Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #41
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the posts on HF regarding this rumour see Gaudreau or Monahan going to other way in this trade. Absolutely insane. Am I taking crazy pills?

If the Coyotes don't trade OEL this offseason, the team probably isn't around to trade him next season. Nevermind that his contract will be considered one of the worst in the league in less than 2 years.

If the Flames trade for OEL, I firmly jump on the Fire BT bandwagon, because the team will be unable to compete with both OEL and Lucic on the payroll for the foreseeable future.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #42
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

OEL is a huge gamble. If we could send Lucic back in a trade then maybe I would be into it but Ricardodw hot takes are my favourites.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:27 PM   #43
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Lou doing a big time sell job on OEL right now on 960.

Scary times
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #44
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Scary times
Jesus Christ it's hard to be a Flames fan.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #45
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Most of the posts on HF regarding this rumour see Gaudreau or Monahan going to other way in this trade. Absolutely insane. Am I taking crazy pills?

If the Coyotes don't trade OEL this offseason, the team probably isn't around to trade him next season. Nevermind that his contract will be considered one of the worst in the league in less than 2 years.

If the Flames trade for OEL, I firmly jump on the Fire BT bandwagon, because the team will be unable to compete with both OEL and Lucic on the payroll for the foreseeable future.
Yeah no way Monahan or Gaudreau are parts of that trade unless Arizona is piling in a lot of goodies.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #46
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just remembered something as well - Lucic has a NMC. How do you convince him to go to Arizona? You don't. You can definitely convince him to waive his NMC for the expansion draft as everyone knows they won't pick him anyway - and if they did for some strange reason, I am betting that they will be a better team than Arizona right out of the gate. That's going to be tough for Treliving to convince Lucic to go there in any deal with Arizona, and having Lucic and OEL on the same team completely eliminates any and all hope of this team winning anything.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #47
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm.

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't mind OEL on the Flames.

Of course, it certainly depends a lot on what is going back to the Yotes though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #48
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the Flames have another bad contract besides Lucic we could send. Only way Gaudreau or Monahan should be included is if Keller/Schmaltz is included
Old 09-11-2020, 12:38 PM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a much greater opinion of OEL than this board does apparently. Probably doesn't hurt that he seems to always produce against Alberta teams.

I don't see concern with his contract. He'll be 35 when it ends, if this season was more of an anomaly as opposed to a decline, it's fine.

I think the biggest problem is that he is relied on so heavily for the Coyotes. Play the powerplay, the penalty kill, plus another 20 minutes a night with hard assignments, and then he needs to be the Captain and face of the team. He's so important to the Yotes that their (lack of) success is tied to him but he isn't the reason the team has had struggles. I'd like to see him surrounded by a team with solid coaching and more depth (if not star power to provide relief).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #50
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can the Oilers trade for this guy already so we don't have to hear his name mentioned with the Flames anymore?
Old 09-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #51
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I don't see concern with his contract. He'll be 35 when it ends, if this season was more of an anomaly as opposed to a decline, it's fine.
The issue is if it is a decline then the Flames are hooped.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #52
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I just remembered something as well - Lucic has a NMC. How do you convince him to go to Arizona? You don't. You can definitely convince him to waive his NMC for the expansion draft as everyone knows they won't pick him anyway - and if they did for some strange reason, I am betting that they will be a better team than Arizona right out of the gate. That's going to be tough for Treliving to convince Lucic to go there in any deal with Arizona, and having Lucic and OEL on the same team completely eliminates any and all hope of this team winning anything.
Actually I think Arizona is a pretty decent landing spot for Lucic in terms of where he might be willing to go.

If I am recalling correctly, I'm pretty sure he still owns a home and/or lives in southern California in the off-season. Phoenix to LA is like Calgary to Cranbrook.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #53
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hmm.

I guess I'm in the minority, I don't mind OEL on the Flames.

Of course, it certainly depends a lot on what is going back to the Yotes though.
I think OEL + Andersson would be a dominant pairing for the next 6 years, so I'm with you - but yeah, cost has to be appropriate.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #54
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Scary times
Lou is always a glass half-full type of guy. I'm not saying he panders to authority, but the Flames could make a terrible deal and he would find the bright spot in it.

I am not assuming that he has an agenda, but a lot of teams have media personalities that basically act as Information Ministers to sell the fan base on moves that might be unpopular. If that is indeed him, look out, because we could be in for a rough ride.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #55
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

The change of scenery angle has me more receptive to OEL playing for the Flames. He's been in Arizona forever now and it wouldn't surprise me if the team that acquires him sees a much different OEL than what the league has seen over the last number of seasons.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:44 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am concerned with how much this rumor is being discussed.

Only way it makes sense to me is if it is something like

To CGY: OEL($1M retained), Andersen
To TOR: Giordano, Kuemper
To ARI: 15th overall, Kerfoot, Rittich

Calgary gets OEL and a starting goalie they were once rumored to be after. Toronto gets a top Dman and starting goalie who has more term on his deal. Arizona gets a first rounder and a serviceable center and backup goalie.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #57
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I have a much greater opinion of OEL than this board does apparently. Probably doesn't hurt that he seems to always produce against Alberta teams.

I think the biggest problem is that he is relied on so heavily for the Coyotes. Play the powerplay, the penalty kill, plus another 20 minutes a night with hard assignments, and then he needs to be the Captain and face of the team. He's so important to the Yotes that their (lack of) success is tied to him but he isn't the reason the team has had struggles. I'd like to see him surrounded by a team with solid coaching and more depth (if not star power to provide relief).
The biggest problem with all of that is he is paid to be those things. He has produced very similar results at even strength over the last 2 season as Hanifin except his salary is almost double. Sure he plays against tough competition, but he struggles with it. With him hitting 30 it's hard to imagine he's going to get better. Do you really want an aging, $8.25 player on your second pairing?

You don't bring in a contract like that to give him less responsibility. Especially when our left side already has Hanifin, Gio, Valimaki, and Kylington.

It just doesn't add up. The only realistic scenario I see is that Arizona really wanted to shed salary and Treliving is smelling blood in the water. Get a useful player and some other pieces for next to nothing other than taking on the dollars.

Last edited by bax; 09-11-2020 at 12:48 PM.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #58
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The issue is if it is a decline then the Flames are hooped.
And what contract in the league can you not say that about? Gaudreau went from a 99 point player to sub 70 point player (pro-rated), what happens when he's a 40 point player next season making 7M?!
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:47 PM   #59
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Actually I think Arizona is a pretty decent landing spot for Lucic in terms of where he might be willing to go.

If I am recalling correctly, I'm pretty sure he still owns a home and/or lives in southern California in the off-season. Phoenix to LA is like Calgary to Cranbrook.
Yeah, if he figures he already has his cups and wants to play in a relaxed environment it isn't the worst place to be
Old 09-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #60
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the chances of an OEL trade are low for one reason - Cash.

Forget the cap number. OEL is owed $32 mil over the next 3 years - effectively a $10+M player.

For example, a team trading for JG gets him for 2 years @ $5 per if they trade for him after signing bonuses are paid.

Cash paid out is the real value for a lot of teams.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post: