Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #421
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
For me, it's tough because it's not like the Stars have found another gear these last two rounds. Or, some players got hot or Khudobin got hot.

They have not played an appreciably different or better game or style since the Flames series. They have just been consistent and methodical and wait for the opponent to make mistakes, which itself is a a solid trait. And, stayed away from injuries.

12 seconds of game 4. Tied going into third period of game 5 with one point shot getting through that didn't get through for the Flames. A terrible decision by the coach in game 6 in a tie game. Any one of those situations goes the other way and who knows. It may not have been Calgary winning the west but it certainly wouldn't have been Dallas.
I'm blown away at how patient and disciplined Dallas is. There game plan against Vegas, was:

1. Collapse around the goalie. Give up the "easy save" shooting lanes.
2. Wait for your chances.

No matter how far the team fell behind, they stuck to this game plan, and eventually they'd get a fast break or a PP and score. Even down by 2 over half way through the game, they didn't flinch.

Quite frankly, I don't think I've seen anything like this since the Devils won their cup in 1995 (yes I'm getting old). I don't think Khudobin is especially great. He's solid. He makes the saves he needs to. However, he doesn't face that many high chance scoring shots. He has an extremely disciplined team in front of him, that's great at clearing rebounds.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2020, 06:13 AM   #422
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Vegas had the easiest first 2 rounds in NHL history IMO

12th seed and then what would have probably been a 7-10 seed

Dallas was their first real test
Yes, but that was until they ran into a hell of hot rookie goalie in Demko. It ended up that the Knights had to 7 games against the Canucks which was a big test.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #423
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'm blown away at how patient and disciplined Dallas is. There game plan against Vegas, was:

1. Collapse around the goalie. Give up the "easy save" shooting lanes.
2. Wait for your chances.

No matter how far the team fell behind, they stuck to this game plan, and eventually they'd get a fast break or a PP and score. Even down by 2 over half way through the game, they didn't flinch.

Quite frankly, I don't think I've seen anything like this since the Devils won their cup in 1995 (yes I'm getting old). I don't think Khudobin is especially great. He's solid. He makes the saves he needs to. However, he doesn't face that many high chance scoring shots. He has an extremely disciplined team in front of him, that's great at clearing rebounds.
I think it's more circumstantial than anything else. The playoffs are about being in the right place at the right time and getting the bounces at key times. The Flames had them on the ropes and really should, could have won that series. The Stars made the 2nd round as much because the Flames choked as they outright won it. The Avs lost their starting goaltender which is a crippling blow for any team. As for the Knights I think we saw a crack in their armor against the Canucks in that they dominate possession and scoring chances but really the finish was lacking for a couple of rounds as the goals dried up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #424
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's more circumstantial than anything else. The playoffs are about being in the right place at the right time and getting the bounces at key times. The Flames had them on the ropes and really should, could have won that series. The Stars made the 2nd round as much because the Flames choked as they outright won it. The Avs lost their starting goaltender which is a crippling blow for any team. As for the Knights I think we saw a crack in their armor against the Canucks in that they dominate possession and scoring chances but really the finish was lacking for a couple of rounds as the goals dried up.
Circumstances are always a factor, but let's not forget that Dallas lost their starting goalie, too, and faced a lot of adversity with their coaching situation and the play of some top players this season.

On balance, I don't see how you can say they aren't the best team in the west this playoffs. People seem to want to fluff the Knights and the Avs cause they are sexy teams, but they weren't as good as the Stars this year.

And for the record, if I'm drafting a lineup to play one game for everything I have I've got Joe Pavelski on it.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #425
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Circumstances are always a factor, but let's not forget that Dallas lost their starting goalie, too, and faced a lot of adversity with their coaching situation and the play of some top players this season.

On balance, I don't see how you can say they aren't the best team in the west this playoffs. People seem to want to fluff the Knights and the Avs cause they are sexy teams, but they weren't as good as the Stars this year.

And for the record, if I'm drafting a lineup to play one game for everything I have I've got Joe Pavelski on it.
The playoffs and the regular season are two different things. I think in the regular season the Knights and Avs were clearly better teams but under the circumstances of the bubble and playoffs the Stars have been better. The playoffs is more about what teams/players get hot at the right time and luck which is why the best teams don't always win the cup.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:00 PM   #426
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The playoffs and the regular season are two different things. I think in the regular season the Knights and Avs were clearly better teams but under the circumstances of the bubble and playoffs the Stars have been better. The playoffs is more about what teams/players get hot at the right time and luck which is why the best teams don't always win the cup.
I meant best team in the playoffs (in the west, so far). I agree with your point about a team getting hot and luck, etc. My point is simply that I don't like to see their performance explained away by circumstances. The Knights were there, playing the series with their whole lineup intact and the won 1 game of 5 against the Stars. When it mattered the Stars played better hockey.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote