Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #81
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something to think about, if you want Teletoon, it might make more sense to record every (Dora/Deigo/Franklin the Turtle/whatever) show your kids watch for a month and then cancel the service. The kids really don't care, the shows are pretty much all really old anyway so its not like you would be missing much. The other alternative is just getting a Netflix account, as most of those shows are available there.

As for 720p, I am pretty sure that all broadcast TV is 720p, so not much you can do there.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #82
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Also is there a way to switch inputs on the remote? If I want to switch to my PS3 can I do it from the Shaw remote? I have not been able to find that function.
I don't have gateway but typically every Shaw remote comes with a little user guide pamphlet that tell you how to program your TV into the remote and also lists the codes to do so for most TV brands.

If your wanting to turn your PS3 on with the remote, you can't. PS3 uses bluetooth for controllers so a regular remote won't work. You can buy a PS3 a remote separately, about $25 for the sony branded one, others are cheaper. I have a logitech remote and bought an adapter for the PS3 ($70) that inputs the remote's signal into to the PS3.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #83
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I don't have gateway but typically every Shaw remote comes with a little user guide pamphlet that tell you how to program your TV into the remote and also lists the codes to do so for most TV brands.

If your wanting to turn your PS3 on with the remote, you can't. PS3 uses bluetooth for controllers so a regular remote won't work. You can buy a PS3 a remote separately, about $25 for the sony branded one, others are cheaper. I have a logitech remote and bought an adapter for the PS3 ($70) that inputs the remote's signal into to the PS3.

I will have to take a look when I get home and take a look at the remotes. I was not home during the installation yesterday and my gf doesn't really have a clue about any of this technology. All I want to know is how to switch HDMI inputs so I can switch from the cable box to my PS3. I was able to do it on my previous shaw remote but I do not see an input button on the gateway remote. The TV and volume controls are controlled on the Shaw remote but i currently have to use my SHARP remote in order to change to my PS3 input. Problem is I don't even know if i still have my original TV remote.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #84
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I will have to take a look when I get home and take a look at the remotes. I was not home during the installation yesterday and my gf doesn't really have a clue about any of this technology. All I want to know is how to switch HDMI inputs so I can switch from the cable box to my PS3. I was able to do it on my previous shaw remote but I do not see an input button on the gateway remote. The TV and volume controls are controlled on the Shaw remote but i currently have to use my SHARP remote in order to change to my PS3 input. Problem is I don't even know if i still have my original TV remote.
I don't think the Gateway remotes have the ability to switch your tv inputs. I've had the Gateway since it was first offered and that is one of the things the remote is lacking. That and an exit button. I'm not really a fan of the remote actually. Partly due to the layout of it and partly due to the lack of features that used to be available on the old Shaw remotes. But what can you do. I do enjoy the ability to record so many feeds at once. I can now have pretty much all my programs recorded on the early feed. So that's a bonus.
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sfpipes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #85
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpipes View Post
I don't think the Gateway remotes have the ability to switch your tv inputs. I've had the Gateway since it was first offered and that is one of the things the remote is lacking. That and an exit button. I'm not really a fan of the remote actually. Partly due to the layout of it and partly due to the lack of features that used to be available on the old Shaw remotes. But what can you do. I do enjoy the ability to record so many feeds at once. I can now have pretty much all my programs recorded on the early feed. So that's a bonus.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I think the remote is pretty slick looking but I agree the lack of features are slightly annoying.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #86
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah the remote is very limited compared to earlier shaw remotes.

The backlit feature is nice but I'm going to be buying a Logitech Harmony remote so my wife doesn't go insane.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #87
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
The backlit feature is nice but I'm going to be buying a Logitech Harmony remote so my wife doesn't go insane.
I would recommend them, they are fantastic. I bought a $120 one and it works great, you don't need to shell out $400 for the best one.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #88
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I would recommend them, they are fantastic. I bought a $120 one and it works great, you don't need to shell out $400 for the best one.
I would suggest anyone who is interested in a Harmony remote watch the Dell Day of Deals that is on now. They almost always have 1 or 2 pop up. Almost never the most advanced units, but those are severe overkill for most people unless they have a dozen devices they need control of.

For a listing of current models, features and # devices controlled etc, check out http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:10 PM   #89
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just set-up an appointment to get a Gateway and 3 portals installed. (27-Sep)

I will provide a review when it's up and running.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #90
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Did you get the promo?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 AM   #91
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I would suggest anyone who is interested in a Harmony remote watch the Dell Day of Deals that is on now. They almost always have 1 or 2 pop up. Almost never the most advanced units, but those are severe overkill for most people unless they have a dozen devices they need control of.

For a listing of current models, features and # devices controlled etc, check out http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes.
Logitech just announced realease of a transponder/iOS app for 100 so if you have apple product you can get that instead of an actual remote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #92
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think you are talking about the Harmony Link, that is one kick a** device if you have an iPad. I don't know if it is available in Canada.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #93
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I think you are talking about the Harmony Link, that is one kick a** device if you have an iPad. I don't know if it is available in Canada.

Not available anywhere as of yet here is link to website (pun intended)

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet...s/harmony-link

Last edited by fundmark19; 09-21-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #94
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my Motorola is now on the fritz - 5 years old, and that sucker was HOT on top when I pulled it towards me to give it a hard reset. One of these days I think the thing is just going to mail it in....

Are the new Shaw Gateways now usable, and have enough bugs been worked out? Do I have to have Shaw install it, or can I just pick one up myself?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #95
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They have always been very usable. The bugs are nothing that has stopped us from using the system the whole time. A new code update came out yesterday though to fix a lot of the bugs.

You will have to get an installer to do it and even then, sometimes they have a hard time. Not something you can do yourself.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OilKiller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #96
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does that code update get pushed automatically?
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #97
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Does that code update get pushed automatically?
yes and it is mandatory.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #98
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Not available anywhere as of yet here is link to website (pun intended)

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/tablet...s/harmony-link

Oh man that is slick.....I wonder if you can buy multiple links for all the tv's in your house and select on an iPad which one you want to control.

Sure hope they are available in Canada sooner rather than later.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #99
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can anyone tell me if the Gateway system will play moview from a memory stick like a media player?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #100
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

cant see why it would...