Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #1161
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The draft rules were fine. Vegas needed better players to meet the salary floor which didn’t exist for previous expansions.

I attribute the Knights success to three things:
1. Picking big and fast players who fit the coaches system
2. Getting career breakout years out of their forwards, especially the first line.
3. Having a Stanley Cup winning goalie available who then engaged god mode.

Two out of three are complete luck and I cannot see Seattle or any future teams having the same sucess.
Am I the only who thinks the team rallying after the Shooting played a massive part in bringing that group together w/ the city on their back?

It was like the spark of everything for those players and I don't think they would've had the season they did without that factor.

I feel happy for the citizens of Las Vegas, I just hope they don't expect this every year or take these moments for granted because it could be once in a lifetime.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #1162
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/998566039045771264
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #1163
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Like anyone else I am surprised that Vegas has done that they have. I thought they would have the depth they do but would lack top pairing defenceman and not have a good top line. I was a bit surprised by some of the deals they worked out at the expansion draft.

But let's face it if the chemistry between Karlsson, Smith, and Marchessault was predictable, another GM would have made the deals to unite those guys.

They did get a far more favorable expansion draft...than again they did pay every other owner a shad under 17 million to join the league. I'll be interested to see how they do next year. I have to think they will normalize a bit. But they could still be the best team in the Pacific.

I doubt the next expansion team will be this good. But I bet they hesitate a lot less to drop the money on the expansion fee now having seen what is possible.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #1164
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remarkably calm and at peace with the loss. I think I knew in my heart the writing was on the wall in game 3, the Jets just didn't have the juice and Fleury was playing Hasek-like. It was a tremendous season and there's so much to look forward too.. and the Jets took me nearly to Bomber season.

I don't think Maurice is the guy to get the Jets over the top and into the finals and winning it, but, I've been wrong a lot lately with Jets stuff so who knows.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #1165
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Am I the only who thinks the team rallying after the Shooting played a massive part in bringing that group together w/ the city on their back?

It was like the spark of everything for those players and I don't think they would've had the season they did without that factor.

I feel happy for the citizens of Las Vegas, I just hope they don't expect this every year or take these moments for granted because it could be once in a lifetime.
I agree with you 100%. I have been saying all season that these guys were playing for themselves (because they were discarded in effect), and that the second biggest non-hockey reason was the shooting. It rallied the entire city behind them, and they gave the city a reason to cheer for them when they started as well as they did.
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #1166
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple things, but the IMO the biggest impact for them is Fleury. He gave them the opportunity to play with confidence and it has snowballed to a juggernaut. Pittsburgh knew they were going to give up an elite goalie. They just went long term with a decade of Murray vs two years with Fleury. It was obvious that knew Vegas would take Fleury, so it would cost a lot if you wanted him before the expansion draft (ie rumour that they wanted 6th OA). Fleury is playing lights out in the playoffs. His stats are in line with what JS Giguere did when he won the Conn Smythe while losing in the finals.

The second thing, and it makes me chuckle with the Bennett thread, is they took players that were young and developing trying take that next step. Players like Schmidt, McNabb, Theadore, Tuch, and Karlsson are all excelling as players taking that next step.

I also don't buy into the cast off as there are probably half a dozen players that fall into that category as players selected that teams could have cared less if they lost. It starts with a the goalie, as it isn't very often you get an elite goalie. Perfect storm for Vegas in that regard.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #1167
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lol at Jets fans a few pages back that were like "why would I spend so much money to only watch the conference finals when I can spend that on the finals in a few weeks?"
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #1168
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Lol at Jets fans a few pages back that were like "why would I spend so much money to only watch the conference finals when I can spend that on the finals in a few weeks?"
Well they still can, they just wont be watching Winnipeg.

I cant wait to see what the LVGKs do for opening entertainment in the Finals.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #1169
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m still having a hard time believing that this happening.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #1170
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Jets fans are also Bomber fans, and therefore are the worst fans on the planet.

/end thread.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #1171
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post

I think the way the team’s response to the shooting, and particularly the way the fans and the city rallied around that response provided, continues to provide a huge boost to the team. I think the “castoffs” schtick might have provided a bit of “We’ll show them!” motivation earlier in the season, but FireGilbert’s 3 components really are the key to the sustained good play throughout the last half of the season and playoffs. Fleury regaining his top form is obviously a huge part of the playoff success, but the strength of the roster from top to bottom sure doesn’t hurt. This season may be their peak, but don’t expect them to drop to the level of the lottery winner group next year.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Bozek For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM   #1172
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Nobody in the media likes getting things dead wrong, and most did, multiple times since the preseason, when it came to Vegas, so that embarrassment and trying to cut Vegas down, time and again, to make them feel better about themselves, and less foolish, seeps it way to their columns blogs and network sites, which many people still lap up like dogs as gospel.

From the end of October to basically game 4 of this series, desperate journalists and have eagerly types up the first few paragraphs of the "well I told you so BACK in September that this was going to happen" column, and they've never got to finish it.
It's interesting how much of the writer class has almost become degenerate gamblers. They're obsessed with predicting the future in their columns, and if they get it wrong they double down.

I don't remember NHL writers being this obsessed about predictions when I was growing up. I wonder when this transition took place? Is it partly due to the popularity of fantasy sports and betting?
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 AM   #1173
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't agree with the notion that the success of Vegas cannot be explained. They have an elite goalie and play a very fast paced game, and trust the youth on the team implicitly. The D pinch like crazy, the forwards support the D in all zones very effectively. The Knights play basically the exact opposite system to what conventional wisdom would say, you can't do that. I also think they have exposed how over coached some teams are.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #1174
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
I really feel bad for the entire Jets fan base. They have been so dedicated with longevity to their beloved Jets. Hockey matters to their city to their province year round.

With the NHL's Vegas expansion draft success puting such fear in GM's to not be able to protect every roster player they needed to, they even cut side deals with LV with compensating them with draft picks not to take certain players. Multiple trades after the expansion draft were worked out. Bettmans fast tracking a competitive roster for sunny Vegas roster right to instantly being one of top 3 teams in the NHL. Then right on through to the SC final.

I am sure that every dedicated long term fan base that helped build the NHL through decades and decades of dedication & all their up & down seasons are just overjoyed to see Vegas fans get easy street., The seasons after season of frustration just to get a small dose of the playoffs is thrilled to see Bettman way over compensate LV to build their super competitive team with Instant success as the result.
Deny it all you want this was the result. Not saying the reg season was rigged or the playoffs. But the result is first year Vegas in the SC final.
Quite a change in tone from your thoughts shortly after the expansion draft!

Let's take a look here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
This LV for up front is a complete Mess. The D for most part is going to be slow. McPhee capped the bed with 3/4 of his selections. compared to who he "passed" on.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #1175
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I don't agree with the notion that the success of Vegas cannot be explained. They have an elite goalie and play a very fast paced game, and trust the youth on the team implicitly. The D pinch like crazy, the forwards support the D in all zones very effectively. The Knights play basically the exact opposite system to what conventional wisdom would say, you can't do that. I also think they have exposed how over coached some teams are.
I read this and couldn't help but think, if you ignore "elite goalie" and add a dash of shot blocking, that sounds much like a Bob Hartley team...
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #1176
Harju
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I would agree and I also think Las Vegas sends a message to GM's whose teams have wallowed in mediocrity for years on end i.e, Don't be afraid to blow your team up.
Harju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:28 AM   #1177
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Quite a change in tone from your thoughts shortly after the expansion draft!

Let's take a look here...
That thread makes for an enlightening read in retrospect.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #1178
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Ok, I'm gonna say it, McPhee is a dummy. He's building a squad like it's 2001.
We should borrow McPhee's way-way-back-machine for a couple of months....

Last edited by FlamesFanTrev; 05-21-2018 at 11:16 AM.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:54 AM   #1179
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, the most amazing thing about the expansion draft and the Knights' success is they did not set out to draft the best roster available for their inaugural season. They set out to maximize their long-term assets, and that governed the deals they made before the draft. They passed on a bunch of players (Vatanen, Manson, Anderson, Dumba) who were better than the ones they ended up taking, or picked then flipped players (Methot, van Riemsdyk) , in exchange for picks and prospects, (picking up 5 x 2nd round and 2 x 1st round picks). McPhee traded and drafted for the future, not the present. And the team is still playing in the SCF.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 05-21-2018 at 11:10 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #1180
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Stupid Treliving didn’t go get Reilly Smith like I said he should have.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elvis , knight up , pumpkin time , white out