Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2018, 01:09 AM   #21
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very cool. Was down at Kennedy last week when they did a test fire of the Falcon heavy. Watching a full launch (of anything) is on my bucket list.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #22
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://news.sky.com/story/wrong-tur...-belt-11239916

The third burn moved it past Mars and towards an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Starman will have to pull some Han Solo like moves to survive that.
Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nsd1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool video of the landing with double-tripple sonic booms.

“[The] first boom is from the aft end (engines),” said John Taylor, SpaceX’s Communications Director. “[The] second boom is from the landing legs at the widest point going up the side of the rocket. [The] third boom is from the fins near the forward end.”

This one is from farther away. It is amazing how long after they have landed that the booms arrive.

From here:
https://jalopnik.com/the-falcon-heav...-so-1822794559
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #24
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsd1 View Post
The third burn moved it past Mars and towards an asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter. Starman will have to pull some Han Solo like moves to survive that.
What we think the asteroid belt looks like:

What it actually looks like:

It won't hit anything.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So 1/3 of the of the rocket that was supposed to return to be reused crashed into the ocean at 300 miles an hour, and the payload missed it's mark by a significant margin, but most seem to be hailing this as a success. Musk is great at hyping things, but when it comes to actually delivering, this seems just like the Tesla Model 3s that they can't make or deliver on time.

I guess it's still cool... but I could do with a little less hype and a little more realistic analysis I guess.

/debby downer
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #26
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
So 1/3 of the of the rocket that was supposed to return to be reused crashed into the ocean at 300 miles an hour, and the payload missed it's mark by a significant margin, but most seem to be hailing this as a success. Musk is great at hyping things, but when it comes to actually delivering, this seems just like the Tesla Model 3s that they can't make or deliver on time.

I guess it's still cool... but I could do with a little less hype and a little more realistic analysis I guess.

/debby downer
I bet you're a real fun person to buy gifts for.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:

/debby downer
Oh man you'd be so disappointed if you heard how many times SpaceX has had a failed launch/landing.

Progress comes with trying and failing and trying again until you perfect it. And then failing and trying again.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #28
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Smarter Every Day has a video with binaural audio that really gives you an idea what it's like to see the launch live, especially the sonic booms of the boosters landing.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #29
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

None of the cores will be re-used, I'm not sure they were expecting the 3rd to have a high chance of success but they gave it a shot. The orbit burn lasted longer than planned, but all of these things give them something to look at. The first several attempts at landing Falcon 9's were a disaster, but they kept learning and have managed several successful returns.

What constitutes success in rocketry? Not blowing up would be pretty high on the list. So check that off. By all accounts relative to other nations and their successes and failures, I don't see how you could say this was anything but successful. Not perfect, but that is why it was called a test.

And I am usually highly critical of all things Elon. I can't find much to be critical of here.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Kerbal SpaceX project

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Smarter Every Day has a video with binaural audio that really gives you an idea what it's like to see the launch live, especially the sonic booms of the boosters landing.
Thanks, totally going to watch that at home with the subwoofer cranked. Maybe I can shake some of the snow off my roof.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 PM   #32
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Oh man you'd be so disappointed if you heard how many times SpaceX has had a failed launch/landing.

Progress comes with trying and failing and trying again until you perfect it. And then failing and trying again.
Oh, I'm well aware. I just prefer a more scientific look at it, and less rah rah type hype.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #33
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I bet you're a real fun person to buy gifts for.
If you're planning to get me something, I can send you a list so you don't screw it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:26 PM   #34
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

/debby downer
From what I read Musk’s reaction is pretty much “meh it’s a fun experiment.”

I love it actually. It shows he really just cares about trying stuff and isn’t so concerned with results being exactly as he hoped. This is actually a quality of most outliers: fear of not having tried vs fear of failure.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #35
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware. I just prefer a more scientific look at it, and less rah rah type hype.
I get that, but think about how bored the general public got about space and shuttle launches (Homer and Bart frantically trying to change the channel when a launch was on TV). Elon and others have brought the energy back, people get pumped watching this stuff, I believe I heard about 2 million live streamed the launch yesterday. We could be looking at the beginning of our future off Earth, this stuff is insane and I love it.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #36
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
It is my understanding that they meant to miss Mars. It was a proof of concept. May is when it is the best window to reach Mars.

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/update-...ars-into-space

Quote:
The second stage and the car will coast in Earth orbit for a few hours, then the engine will reignite and the whole shebang will be on its way into deep space. Mind you, it's not going to Mars itself, but will instead be placed on an elliptical orbit that takes it as close to the Sun as Earth and as far as Mars. This is called a "transfer orbit", showing that the Falcon Heavy is indeed capable of sending packages to Mars.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:00 PM   #37
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks, totally going to watch that at home with the subwoofer cranked. Maybe I can shake some of the snow off my roof.
Nope, you need headphones to get the 3d sound effect - it's well worth it.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #38
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know what would be awesome. We launched a car into space. What if an alien culture did the same thing a few years ago, and our car and their car like collided and an interstellar war started because neither side insured their vehicle.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Nope, you need headphones to get the 3d sound effect - it's well worth it.
Won't work with 5.1? I'll try it anyway, I do not have good headphones.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #40
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Won't work with 5.1? I'll try it anyway, I do not have good headphones.
Nope. Recorded specifically for playback over headphones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post: