Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #161
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blue Jays go back to the well, select another Giants pitcher in Rule 5 draft

http://canoe.com/sports/baseball/tor...2-9880acf3c555

Quote:
The Blue Jays caught the Giants sleeping two years ago and returned to the well again on Thursday.

During the 2015 MLB Rule 5 draft, the Jays plucked pitcher Joe Biagini from the San Francisco Giants and the big right-hander turned into an outstanding reliever, though he struggled in a starting role last season.

In this year’s Rule 5 draft, held on Thursday at the Walt Disney Swan & Dolphin Resort, the Jays selected another pitcher from the Giants organization, right-hander Drew Muren. Muren was picked in the triple-A phase of the draft, not the major-league phase, meaning that they don’t have to keep the 6-foot-6 fireballer on their major-league roster for the entire season or offer him back to the Giants.
Quote:
Toronto GM Ross Atkins was relieved that the no MLB team took anyone from the Jays’ organization in the major-league phase of the draft — specifically catcher Max Pentecost and RHP Jordan Romano. They did lose third baseman Mitch Nay to the Reds in the minor-league phase. But other than selecting Muren and a couple of later minor-league picks — catcher Alberto Mineo from the Cubs and shortstop Ivan Castillo from the Indians — the Jays did not make a single deal at this year’s MLB winter meetings, though Atkins insisted that’s not necessarily disappointing. He said a lot of constructive conversations were held with GMs, agents and players this week that could turn into trades or free-agent signings over the next few weeks.
Quote:
Tim Raines is leaving the Jays. The Hall of Fame outfielder was the organization’s outfield/base running coordinator. Ron Sandelli, the club’s director of team safety, is also leaving.
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calculoso For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #162
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Not sure if it was even a possibility for the Blue Jays but CC Sabathia has re-signed with the Yankees.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-sabathia-y...-deal-1.945885
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:51 PM   #163
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever. The Jays management seems to be failing at everything they're trying this off-season. I've never complained about the Jays not spending enough, and they've made the best of the Canadian dollar handicap, but if they really wanted him they'd have overpaid to keep scoop him. It doesn't hurt that they didn't get him, but it does speak to Jays' management not being able to get anything done this year. I'm now going to wait for the panic sideways trade that turns out to be useless for today and useless for tomorrow.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #164
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Whatever. The Jays management seems to be failing at everything they're trying this off-season. I've never complained about the Jays not spending enough, and they've made the best of the Canadian dollar handicap, but if they really wanted him they'd have overpaid to keep scoop him. It doesn't hurt that they didn't get him, but it does speak to Jays' management not being able to get anything done this year. I'm now going to wait for the panic sideways trade that turns out to be useless for today and useless for tomorrow.
Agreed so far the new GM has not been able to do anything the last two years....

Another Winter meetings has gone by and the Jays stand pat.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #165
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
C.C was never going anywhere.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #166
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With Evan Longoria coming off the board and Baltimore taking Machado off the market, I wonder if the offers for Donaldson start to heat up.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #167
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can't see the Jays moving Donaldson. i don't think they'll get what they want and if they do fall out of it by the TDL I'm not sure the offers then would really differ from what they would get now.

Cardinals seem the most interested but even their GM has said he doesn't see value in paying top dollar unless he gets some control. I think if the Jays wanted to move Donaldson the 2016 off-season was the time to do. Doesn't make a lot of sense to do it right now.

Last edited by cross16; 12-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #168
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
With Evan Longoria coming off the board and Baltimore taking Machado off the market, I wonder if the offers for Donaldson start to heat up.
Is Machado off the market? There's rampant speculation among Cubs Twitter that the Cubs are working on a trade with the Orioles to get Machado, and the Cubs would trade Javier Baez or Addison Russell as part of such a deal. Both of those guys have several years of team control left, while Machado only has one year.

Most of the folks on Twitter are aghast that the Cubs would consider such a trade, especially if it includes Baez.

Am I crazy to think the Cubs should jump at the chance to trade Baez for one year of Machado? I love watching Baez play; he brings such joy to the game. But still, he has a terrible eye, is basically a league-average hitter, and while he makes a lot of flashy plays, the metrics I've seen don't seem to like him all that much as a shortstop.

I think Russell has a higher upside than Baez, but still, I'd be sprinting to make that trade.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #169
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I really thing this management group is going to turn out to be a monumental failure for the Jays. Sure, Shapiro and Atkins played a large hand in building a stout Indians club of the last few years but in all reality they were gone before any real success did occur and don't appear willing to stand up and make any significant moves one way or the other now.

If the team goes into another season without adding anything or at least beginning to move players out and rebuild, I won't be tuning in to watch the train wreck that will ensue. This standing pat on a roster that is seriously flawed is beyond aggravating.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #170
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Is Machado off the market?
All I've been hearing is that they're threatening to take him off the market if offers don't improve.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #171
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Can't see the Jays moving Donaldson. i don't think they'll get what they want and if they do fall out of it by the TDL I'm not sure the offers then would really differ from what they would get now.

Cardinals seem the most interested but even their GM has said he doesn't see value in paying top dollar unless he gets some control. I think if the Jays wanted to move Donaldson the 2016 off-season was the time to do. Doesn't make a lot of sense to do it right now.
Do they have a chance to be in it at the TDL? I don't think they do, their offense is going to be non existent. On paper they have a good pitching staff but all it takes is one injury and they are done, as they don't have any kind of depth, unless some of their prospects are ready to make the jump.

You are right about waiting till the TDL, the only thing that scares me about that is JD's ability to stay healthy. If he goes down before they can trade, there goes a chance to cash in on their only real trade chip.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #172
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Do they have a chance to be in it at the TDL? I don't think they do, their offense is going to be non existent. On paper they have a good pitching staff but all it takes is one injury and they are done, as they don't have any kind of depth, unless some of their prospects are ready to make the jump.
I do yes. 2nd Wildcard is pretty open and with their injuries they were 9 games back. Sanchez being healthy for the entire year likely eats into a good chunk of those 9 games.

Certainly don't think it's a lock nor do I think even the chances are that high. They still need help and they would need to stay relatively injury free to have a chance but I do think they should be a better team next year.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #173
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Do they have a chance to be in it at the TDL? I don't think they do,
They do. I wouldn't call it a likely chance because there are so many teams that are on a similar strata but they're not no hopers.

Quote:
If he goes down before they can trade, there goes a chance to cash in on their only real trade chip.
The Jays are either going to trade Donaldson soon (the offseason) or not at all. I mean how much do position players with zero years of team control remaining return at the deadline? Sure, pitchers can net you a good return but every team that's buying at the deadline will need pitchers and they'll be 1... maybe 2... that will need a 3rd baseman. So you need someone that wants Donaldson and both can and will pay a price significantly higher then the comp pick.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #174
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays just acquired Yangervis Solarte from the Padres, for mid level prospect Edward Olivares.

Early impressions/research tell me that this is a good return.

Versatile infielder who has mostly played 3B but can spell at 2B, 1B and OF. Has decent pop and production, will provide great infield depth for our oft injured starters.

Cheap contract under team control through the 2020 season.

I very much like and approve.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #175
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Seems like a major improvement over Goins and Barney.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #176
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Yeah, that's a good deal. Takes care of the super-sub spot we were told they really wanted.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #177
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Travis to the OF then?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #178
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Travis to the DL then?
This is more likely.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan21 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2018, 06:10 PM   #179
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan21 View Post
This is more likely.
With his knees on that turf? Yikes - I don't know.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like a solid pick up. Versatile player in the field and a switch hitter who can handle the bat.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote