Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2018, 08:33 AM   #1581
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kybb and Love are out of it. Monahan has been money since the day he came here and its not even debatable.

He's 13th in points for centerman ~ 10 points behind Sidney freaking Crosby.
He's 8th in Goals for centerman ~ 6 from the tops in the league (Evgeni Malkin)

He's 33rd in ATOI for centerman at 18:41 per game ~ well below what all the players ahead of him in stats are averaging and that's because the Flames actually are quite a bit deeper up front then we tend to give them credit for.

Monahan is legit ~ this thread is here to recognize this FACT ~ can we stop with the crap about Draisaitl and how Monahan isn't elite? His numbers clearly dispute that argument vehemently.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 08:40 AM   #1582
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan has had a number of very good games against the Oilers.

That is all.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #1583
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Kybb and Love are out of it. Monahan has been money since the day he came here and its not even debatable.

He's 13th in points for centerman ~ 10 points behind Sidney freaking Crosby.
He's 8th in Goals for centerman ~ 6 from the tops in the league (Evgeni Malkin)

He's 33rd in ATOI for centerman at 18:41 per game ~ well below what all the players ahead of him in stats are averaging and that's because the Flames actually are quite a bit deeper up front then we tend to give them credit for.

Monahan is legit ~ this thread is here to recognize this FACT ~ can we stop with the crap about Draisaitl and how Monahan isn't elite? His numbers clearly dispute that argument vehemently.
Listen I love Monahan as much as the next guy, but I hesitate to label Monahan as an elite centre in the NHL.

Humdinger of a shot, pretty good on faceoffs, but he just doesn't dictate the play like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Kopitar or Tavares.

I think those stats you listed indicates he's definitely a very good NHL centre but i just can't label him as elite.

The Flames have a long list of extremely average top line centres, especially over the last 15 years or so, so it's obvious why Monahan stands out.

Conroy, Langkow and Jokinen are a who's who of very OK centre ice man. Monahan is and will continue to be better than those three but this team hasn't had an elite C since Doug Gilmour.

But hey Monahan is awesome and I hope he keeps improving!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #1584
DynamRyan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Listen I love Monahan as much as the next guy, but I hesitate to label Monahan as an elite centre in the NHL.

Humdinger of a shot, pretty good on faceoffs, but he just doesn't dictate the play like Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Kopitar or Tavares.

I think those stats you listed indicates he's definitely a very good NHL centre but i just can't label him as elite.

The Flames have a long list of extremely average top line centres, especially over the last 15 years or so, so it's obvious why Monahan stands out.

Conroy, Langkow and Jokinen are a who's who of very OK centre ice man. Monahan is and will continue to be better than those three but this team hasn't had an elite C since Doug Gilmour.

But hey Monahan is awesome and I hope he keeps improving!

Joe Nieuwendyk says hi, but I do agree that Monahan isn’t an elite centre....yet. Very underrated passer of the puck, very accurate shot, phenomenal release, and gets into the right positions. I think the only area where he truly lacks is carrying the play into the zone by himself, and maybe his stickhandling in close quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #1585
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamRyan View Post
Joe Nieuwendyk says hi, but I do agree that Monahan isn’t an elite centre....yet. Very underrated passer of the puck, very accurate shot, phenomenal release, and gets into the right positions. I think the only area where he truly lacks is carrying the play into the zone by himself, and maybe his stickhandling in close quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roger that! My apologies to Joe, I take full ownership on that glaring omission.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 10:13 AM   #1586
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan is a good player, he's not "elite" like Mackinnon and McDavid but I think he is in that Joe Pavelski tier and there's nothing wrong with that.

What's holding the Flames back from being a cup contender is not Monahan, it's the development of Bennett.

Bennett is suppose to be a core piece and form a quality 1-2 centremen punch for the Flames to make up for the fact that they don't have an "elite" number 1 centreman.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #1587
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Elite or not, dollars for production we are looking at a good deal 6.375 for the next 5 years (?). He is paid like the 63 point guy he has shown to be over the past few years, but looks to have taken another step, hopefully sustainable, towards scoring in the 70s.

For elite centres
Malkin 9.5
Kopitar 10
Tavares 5.5 now, but expiring and will be paid
Crosby 8.7
McJesus 12.5 (!)

If Crosby took fair market value, you are starting to look at the bar for an elite center starting in double digits.

Tre locked this kid up at the right time.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #1588
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Monahan is probably the best (non-entry level) contract bang for the buck center in the league. 30-40g scorer, clutch scorer, face off man. Is he elite? What is elite? How many elite centres are there? 5? 10?

No particular order, who's clearly ahead now?

Crosby
McCheeseburger
Malkin
Tavares
Stamkos
Bergeron?
McKinnon?
Toews?
Kopitar?

Call me a homer, but i can find 5 that are definately better. 10? Not sure I can. So elite? Again, what's elite? Top 5? He's not. Top 10? Probably. Top 15? For sure.
Dajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #1589
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elite is an over-used term. It is meant to identify the cream of the crop, the head and shoulders above the rest type of player. If you name more that 3-5 players then you're watering down the definition. Monahan is a great player, love him on the Flames, but he is not elite, along with 98% of NHL centres.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #1590
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan doesn't really have a chance to carry the puck into the zone very often since Gaudreau always does it and is better. I think Monahan is actually decent at this as we see every once in awhile.. We would see it more if he was on a different line.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #1591
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who cares what ppl want to use as a measuring stick for elite status in regards to Monahan..

He's a beauty and we are lucky to have him.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Hamilton are all young top end players and I'm glad they will all be Flames for years to come.

If Bennett and Jankowski reach their potential we will be setup for years of a high end team.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #1592
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Monahan is a good player, he's not "elite" like Mackinnon and McDavid but I think he is in that Joe Pavelski tier and there's nothing wrong with that.

What's holding the Flames back from being a cup contender is not Monahan, it's the development of Bennett.

Bennett is suppose to be a core piece and form a quality 1-2 centremen punch for the Flames to make up for the fact that they don't have an "elite" number 1 centreman.
I wouldn't use the term with MacKinnon yet.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 01:58 PM   #1593
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He's in that somewhat obscure tier below Crosby, Malkin, McDingus, Tavares (elites?), in a group with the likes of MacKinnon, Seguin, Kopitar, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, who don't have a lot of separation between them. He's basically smack dab in the middle of there. He'll have to show some impressive consistency and improve upon other facets of his game to flirt with that elite group in the future.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #1594
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In 4 games since Monahan got shut down for the year, Johnny has 0 points.

The sample size is small but perhaps him and Mr. Garbage Man have a symbiotic relationship rather than Monahan just riding Johnny's coattails.

I like Sean Monahan.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 PM   #1595
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan scored 22 goals in his rookie year without Johnny.

It's a myth (and frankly its garbage) to think Monahan is a nothing player without Johnny, and many people here think that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #1596
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
He's in that somewhat obscure tier below Crosby, Malkin, McDingus, Tavares (elites?), in a group with the likes of MacKinnon, Seguin, Kopitar, Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, who don't have a lot of separation between them. He's basically smack dab in the middle of there. He'll have to show some impressive consistency and improve upon other facets of his game to flirt with that elite group in the future.
All those players you listed are better than Monahan. By a pretty decent margin too IMO.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 01:22 PM   #1597
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny doesn’t get assists if Monahan doesn’t pot the goal. It goes hand in hand.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #1598
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
All those players you listed are better than Monahan. By a pretty decent margin too IMO.

I did not purposely thank this post. Just pointing that out. Tapatalk won’t let me unthank.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #1599
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Monahan scored 22 goals in his rookie year without Johnny.

It's a myth (and frankly its garbage) to think Monahan is a nothing player without Johnny, and many people here think that.
He's definitely not garbage without him. But there's no denying they feed off of and benefit from each other. Both their numbers probably take a dip without playing with a player of their caliber and skill set.

Some people use that as a knock against Monahan. Such a dumb argument, as if having chemistry with another player is somehow a bad thing
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #1600
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
He's definitely not garbage without him. But there's no denying they feed off of and benefit from each other. Both their numbers probably take a dip without playing with a player of their caliber and skill set.

Some people use that as a knock against Monahan. Such a dumb argument, as if having chemistry with another player is somehow a bad thing
As if that doesn't apply to every player on every team of every sport of every all time
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:

Tags
#23 , 2muchwhisky , 600 goals 1300 pts , kybb79 meltdown , love trolling , man with master plan , messiah