Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny Male vs. Female events

This is nothing more than a (likely) obvious observation you'll say, but while I've always been aware of the difference in sport between male & female events, a lot of the recent snowboard & ski events thus far have really highlighted that I have forgotten how insanely different the caliber and level of performance is between the sexes in certain events. (hurr genetics!)

Mixed doubles curling you could hardly tell a difference between the sexes, but having watched the Slopestyle and now, half-pipe snowboard tonight with men & women back to back, it is like watching an entirely different sport. The female who just won gold in halfpipe just "stomped" the competition by completing one 1080 trick. Most males are pulling off runs 4x more technical than any female with 3+ 1080 tricks in a row (and that is a solid average run).

The real problem is that they are airing these events back to back which just draws direct comparison and the female events in juxtaposition are akin to watching a kids' version where they're happy with just completing a run without falling.

Same thing applies on the freestyle moguls, the trick portion - women are happy just doing a flip, while men are crushing insane tricks.

Call it a blatant observation, but it is almost a reaffirmation of the equality between sexes where besides 2 weeks every few years I forgot that we are really that different physically, and great to see that society has reached a point where I am shocked there is a difference only when it is put on show.

Last edited by Ducay; 02-12-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure my beer league team would pound the Korean Womens team. Canada or USA would beat us but still.

I watched the half pipe tonight too, top women were decent but the lower ranked ones (France lol) they looked like any intermediate weekend warrior you would see at the hill.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Men and women are different athletically. Water is wet.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh vey.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #5
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is nothing more than a (likely) obvious observation you'll say, but while I've always been aware of the difference in sport between male & female events, a lot of the recent snowboard & ski events thus far have really highlighted that I have forgotten how insanely different the caliber and level of performance is between the sexes in certain events. (hurr genetics!)

Mixed doubles curling you could hardly tell a difference between the sexes, but having watched the Slopestyle and now, half-pipe snowboard tonight with men & women back to back, it is like watching an entirely different sport. The female who just won gold in halfpipe just "stomped" the competition by completing one 1080 trick. Most males are pulling off runs 4x more technical than any female with 3+ 1080 tricks in a row (and that is a solid average run).

The real problem is that they are airing these events back to back which just draws direct comparison and the female events in juxtaposition are akin to watching a kids' version where they're happy with just completing a run without falling.

Same thing applies on the freestyle moguls, the trick portion - women are happy just doing a flip, while men are crushing insane tricks.

Call it a blatant observation, but it is almost a reaffirmation of the equality between sexes where besides 2 weeks every few years I forgot that we are really that different physically, and great to see that society has reached a point where I am shocked there is a difference only when it is put on show.
I know right. Why even put your daughter into sports of any kind, she'll never be as good as the boys so why even try. Thank god for home ec.

Green text aside I'm glad more girls are trying the "boy sports" more.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

And still every single woman competing, is 100 times the athlete you’ll ever be.

What’s the point of your post? Seems like some sort of passive aggressive misogyny.

And lastly, our female athletes, if I’m correct, have absolutely dominated our men on the podium the last few games.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 02:30 AM   #7
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #8
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the gap is much larger in these sports that have large gaps in participation between males and females. The male recreational snowboarding population is double females, and I'd guess that is even more pronounced in competitive snowboarding. It also doesn't hurt that it is a more lucrative sport for males, which means better access to coaching, technology, and more incentive to keep going in the sport.

Genetics is a significant factor, but I'd guess the gap wouldn't be nearly as big if the pool of competitors and money was equal to both sexes.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You must really really love equestrian.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actual conversation

gf: Why do the figure pairs need to be mixed, why not have two guys?
me: because the two guys would annihilate the mixed pairs.
gf: *nuerotic gibberish*
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarybornnraised View Post
I know right. Why even put your daughter into sports of any kind, she'll never be as good as the boys so why even try. Thank god for home ec.
And what about those Paralympics? Those athletes will never be as good as able-bodied athletes.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #13
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I think the gap is much larger in these sports that have large gaps in participation between males and females. The male recreational snowboarding population is double females, and I'd guess that is even more pronounced in competitive snowboarding. It also doesn't hurt that it is a more lucrative sport for males, which means better access to coaching, technology, and more incentive to keep going in the sport.

Genetics is a significant factor, but I'd guess the gap wouldn't be nearly as big if the pool of competitors and money was equal to both sexes.
I think this is a huge factor in the skill set different. If you look at a sport like figure skating you have 1 women who has landed a quad and now all of the elite men landing quads. The difference in ability between the elite groups right now is about 1/2 of a rotation (difference between triple axel and quad toe/loop).

Compare that to snowboarding where you have 1-2 full rotations or flips being added as the gender gap.

Another issue with snowboarding is the course design. The womens slopestyle course even excluding the wind was designed for Men. The length of the second jump to the knuckle was too far for the lighter athletes to be competitive. So you have some inherent bias that limits achievement just in the design of the sport.

But if you look at a sport like Bobsled, luge, speed skating, alpine skiing or XC skiing there is no skill based divide and the appearance of the sports and the excitement generated by watching them is the same. It is purely a genetic difference that separates the elite from the elite of each gender.

So outside of very few examples the Calibre of athlete of each gender is equal.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #14
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Actual conversation

gf: Why do the figure pairs need to be mixed, why not have two guys?
me: because the two guys would annihilate the mixed pairs.
gf: *nuerotic gibberish*
Make her watch Blades of Glory.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #15
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

True, few women do a triple axel.

Count the number of men doing a Beillman spin.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 AM   #16
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True, few women do a triple axel.

Count the number of men doing a Beillman spin.
Patrick Chan and Brian Orser can't even do a triple axel.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #17
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd love to see male curlers play the women. That may be the sport where the women would stand the best chance. The men would still prevail, in my opinion.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Patrick Chan and Brian Orser can't even do a triple axel.
Orser probably can't now, but he landed the second one ever (in 1979) and the first one ever in the Olympics (in 1984). In fact, he then started throwing in more than one into routines.

Chan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jl7YqmrT64

Or are you joking about stumbles in the Olympics? If so, never mind.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #19
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'd love to see male curlers play the women. That may be the sport where the women would stand the best chance. The men would still prevail, in my opinion.
It wouldn't be close. The men threw the big weight much better and have a huge sweeping advantage. Homan would be lucky to win more than one in ten against Koe. On the other hand, Homan would beat the hell out of my men's team and pretty much every other club team.

I do think that the doubles format would really even the gap though - Homan & Miskew vs. Koe & Kennedy would be pretty close I think. The game just lends itself to rock placement more than the ability to clear rocks.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #20
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rachel Homan's team has been one of the best women's curling teams in recent years. Two years ago, they played in a tournament against 9 men's teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Elite_10

The played 4 games in the round robin and only won one.