Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #201
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
So is this a situation where we love RT because it supports what some thought or we dismiss it because it doesn’t agree with what we think? I’m never sure.
I never dismiss RT as it’s my go-to but it’s not perfect by any means as not all reviewers are equal. You just have to know to de-rate certain types of movies like Star Wars and Marvel Movies as reviewers with emotional attachment tend to not be as objective.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-16-2018 at 06:01 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #202
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rotten Tomatoes is the reason I have trust issues.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #203
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
It's hard to actually get fatigue when you're typically talking about 2-3 movies per year.

In a perfect world, we could all wear capes and fanny packs without shame.
really? depends on your point of view. I think one movie per year is too much for a franchise.
I'd be happy if any franchise had one every 3 years. and no companion tv series.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #204
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Rotten Tomatoes is the reason I have trust issues.
Maybe you should just see movies you think look interesting and decide whether you like it or not?
Old 05-17-2018, 01:30 PM   #205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
really? depends on your point of view. I think one movie per year is too much for a franchise.
I'd be happy if any franchise had one every 3 years. and no companion tv series.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #206
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Reviews seem all over the place. Plenty say it's fun (71% RT) but a more than a few say it's terrible. Lowest rated Star Wars movie since Attack of the Clones as even Revenge of the Sith was 79%.
There are quite a few that are borderline...not enough to make a fresh tomato but also not a score that says "terrible". 2.5/4 type deals.

Which basically seems to indicate the consensus will be a decent to good time at the theater.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #207
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before we jump right into a spoiler thread, can you guys post a few reviews here that don't give too much away? I trust about 50% of the opinions here so I'd like to read what you all think.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM   #208
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Before we jump right into a spoiler thread, can you guys post a few reviews here that don't give too much away? I trust about 50% of the opinions here so I'd like to read what you all think.

Is having seen the movie a prerequisite?

If yes, I can't help unfortunately.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 PM   #209
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. Alot of fun, some pacing issues and some dialogue that felt forced. Overall tho a solid film, the action was amazing and there was a ton of it. The lead actor did very well same with Landon those were the two standouts for me.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #210
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can't believe...

Spoiler!

Great movie!
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:38 PM   #211
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The cast is on point.

Glover and the droid specifically! The thing about great characters that work well together is it can compensate for lulls in the storytelling.

Star Wars having fun and not taking itself overly seriously looks good on this franchise.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #212
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it tonight, and I too enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The entire cast was great, particularly Donald Glover, Woody, and Paul Bettany. The guy who plays Han does a decent job as well. I noticed just a little bit of Harrison Ford mimicry in some of his dialogue and facial expressions, but for the most part I thought he brought his own thing and slid into the role pretty comfortably once the story and the action kicked in.

It's definitely a more upbeat adventure than Rogue One or the Last Jedi. Fun movie!

Spoiler!
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 AM   #213
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

We enjoyed it.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #214
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Saw it with a bunch of buddies tonight, everyone really liked it in my group. I thought it was really well done. Glover nailed it, Ehrenreich grew on me as the film went on. 4/5
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #215
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw it last night and definitely enjoyed it.

Thandie Newton and Donald Glover were both great and I wish they both had more screen time. The rest of the cast was good too, but those two were my favorites. I was expecting Emilia Clarke to be the weak link, and she was, but I still thought she was good.

Overall, if you’re a fan of SW at all you should see this.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #216
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Movie debut with $14.1 Mill yesterday, probably looking at around $100 mill opening weekend. I think it will have good legs tho as I think a lot of people are staying away until they hear if its good or not and most people are more positive on it.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #217
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Movie debut with $14.1 Mill yesterday, probably looking at around $100 mill opening weekend. I think it will have good legs tho as I think a lot of people are staying away until they hear if its good or not and most people are more positive on it.
100mil opening would be a huge fall off from expectations. It'd also be a huge fall off from Rogue One, which opened on a non holiday weekend to 155 mil.

I'd be shocked if Solo opened to anything less than 125mil. If it does open at 100mil, it could mean a loss. Solo is also the most expensive Star Wars movie ever, with estimated budget costs of between 250-300 million.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #218
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

100mil opening weekend, on a holiday weekend in the US no less, would be an absolute disaster for the Star Wars franchise and a continuation of the trend of interest in the franchise dropping across all mediums. Hopefully if this happens it sends a message that change is needed at the top of the LucasFilm hierarchy, but I think most fans know that already.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 AM   #219
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Solo opened in China with 120k for Thursday. So international box office probably won't save it. If it opens at 100mil domestically, that could mean under 250mil total and under 600 mil internationally. That would be an epic disaster.

I'd be shocked if numbers were numbers that low.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:08 AM   #220
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Solo opened in China with 120k for Thursday. So international box office probably won't save it. If it opens at 100mil domestically, that could mean under 250mil total and under 600 mil internationally. That would be an epic disaster.

I'd be shocked if numbers were numbers that low.
The 2 day international box office (excluding USA) is at $11.4 million, I heard that the 4 day US box office would be around $120 million. The $100 million I said earlier was just until Sunday. I'm no expert at predicting the box office, this is just what I heard. Certainly the numbers are lower than expected for a Star Wars film, but a lot can happen this weekend to sway it one way or another. I still think it ends up with a decent run in North America not so sure about international however.