Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should/Will the Flames keep Ward as HC
They shouldn't, but they will 282 46.31%
They shouldn't, and they won't 235 38.59%
They should, but they won't 26 4.27%
They should, and they will 66 10.84%
Voters: 609. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #21
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I just heard the argument on fan960 and its silly. They all said Ward should be the head coach and the Flames have never paid for big-time coaches in the NHL and they definitely won't now due to COVID and economic recession because guys like Gallant and Laviolette depend big money.

I don't get it. Aren't all NHL teams affected by this virus? Who even needs coaches. Most of all, due to the economic downturn, they will probably demand less money. I am sure none of them are willing to sit out for a year because the economy isn't moving anywhere fast.

In other words, yes the Flames owners don't have a lot of money but that also means that salaries are probably going to decrease and coaches will take less money to stay in the league and be relevant.
Agree - spend to the cap, but go budget on the coach is so stupid. You spend money to make money.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #22
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
They absolutely should not, but they probably will because it is what they do. They constantly settle for mediocrity and are unwilling to pay for a proper head coach.
This. Coupled with the fact that none of the big name coaches available are touching the Calgary situation with a 100 foot pole.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #23
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
This. Coupled with the fact that none of the big name coaches available are touching the Calgary situation with a 100 foot pole.
I keep reading this type of opinion and can't help but think its a total woe is me level of belief.

Why in the 9 hells wouldn't a coach want to come here. Even with the idea of trading Gaudreau there's so many good pieces here. Its still a ypung team with a ton of talent. With the right guidance can really turn into a great deep team.

I get losing sucks and its fine to be bummed or upset but this entire narrative that nothing is good here and its a black hole where light cannot exist isnt very useful.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 07:27 PM   #24
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Because they are a coach killing group. High quality coaches don't want to come somewhere that is cycling through new coaches each year.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
^Because they are a coach killing group. High quality coaches don't want to come somewhere that is cycling through new coaches each year.
The group is going to change significantly
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:47 PM   #26
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

****that's a little b i t ch way to ask a poll question, clown****
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #27
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
****that's a little b i t ch way to ask a poll question, clown****
What??
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #28
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

I don’t know. A good coach with a pedigree should know they bring something better than the sequence of GG / Peters / Ward, and expect that they would have the ability to command respect.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #29
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Ward, I thought he did alright in the playoffs, other than the goalie change, BUT, i'm sick of the rookie coaches.

You need a veteran coach with a young mentally fragile team.

PAY UP PLEASE.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:00 PM   #30
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames are so good at killing head coaches that they are able to permanently murder a HC’s chance of ever working at the same level again? Well if they hire a Laviolette or equivalent, and the same thing happens to that guy after, I won’t even be that mad, more impressed than anything else.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:06 PM   #31
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter, Keenan, Brent Sutter, Hartley and Peters were well paid coaches. Burke, obviously not a coach, but hockey ops, must have had a big ticket as well. I think the owners are willing to pay for pricey hockey people. Just need to find the right one who wants to come here as well
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #32
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
The Flames are so good at killing head coaches that they are able to permanently murder a HC’s chance of ever working at the same level again? Well if they hire a Laviolette or equivalent, and the same thing happens to that guy after, I won’t even be that mad, more impressed than anything else.
Look at who they hire. These aren’t guys that are getting looks anywhere else. If it is a name coach it is a guy that is getting his last kick at the can like Keenan or Hartley. The guys with less experience like Playfair, Gulutzan, Peters, Ward are all meh and have had little no no success anywhere else.

Brent might be the only guy that should maybe get another look. He got the Flames to 94pts with PTO Brendan Morrison as the number 1 C. 3 90+ point seasons with a very mediocre roster lead by players 33-35 years old
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:17 PM   #33
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Will Darryl be willing to un-retire and get back into coaching? I would like to see him if the Flames can't hire a big name coach like Laviolette or Gallant...
lazypucker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 08:20 PM   #34
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that's accurate. Have we actually bought in a high caliber coach, where he was considered great within the recent years of hiring, and he's been ruined after being with the Flames?

I definitely think the roster is the primary problem, but good coaches are able to make chicken ####, into chicken stew. Darryl Sutter is the perfect example of that. Both with the Flames, and the Kings.

Flames actually need to hire someone who has a strong resume, and is considered a hot commodity this off season, before we can really consider if the core itself is coach killers. Granted with the changes that should happen, it would be moot since the core may change a fair amount.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 08:21 PM   #35
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Sutter, Keenan, Brent Sutter, Hartley and Peters were well paid coaches. Burke, obviously not a coach, but hockey ops, must have had a big ticket as well. I think the owners are willing to pay for pricey hockey people. Just need to find the right one who wants to come here as well
I think Darryl said he'd coach again if it was one of the Alberta teams.

Edwards should just override Treliving in this.

I've heard the "this isn't a Darryl type of team". Well, this team needs to change. It doesn't matter who coaches this team, it needs to get bigger and faster, it needs to become more of a Darryl type team because that's the type of team that wins in the playoffs.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #36
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Bringing in a new unproven guy would immediately lose Treliving whatever faith the fan base has left in him.

Stop trying to be the smartest guy in the room. This isn’t this hard. Jesus.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #37
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I would not classify the people that the Flames have hired as coaches as NHL coaches. Huge difference.

Why with a very young team was GG brought in? Ridiculous. Lost a couple of years of development of those young players.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #38
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team should definitely move on from Ward as head coach which is exactly why they probably won't. It is hard to believe they will get it right after decades of getting it wrong.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #39
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I read the question wrong. I picked 3 but meant to pick 1
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp: