Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2018, 09:34 AM   #1561
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certainly looks like West Brom are going to get relegated. Six points is a lot to make up in 10 games, especially with how dire they've looked for the most part.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #1562
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh....I think I'm going to be sick.

A Chelsea win tomorrow gives Liverpool sole possession of 2nd. For all thats worth.

Could I cheer for Chelsea? Even if it is against United? I dont know that I can do it.

Could Spuds drop points against Palace? Why not? Liverpool do it all the time! It seems unlikely though.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #1563
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I might regret this post, Palace has some injury issues at this point and we should take those three points. I hope that doesn’t come back to bite me!

I can’t cheer for Chelsea, basically at all. I think I would prefer a draw, settled by Conte and Mourinho trashing each other at the postgame presser.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:04 PM   #1564
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

My clients are hilarious. One just left saw the game on TV and said: "Go Watford!"

Oh? You're a Watford fan?

"Nope. Couldnt place them on a map, but #### Everton!"

Fair enough. Cant argue with sound logic like that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-24-2018, 12:37 PM   #1565
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Silly Everton....you're not going to score unless you dive in the box.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 AM   #1566
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big ups to Dele Alli, really cementing himself as the overwhelming favorite for Tokyo 2020. There really needs to be a ban at some point.

https://twitter.com/user/status/967754047724883968
Old 02-25-2018, 07:00 AM   #1567
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah he went down early there, but most players are going down in that situation. No penalty was given, and none should have been, so what’s your point? The witch hunt is pretty tiresome.

What did you think of the non-call for Dele when he was clearly taken down in the box?
Old 02-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #1568
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Witch hunt lol. Pointing out the weekly Alli dive is a witch hunt? I think we all know if he wasn't English he'd the most vilified person in the PL, far more than Mourinho. But I think we all see the logical conclusion of his diving coming up: Spurs, down 1-0 in the 90th minute to Juventus in the second leg, have Alli go down in the box with one of the most obvious, stonewall penalties we'll ever see. But his rep is his rep, and the ref waves it off, and Spurs go out.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:19 AM   #1569
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
The witch hunt is pretty tiresome.
or, you know, it's pretty tiresome when the biggest flopper in the league is constantly defended for his BS.

Ashley Young used to be the dirtiest cheat in the league and was ripped to pieces in the media, yet he never produced the number of dives that Dele has. But because he's part of the hip new young Three Lions nobody in the media bats an eyelash.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #1570
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Witch hunt lol. Pointing out the weekly Alli dive is a witch hunt? I think we all know if he wasn't English he'd the most vilified person in the PL, far more than Mourinho. But I think we all see the logical conclusion of his diving coming up: Spurs, down 1-0 in the 90th minute to Juventus in the second leg, have Alli go down in the box with one of the most obvious, stonewall penalties we'll ever see. But his rep is his rep, and the ref waves it off, and Spurs go out.
So no comment on the obvious foul that Alli wasn’t given? That was far more impactful than that nothing play you found a super slo-mo of on Twitter.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #1571
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that's what you get for having a certain reputation. The likes of Ronaldo and Robben missed out on countless deserved penalties in their career because they were known to be floppers. Too bad, but it's their own fault.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #1572
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly wish that one day we see a ref with the balls to go for the straight red in a situation like that, if only to send a message.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:38 AM   #1573
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
or, you know, it's pretty tiresome when the biggest flopper in the league is constantly defended for his BS.

Ashley Young used to be the dirtiest cheat in the league and was ripped to pieces in the media, yet he never produced the number of dives that Dele has. But because he's part of the hip new young Three Lions nobody in the media bats an eyelash.
I didn’t defend him and I agree he went down early.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #1574
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe not, but you said "most players are going down in that situation". That justification of dives just needs to stop IMO. And just to be clear, that's not an attack on you at all ... I read and hear that "everybody would do that" excuse far too often and it pisses me off

I can't wait to see a manager not named Mourinho get his hands on that United team and unleash the potential of Martial, Lukaku, Sanchez and Pogba. Down one nil and they suddenly start moving and tie it up within minutes. A damn shame that Mourinho feels the need to neuter them.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 AM   #1575
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whataboutism is becoming one of the go to defenses in situational arguments now. No one is saying only Alli or Spurs are divers, we all know every team has at least one Olympian on their team. But Alli has taken it up a couple notches the last few months to where he's now synonymous with diving.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #1576
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a shame Spurs got 3 points, I presume Kane dove the ball into the net?

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #1577
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its a shame Spurs got 3 points, I presume Kane dove the ball into the net?
Close, but Alli dove forward and knocked it on in the tackle, when Kane was there to touch it down just past the try line. Looked clean from my vantage point though.

(In reality, they scored off a corner and it was not one of their better chances. Honestly, they probably should have scored 3-4 goals and just were not good in terms of finishing at all. The most egregious and hilarious though is Aurier getting called three times for illegal throw-ins. That’s not his first time this year! How can a professional athlete not be able to do this?!
Old 02-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #1578
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Close, but Alli dove forward and knocked it on in the tackle, when Kane was there to touch it down just past the try line. Looked clean from my vantage point though.

(In reality, they scored off a corner and it was not one of their better chances. Honestly, they probably should have scored 3-4 goals and just were not good in terms of finishing at all. The most egregious and hilarious though is Aurier getting called three times for illegal throw-ins. That’s not his first time this year! How can a professional athlete not be able to do this?!
In fairness, its really up the ref. Most throw-ins are kind of Illegal from guys walking 10+ yards away from where the ball went out to doing the casual 'wrist-flip' throw-in.

The one that gets me lately is on corner kicks where they want the ball off the chalk-mark. I dont get that, is that half-inch difference really going to make or break your corner kick?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #1579
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goddammit Chelsea....you had 1 job.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #1580
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

awesome result. Sorry Locke!