Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
Crackmacs
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Question Have you ever won anything from scratch and wins?

I used to take part in a weekly lotto max lottery with some co-workers but we just ended up spending so much money and winning zero, we eventually stopped. I haven't started playing that again, but I have started buying scratch and wins recently. Not something I've ever really bothered with before, but they're kind of fun. I can see the issue if you have an addictive personality.. haha, ouch.

I've bought a bunch of $1, $2, and some $10 tickets. Have won a few dollars here and there, but nothing big.

Before I met the wife, she found a scratch and win ticket on the ground in a mall in Edmonton, won $10,000 from it. I guess someone thought it was a loser and went to toss it in the garbage but missed.

Anyway, have you ever won much from scratch and wins? I know they're designed to take my money, but it's fun. Not too expensive or anything, couple bucks a month.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won 50$ off a 30$ scratch ticket, I think that's the most I've ever won in my lifetime on lottery/tickets lol. I don't usually buy or play the lottery so this was a nice little surprise.

I find scratch tickets more fun over just waiting for the numbers to be picked. Having the app now that you can scan your tickets at home makes it a lot easier to check winners/losers.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple bucks here and there. Most was 25 bucks from bingo. Stopped playing the scratch cards but still play the weekly lottery
Old 02-18-2018, 11:58 PM   #4
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was awarded the right to obtain, own and benefit from a new scratch and win ticket. Pertaining to that ticket, said outcome was nil.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 12:40 AM   #5
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got them for Christmas when I was a kid in my stocking. No idea if gifting them to minors was actually legal or not. One time one of them was worth $100. Never bought one, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #6
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Government takes enough of my money as it is, I ain't giving it to them voluntarily
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2018, 06:26 AM   #7
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

No big wins from lotto or scratch tickets but some pins in BC still sell pull tab tickets and I've pulled $250 out of one.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
Puddy27
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I myself have only won basically free tickets and the odd $10 ticket. My grandfather however did win $30,000 on one before so you can win those big amounts. I'll be honest, I was quite skeptical that any big amounts were actually available to win but they are. My grandfather is probably still behind though as I'm sure he's put more than that into playing them over 80+ years.
Puddy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:10 AM   #9
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I just started buying the odd scratch ticket in january. I won 11 bucks on a $3 ticket and 15 bucks on a $5 ticket. Overall I'm down some cash but probably less than twenty in the hole. I doubt I'll buy many more.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #10
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Someone once gave me one of those Christmas packs of scratch tickets and I won 25 bucks - that's it.

I was actually worried, because I thought said person would want a cut if I won the big money...
Old 02-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #11
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My mother won 10k off one back in the late 80s

Last edited by surferguy; 02-20-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Stupidly using the wrong word
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #12
Bownesian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I won $21K from a blackjack ticked in fourth year university (1997). My then sister-in-law won $10K a few years later.

The stupid thing was I had to drive to Stettler to pick up my cheque, thanks to Don Getty moving the office there when it was his constituency.

I don't buy tickets any more except for stocking stuffers.
Bownesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my early 20's I decided to purchase a "black jack" scratch ticket that had 5 different games, if your hand was higher than the dealers you win the prize in the appropriate box.

Now normally scratch and wins contain a few large prizes to "tease" you into thinking you were SO CLOSE to winning the big prize, whether it be $1,000 or $20,000 and then in the end the 1 game you win out of 5 is the $2.00 prize.

Knowing this I decided to scratch all 5 playing fields before the prize amount and to my amazement and after triple checking I was in shock that I had the higher hand in every game. I immediately got super excited and thought I was going to pull some significant cash from this one in a million ticket.

Only to scratch the prize box on all 5 games and literally hit $2.00 on every game for a grand total of $10.00

TLDR: 5 game win = $10.00 = I refuse to buy scratch and wins any more, my dreams were shattered.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There used to be these gag scratch tickets you could by, that revealed great prizes. They were fake, but the reactions were priceless!
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I won something from scratch and sniff once but thats a story not for this forum.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #16
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
I won something from scratch and sniff once but thats a story not for this forum.
Herpes ?

You keep that stuff forever.........Like luggage.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:12 PM   #17
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A few winters back I went to fill up my truck (it was minus 30 out) and I kicked a piece of paper out when I got out ... I watched it blow all around the parking lot while I filled up with no intention of picking it up - when I finished filling up I was walking in to pay and this piece of paper blows right up to my feet as I'm walking so I pick it up and it's an old dirty 6-49 ticket... So I get it checked and would you believe I won $182!!!
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

My aunt won $50,000 in 2015. I can pretty much guarantee she's put a lot more than that into buying them over the years.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #19
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won $5 last week. That's about it. We pretty much only buy them for stockings for each other, and the kids now that they're old enough to collect any possible winnings from them. Occasionally, we'll grab one for birthdays or or whatever - not sure why he grabbed one, but my husband tossed one in for fun on Valentine's Day - we don't really celebrate that in any huge way beyond grabbing a dessert for whatever meal I'll make. That's the one that I won a whopping $5 off of.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 PM   #20
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

When I lived in Toronto in 2000-05 I played ball back with a guy who won $1 Million on a scratch ticket. He bought a condo downtown and a cottage up in the Kawartha Lakes and then just kept on working. He did buy ball team beer for the couple seasons I played with him.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote