Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #8961
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/967574691433951232
Old 02-24-2018, 06:43 PM   #8962
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a little much to say that Kanes lack of leadership and being able to drive Buffalo as a team out of the mediocrity that they have been for years. No one can save that team it seems they are the Oilers of the east.

Was Hall able to help Edmonton? RNH? Yak? Even McDavid is seeing the enormity of that task now and it’s no different in Buffalo - theyve had a plethora of opportunities and top picks to pull them out of the garbage bin but there comes a time where you have to consider the fact that maybe it’s the team management that is at fault.

I mean they just did a complete overhaul not too long ago on their management team and it seems to have pushed them even further back.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #8963
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
This 5 pts in his last 23 games is an odd argument - everyone knows Buffalo as a team has been playing terribly. On the year he’s yet again a 20/20 guy with season left in front of him and he’s only 26.

To me he checks a lot of boxes off; do I want us overpaying for him? Certainly not but if the price is right he would be a solid add IMO.
How is that an odd argument? It’s probably the best argument that exists in this situation. Oddly, Jack Eichel has been fine scoring nearly a ppg and consistently throughout the season as well. We’re not a Stanley Cup contender either and we might not even make the playoffs right now, so I’d rather keep the assets then trade for a big ticket player.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #8964
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane is hitting his career averages just fine - expecting him to score at Eichels pace is absurd. Kane helps distribute offense across 3 lines and we are currently 1 point back of home ice advantage. Lots of reasons to trade for a top 6 forward
Old 02-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #8965
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Kane was rumoured to have a huge ego with the Giants. He was not only a problem when leaving Winnipeg, it was throughout. In Buffalo he had troubles with the law and while the charges were dismissed, it was only on conditions insisted upon by the prosecutor who called him “boorish”.
So he's a cocky, confident, a hole. Is that really such a bad thing?
He did some stupid crap, and posted some childish pictures on social media when he was a young dumb millionaire.

Remember when Michael Ferland was an alcoholic who got charged with assault for getting in a bar fight?
Guys grow up, especially with proper leadership, and goals to strive for personally and professionally.

Remember when Taylor Hall was a terrible teammate, a cancer in the locker room, and the reason the oilers sucked? It's amazing what getting away from losers can do for a guy who wants to win.

I honestly think Kane would be a great fit here, and that the Flames would be a great fit for Kane.
He'd get to play his style, with skilled linemates where he can succeed and help other succeed. The team is young, and heading in the right direction, which keeps competitive players playing competitively.

Personally, I'd love to see him here, especially if Treliving doesn't overpay in assets, and can sign him to a Bennett like "show me deal", obviously the cap hit will be higher, but if he can be had for 2 years at $4.5-$5M I think it's a win.

We could run 3 lines of:
Johnny-Money-Kane/Bennett
Tkachuk-Janko-Kane/Bennett
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik

That's 4 power forwards on 3 lines, only 1 of which who hasn't proven to be a 25+ goal scorer yet.

Last edited by wretched34; 02-24-2018 at 06:56 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 06:54 PM   #8966
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kane is hitting his career averages just fine - expecting him to score at Eichels pace is absurd. Kane helps distribute offense across 3 lines and we are currently 1 point back of home ice advantage. Lots of reasons to trade for a top 6 forward
At an absurd price, no.

If Kane likes Western Canada, we can just sign him for free. No need to pay assets for 20 games and (4-28) playoff games for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #8967
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys/Assets I am willing to offer for Evander Kane:

Bartkowski
Brouwer
Frolik
Stone
Lazar
Hathaway
Wotherspoon
Klimchuk
Poirier
Stajan
Shinkaruk
5th round pick
6th round pick
7th round pick

Guys/Assets I am not willing to offer for Evander Kane:
Everybody/Thing else

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #8968
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
I've always wondered why Byfuglien gets a pass on the whole throwing Kane's clothes into the shower thing. To me that is a dick move, especially for a team captain. I always thought Byfuglien was an ass on the ice and that kind of move shows he is a bit of one off the ice.
Byfuglien was never captain in Winnipeg. It was Ladd, and now it's Wheeler.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:02 PM   #8969
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both Ladd and Byfuglien struck me as jerks, I think Kane's "issues" are blown out of proportion. He's the kind of player the team needs.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:03 PM   #8970
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Sens and Karlsson want trade to happen.
TB leading contender have thrown together multiple proposals
Other teams in the shadows out there interested
Nashville is one team, but Poile might be trying to drive up the price.

Yzerman wants Karlsson deal done but without roster player. Has offered 5 picks/prospects.
Ottawa wants a major roster player off Tampa like Point, Gourde, or Namestnikov
Friedman thinks it it was Namestnikov, Tampa would give him up

Sens will flip Ian Cole, have not started the immigration process to bring him to Canada.
Maybe get a 2nd or 3rd for him

Max Pacioretty wants to be dealt.
Ask for Wild was Coyle+. Wild not doing that. Talks have broken off.
Kings pushing hard. Habs asked Kings for Pearson or Tofolli - not going to happen. 1st pick round pick likely involved. Maybe Vilardi

Among teams interested in Plekanec: TB, winnipeg, Toronto

Boston the frontrunner for Nash, but need to make other moves to clear salary

Johnson and CBJ have broken off contract talks

unclear if Iginla is going to land with a playoff team.

Ducks a potential suitor for Vanek

Chris Kelly has agreed to terms with a NHL clubs after the Olympics. Heard it is a west coast team

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #8971
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
That Winnipeg team had great leadership. They traded Kane halfway into the season and then they made the playoffs. Guys like Ladd, Wheeler, Byfuglien and etc provided great leadership. That’s why they didn’t take Kane’s crap.

Buffalo I’ll give you because they’re rebuilding, but a player who’s played as many years as he’s had should be the one leading that young team and further, but instead they’ve consistently been one of the worst teams in the league. Too many cons, not enough pros for me.
If Ladd was a great leader why was he traded?

You mean this Dustin Byfuglien?

NEWS
JETS' BYFUGLIEN PLEADS GUILTY TO CARELESS BOATING; DRUNKEN BOATING CHARGE DROPPED

MINNEAPOLIS - Winnipeg Jets defenceman Dustin Byfuglien (BUFF'-len) has avoided a trial on drunken boating charges by pleading guilty to careless boating.

Byfuglien reached a plea deal on Monday, the day his trial was to start in Minneapolis.

Byfuglien was charged last August with boating under the influence and refusing to take a chemical test after an incident on suburban Lake Minnetonka. Careless boating is a misdemeanour, and Byfuglien was sentenced to a year's probation, two days of public service, a $1,000 fine and a day in an alcohol education program.

Defence lawyer Mitchell Robinson says Byfuglien had a 0.031 blood-alcohol content when tested on the lake, well below Minnesota's limit for driving boats or cars.

“After allowing the legal process to play out, we are thankful to see this matter resolved to the satisfaction of all parties involved," said Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff in a statement. "As an organization, the Winnipeg Jets are happy this is behind Dustin and he can look forward to the upcoming hockey season, along with the rest of the team and their passionate fan base.”

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #8972
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't want Plekanec.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #8973
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iginla? Not sure about his timing or speed but could possibly add to RW depth and bring leadership and truculence
Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM   #8974
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of reasons not to trade for him either. I didn’t say he needed to produce at Eichel’s pace. But you’re the one who excused Kane for not producing on a terrible team and I simply gave you an example of a teammate who has not been inflicted with the same ailment. I also doubt you’d be too excited if we ended up giving up a ton of assets only to have him only produce 5 points for us and possibly missing the playoffs anyway.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #8975
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
He did some stupid crap, and posted some childish pictures on social media when he was a young dumb millionaire.

Remember when Michael Ferland was an alcoholic who got charged with assault for getting in a bar fight?
Guys grow up, especially with proper leadership, and goals to strive for personally and professionally.

Remember when Taylor Hall was a terrible teammate, a cancer in the locker room, and the reason the oilers sucked? It's amazing what getting away from losers can do for a guy who wants to win.

I honestly think Kane would be a great fit here, and that the Flames would be a great fit for Kane.
He'd get to play his style, with skilled linemates where he can succeed and help other succeed. The team is young, and heading in the right direction, which keeps competitive players playing competitively.

Personally, I'd love to see him here, especially if Treliving doesn't overpay in assets, and can sign him to a Bennett like "show me deal", obviously the cap hit will be higher, but if he can be had for 2 years at $4.5-$5M I think it's a win.

We could run 3 lines of:
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik

That's 4 power forwards on 3 lines, only 1 of which who hasn't proven to be a 25+ goal scorer yet.
Please don't compare Kane to Ferland. What an insult. Kane isn't half the man Ferland is. He couldn't hold Ferlands jock strap.

Buffalo will be lucky to find a sucker to give anything decent for Kane.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 442scotty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #8976
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
HNIC:

Sens and Karlsson want trade to happen.
TB leading contender have throen multiple propsals
Other teams in the shadows out there interested
Nashville is one team, but Poile might be trying to drive up the price.

Yzerman wants Karlsson deal done but without roster player. Has offered 5 picks/prospects.
Ottawa wants a major roster player off Tampa like Point, Gourde, or Namestnikov
Friedman thinks it it was Namestnikov, Tampa would give him up

Sens will flip Ian Cole, have not started the immigration process to bring him to Canada.
Maybe get a 2nd or 3rd for him

Max Pacioretty wants to be dealt.
Ask for Wild was Coyle+. Wild not doing that. Talks have broken off.
Kings pushing hard. Habs asked Kings for Pearson or Tofolli - not going to happen. 1st pick round pick likely involved. Maybe Vilardi

Among teams interested in Plekanec: TB, winnipeg, Toronto

Boston the frontrunner for Nash, but need to make other moves to clear salary

Johnson and CBJ have broken off contract talks

unclear if Iginla is going to land with a playoff team.

Ducks a potential suitor for Vanek

Chris Kelly has agreed to terms with a NHL clubs after the Olympics. Heard it is a west coast team
Independent of the chatter here the last few hours I am surprised that Kanes name didn't even come up. 6 weeks ago he was pretty much the only rental being talked about. It also shows how quick this Ottawa meltdown has happened.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #8977
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post

We could run 3 lines of:
Ferland-Backlund-Frolik

I'm willing to give second chances. Kane has had more than second chances, though. And there's no comparison between Ferland and Kane as far as recognizing issues and dealing with them. Ferland was acquitted because he was actually targeted in a bar. Kane's behaviour was specifically called improper, though not criminal. He was suspended by Maurice well before the track suit incident IIRC.

As for "getting away from losers", Winnipeg seems to be winning, now, and while goaltending is the major factor, and Laine is now there, the other main guys on the team are largely the same.

If you think Kane is signing for $4.5 to $5M you are going to be surprised. He makes $5.2M now (actually $6M because his contract was back end loaded), and he will want a raise.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #8978
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we trade for Kane I am willing to bet Fox goes the other way. I like Fox a lot, I think he has top pairing potential but I also think he is not going to sign here. I have no inside track on that but I look at our depth on D and the fact we are a Canadian team and I think he will opt to go to FA if we retain his rights.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #8979
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in the olden days I still distinctly remember Saturday night Flames trades, of at least one...1986 when the Flames got Joe Mullen, and I thought there was another, later in the evening.

If there’s a trade to be had now, it makes a lot of sense to do it tonight.

Flames I think have tomorrow off but a practice Monday before flying to Dallas, so getting any new players in town for that Monday practice and plane ride would be more beneficial then having new player show up late Monday in Dallas for a Tuesday game.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:30 PM   #8980
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also don't think for a minute Kane will be looking for a raise on this next contract, he knows he is not getting big money given his play. He will probably want a show me deal of one to two years.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread