that vault trying to figure out the same thing they just discovered.
Moreso than last season they are trying to impart a feeling of uncertainty regarding reality and time. Although there were definitely moments with Delores and William in season 1 where you were unsure if she was hallucinating a memory or we were experiencing a flashback. Bernard's cognitive malfunctions and awareness and of the experience is complicating that feeling.

Though you make a good point, because from Bernard's perspective it seems we are jumping between 2 timelines: immediately after Ford's murder, and Delos arriving to clean-up the aftermath. If so, at what point did Bernard return to that lab to have this "memory".

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #608
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half of that episode was good, the other half seemed like a slog. It was a decent 'set-up' episode, though, all things considered.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #609
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I was a bit confused about all of the timelines in Bernard's trip into William's dad's vault with Elsie.
Delos isn't William's dad. He's William's father in law. You watched the first season right? William takes over the company from his ######bag brother in law who he sends riding naked into the wilderness?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Yeah, stop watching. The first season was entirely character driven and character focused - a show about who Bernard, Dolores, William, Ford and Hale were, and what they wanted, a journey through which the show could explore some serious philosophical questions. If you can't get behind that, watch something else.

Honestly, the plot-driven focus of this season so far (WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO OUR HEROES NEXT? TUNE IN NEXT WEEK TO FIND OUT! WHOA THERE MIGHT BE SAMURAI!) along with them bringing back nearly everyone they killed off at the end of last season has made this a bit disappointing for me so far. That, and the fact that Anthony Hopkins was the best part about the show. It's still good, I'm not complaining, but it really needs to focus on the characters and themes more. I don't watch this #### for the shootouts.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:05 AM   #610
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a plot over character TV person so I'm liking this more. I liked the first season too.

Plot doesn't have to be a serialized gong show. An overarching story that leads somewhere is actually pretty nice, especially since the first season we setting up a mystery for the whole thing.

Last edited by nik-; 05-22-2018 at 12:08 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #611
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I find these go for broke, big budget series are doing that serialization after a major production investment in the original season. Everything is really great and then we land in season 2 only to have the story really being dragged out (probably on account of budget). Westworld and Handmaids Tale.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:44 AM   #612
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm finding the show really dragging. I'm not that interested in the wondering robots. Also, there is no drama when the robots die, because you can just turn them back on. Its seems like Delores has just turned that sleep function after being shot off.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #613
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I was ready to give up on it after last season but decided to give it another go. I'm still finding watching episodes a chore so I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to last.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #614
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm finding the exact opposite. I'm into the plot, find the philosophical undertones fascinating, love the music covers, love the intelligent and complicated timelines etc. It's probably my favourite show on TV and leads to way more conversations with friends than any other show I've seen in recent memory.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #615
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Funnily enough, there was an article in the Guardian today about whether it's ok to give up on the show or not - https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...-give-up-on-it

I loved the first season, but have to agree that this season is really dragging. I'll keep with it in the hopes that it's building to something, because I do find it to be an intelligent show and there aren't enough of them out there. I do agree with one of the comments on that article that not every show needs to have a second season. Westworld should've been one and done. The robots rise up and overthrow their creators is as good a finale as any.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swift For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #616
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who watched LOST until the end, it's totally ok to give up on a show.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #617
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who watched Under The Dome until the end, I agree.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #618
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I don't disagree but there's sometimes a gnawing sense of guilt like "I wonder if that show got any better?"

I've given up on House of Cards and Orange is the New Black in the last year after putting in 4 seasons into each of them. Not a conscious decision to stop, but just realizing that I haven't been arsed to sit down and watch them. Sometimes I'm tempted to force myself to jump back in.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #619
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not enough nudity this year. One episode of showing Thandie Newton's tatas should re-energize the show.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 03:35 PM   #620
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
As someone who watched LOST until the end, it's totally ok to give up on a show.
Yeah, but a show that was an absolute classic, one of the best TV arcs ever made with some of the best writing, concept and performances, for its entire first season... and people want to give up on it four episodes later? Really? Give it at least the balance of the season to see if it works itself out.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote